Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I think any comparison of Crean and Davis is inherently silly. Yes, I've done it before, but then sometimes I like being silly.

Crean is a much better coach than Davis. You might not be able to prove it by looking at their records, but watching what actually happens in games makes it pretty obvious. Davis' idea of an offense was to watch the NBA, see a play he liked and throw it in the playbook for Bracey Wright. There was no flow or strategy to the offense. His teams were soft as soft can be. Players never improved under him. They were what they were the moment they stepped on campus. DJ White is the perfect example of this. Davis had him playing as a finesse player in the high post like Jeffrees played. It wasn't until Sampson was hired that DJ became a dominating force.

When people say that Crean is no better than Davis it detracts from their point that Crean is not a great coach.

I think any comparison of Crean and Davis is inherently silly. Yes, I've done it before, but then sometimes I like being silly.

Crean is a much better coach than Davis. You might not be able to prove it by looking at their records, but watching what actually happens in games makes it pretty obvious. Davis' idea of an offense was to watch the NBA, see a play he liked and throw it in the playbook for Bracey Wright. There was no flow or strategy to the offense. His teams were soft as soft can be. Players never improved under him. They were what they were the moment they stepped on campus. DJ White is the perfect example of this. Davis had him playing as a finesse player in the high post like Jeffrees played. It wasn't until Sampson was hired that DJ became a dominating force.

When people say that Crean is no better than Davis it detracts from their point that Crean is not a great coach.

Crean's offense has no flow, some people have had complaints about that his entire tenure.  There are more people complaining about that same thing now.  The on court product really isn't much different.

Great coaches tend to have the track record to back it up, after a 15 year career.  History tends to repeat itself, Tom Crean improved Marquette to the point of mediocrity so what does that say about his tenure here?  Hint:  it's not great.

I would have to point out JS, that the Final 4 comparison isn't a good one either. Davis took a RMK team to the Final 4, CTC took a team just a few years out of near death penalty conditions there. Furthermore, Mike Davis started his head coaching career basically at the top, and has went consistently downward. CTC has at least a upward trend from rebuilding a Marquette program, to rebuilding a IU program. He has led neither to the top, and year to year success is not consistent, but I have to admit that he seems to have more going for him in coaching ability than MD did. 

Crean's offense has no flow, some people have had complaints about that his entire tenure.  There are more people complaining about that same thing now.  The on court product really isn't much different.

Great coaches tend to have the track record to back it up, after a 15 year career.  History tends to repeat itself, Tom Crean improved Marquette to the point of mediocrity so what does that say about his tenure here?  Hint:  it's not great.

Well, yeah, I'm with you in that Crean is not a great coach. Still, he's much much better than Davis.

Davis is one of the worst coaches in Division 1. Crean is a good coach. He's just not a top-tier coach.

I would have to point out JS, that the Final 4 comparison isn't a good one either. Davis took a RMK team to the Final 4, CTC took a team just a few years out of near death penalty conditions there. Furthermore, Mike Davis started his head coaching career basically at the top, and has went consistently downward. CTC has at least a upward trend from rebuilding a Marquette program, to rebuilding a IU program. He has led neither to the top, and year to year success is not consistent, but I have to admit that he seems to have more going for him in coaching ability than MD did. 

It still looks like more and more of a fluke as each year goes by.  The best he's done since is still 2 wins short of getting there.

Yes, Mike Davis inherited his best team and is on a downward trend.  It's not like Crean has shown anything other than consistent mediocrity though.  His predecessor at Marquette, Mike Deane, had still won 20 games in 4 of 5 years before Crean got that.  Marquette was wildly mediocre with him, and has been more successful with Wiliams has had his own players.  

I wouldn't put Crean as low as Davis, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a good coach.  Good at certain aspects, yes.

Well, yeah, I'm with you in that Crean is not a great coach. Still, he's much much better than Davis.

Davis is one of the worst coaches in Division 1. Crean is a good coach. He's just not a top-tier coach.

The results are what they are, and they really don't even reflect a good coach.  I'd say he's good at certain aspects of the job (recruiting, developing guards/wings, being an ambassador), but mediocre at the rest.

He's shown he can turn around a program in bad shape, I'll give him that, but he hasn't shown much more.  Marquette was mediocre with him as coach, so he improved the program but not to the point that some people seem to think.

Just a note, CTC's buyout is 12 million dollars and that is if he's let go after July 1st. So all of you jumping on that train better pony up.

I still say that was one ridiculously stupid contract.  That's not even meant to show how I feel about Crean's coaching, but those kind of buyouts so many years after one measly Sweet 16?  That is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

Glass has done good things, I think he's done a real good job overall, but man oh man he had to be on something to do that.

Here's the thing... Most of you are older or haven't played the game. I'm fresh out of high school basketball in Indiana. I remember playing and our fans having the same attitudes towards my coach and the team. Why would they disagree with what is going on? Because they have no clue about game scheme or strategies. They're just fans that think they know the game. IF CREAN OR THE IU MENS BASKETBALL TEAM WAS TO LISTEN TO EVERYONES BS THEN THEY WOULD BE WORTHLESS. For once in your life, trust the game plan and support the damn team!! It's not like your negative opinions make a difference anyway.
You're all just typical fans that act like they know the game. When things are going good, you all promise Crean, when things are going bad, this thread gets started.
It's absolutely absurd. I'm not one to publicly show my emotion. But I love my damn Hoosiers and this thread pisses me off. Stick to your career and stop creating negative vibes for fellow Hoosiers.
There's NOTHING better than INDIANA BASKETBALL. It's time that you all support this team.

Passionate fan/student of IU,

B'ster Detty
Twitter- @bsteezyweezy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Shameless twitter plug FTW lol

[quote name="cmooney6464" post="39524" timestamp="1392506209"]People need to remember what we lost and we have still beat Michigan and Wisconsin just stick with these kids this will get better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

I'm sticking with the kids but what have you seen that shows this will get better when it's gotten worse?

People need to remember what we lost and we have still beat Michigan and Wisconsin just stick with these kids this will get better.

I have to agree with Dakich, youth is no longer an excuse for this team.  Especially not for that shit show today.

I've always felt youth was only part of it though.

This year is going to be rough I'm not denying that I was meaning next year with the experience these guys are getting now and the guys we have coming in

[quote name="cmooney6464" post="39547" timestamp="1392506568"]This year is going to be rough I'm not denying that I was meaning next year with the experience these guys are getting now and the guys we have coming in

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Ya but if Vonleh leaves next year might not be a lot better