Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I looked around the internet yesterday and I saw a lot of respect for IU from competing basketball fans.   Many people were saying Illinois, NC State and others were screwed now that the Indiana job was available.   People were saying that Crean did less with more than any coach around.  That word "elite" gets thrown around so often, it's  ridiculous.  Kentucky fans arguing with Duke fans about who is more elite?  They do that, as do other school fans.  Too many people worry about being crowned the best of the best.  It's such a dumb argument IMO.

43 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

This +1. Upgrading facilities is expensive and time-consuming. Upgrading a fan base? Very difficult. Hiring a great coach and bringing in difference making players? Relatively easy. For example Duke is "elite" for exactly ONE reason, actually one person and they will likely find out what UCLA did after the Wooden era. That guy is tough to replace.  

The Rupp Rafters board had a comment that Bob Knight made IU and no one else can win here.

Uh, we had two titles before the General walked in the door.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

The Rupp Rafters board had a comment that Bob Knight made IU and no one else can win here.

Uh, we had two titles before the General walked in the door.

Thank you!  I get tired of the "You were only good when Knight was there".  

Sensible conversation to clarify your stance without name calling, on the internet? What is this world coming to?!
Like to see people take this route.

Honestly I have always thought the majority of people on this site are great at that. 90% of the time it is what you quoted. We all get sucked into a bitchy argument here and there we regret, but that isn't the norm. Refreshing

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just because we are not currently elite doesn't mean we can't be again soon. The right coach makes the difference. We already have the money, the facilities, the high school recruits in our backyard. The five national championship banners hanging in the rafters.

To me, the real mistake was keeping Davis more than 2 seasons, hiring Kelvin Sampson when we had money to do much better. We wouldn't even know who Tom Crean was if we wouldn't have settled after Knight was fired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

Honestly I have always thought the majority of people on this site are great at that. 90% of the time it is what you quoted. We all get sucked into a bitchy argument here and there we regret, but that isn't the norm. Refreshing

Agreed, I pointed it out for the larger context of our current society. It's nice to see both sides clarify their statements rather than devolve into name calling and getting pissed off.

I was just listening to idiots on the Radio in Louisville.  Said IU fans were the most delusional fan base in the area and we are not close to an elite program.
I would argue that what makes you elite is a combination of a elite fan base (check), elite facilities (check), elite money (check), and elite coach (TBD). All we need is a coach. The talent and winning will return.
They make it sound as if it is impossible to improve our situation and that it is a zero sum game.  Only KY, UofL, Duke, NC, etc. can be elite and how dare we even try.
Pisses me off!!!!

Were delusional because the rest of the basketball nation wants us to remain irrelevant. They're scared what's going to happen once we
Make the big hire

Pretty much means he won't be

I just hope some of the basketball alums don't push Glass to do just that. Does anyone know if the older basketball alums are pushing for Alford?

I don't understand the whole "IU guy" thing. I just want to win at a high level and it isn't going to happen with Steve Alford.

I am tired of a one sided team. All offense and no defense. Reminds me too much of the colts the last decade.