Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I just got done reading some stuff over on Rupp Rafters and wow do I feel stupid after reading some of those hill jacks posts. They think it is so impossible that we could land someone like Donovan.

They're completely obsessed with us.  Their mantra is "Indiana isn't our rival," and yet they spend most of their time talking about us.

1 hour ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

Friggin' DD is saying Alford will be our next coach right now on his broadcast.

Dakich likes to push buttons. If he's saying that it's just to agitate people. He's kind of fun to listen to but tbh, I'm not sure what he's done that makes him and others think his opinion is worth valuing? He was not a great player at Indiana. A middling coach at Bowling Green (at best). He seems to have the opinion that if you haven't personally played or coached them you're not worth listening to. Well, if you did it but were mediocre are you worth listening to? It's just the " 'ol boy network" thing. 

4 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

They're completely obsessed with us.  Their mantra is "Indiana isn't our rival," and yet they spend most of their time talking about us.

I know they are the worst kind of fans because they are both arrogant and stupid.

16 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/17/indiana-tom-crean-fired-jim-john-harbaugh

Interesting. Shots fired from Creans camp

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

As if I should give two sh¡ts about what the Harbaughs think....

10 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/17/indiana-tom-crean-fired-jim-john-harbaugh

I obviously don't know Crean personally and I'm sure he's a ok guy.  He did good at IU.  What happened to Riley was wrong.  The boos Crean got was wrong.  But let's face it.  He was being paid 3+ million a year and getting very mediocre results with the exception of 2 or 3 years.  That's a lot of money to be below average in high pressure coaching and with a place with high expectations.  Don't blame the IU administration or fans. If you're Crean, you have to eventually look in the mirror.

16 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

That is interesting. Wonder how Matt Roth felt...Mo Creek...Ron Patterson...

"For the last few years, they saw a coach who was running uphill, at a university that seemed to look for reasons to be disappointed by him." IU was as patient with Crean as you'll see at a P5 school, imo. Glass gave Crean everything he needed to be successful. He just couldn't do it. To try and put blame on IU is ridiculous. Coaches get fired all the time. I think both IU and the fan base hoped that Crean would be the guy for the job. Once it became obvious that he wasn't things went south a bit, but that's going to happen at any coaching job.  

That quotation irks the crap out of me. All you had to do was win basketball games. It wasn't veiled or complicated and trust me, nobody wanted you to win games more than your employers. And yet in 4 of the last 7 seasons, you flirted with a .500 record and bottom half of the B1G. As you said, Tom "It's Indiana". IU gave you at least 6 years before the real heat started. You wanted more? 

One more thing while im hot....what is this crap about "2 B1G titles in 5 years"...? Why are people framing the 2B1G titles in a 5 year period? If we discount the first 2 seasons...then that makes it 2 BiG titles in 7 years. Accuracy is a m*********er.

"For the last few years, they saw a coach who was running uphill, at a university that seemed to look for reasons to be disappointed by him." IU was as patient with Crean as you'll see at a P5 school, imo. Glass gave Crean everything he needed to be successful. He just couldn't do it. To try and put blame on IU is ridiculous. Coaches get fired all the time. I think both IU and the fan base hoped that Crean would be the guy for the job. Once it became obvious that he wasn't things went south a bit, but that's going to happen at any coaching job.  

They didn't have to look far. Come on.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Adillac said:

One more thing while im hot....what is this crap about "2 B1G titles in 5 years"...? Why are people framing the 2B1G titles in a 5 year period? If we discount the first 2 seasons...then that makes it 2 BiG titles in 7 years. Accuracy is a m*********er.

I'll take it one step further.  While I appreciate that Tom Crean worked his tail off for the program, even in the first 3 years I truly believe a great coach who instilled toughness and fundamental play would have been far more successful in that period.  Would they have won the b10, made the NCAA? probably not, but lack of fundamental basketball is a direct cause in why FCTC was let go.

Written by Jim Harbaugh's biographer, so consider the source.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I liked a post I saw on IUBB twitter so this is not original but I think it sums up what's expected at an elite bball program like IU----Tom Crean came to coach at IU because "It's Indiana" and he was fired because ""It's Indiana". You can be the best person or a great coach but in the end you have to perform at a high level and you are judged by your results. Without apology IU is an elite job with high standards. You meet them and you stay. You don't and you go.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hoosier in NC said:

There's a thread on Rupp Rafters for rumors that JBJ is interested in transferring to UK.  If he doesn't go pro I could see that being a possibility.  Hope not, but not too far-fetched.

No way. Not their caliber of talent with all the injuries.

Is this plausible:

Fred knew he was firing Crean 2-3 weeks ago.

-No vote of confidence for Crean.

-No extension for Tom after Big Ten Champ, and by press conference was evident it was not even really considered.

-They withdraw from the tournament in New York.

-BT from 247 says Crean is done and Billy is next hire.

-Other insiders say he is done and we hear about soft landings.

-Glass moves the NIT game to save optics on booing so as to not hurt negotiations with Billy.

-Glass gets word from boosters the money is there for Billy.

-Glass fires Crean 

if if this was even close to how it went down, then I take back what I said about Glass and give him a ton of credit.