Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Is there anyone here that still supports the idea of Coach Crean being our coach next year? Just curious.  

There are about 10 or so coaches who would have to turn us down before that became a justified discussion. Only concern about moving on from Crean would be rushing in to another bad hire resulting in another 3-4 years of mediocrity or worse.

At this point though, it's hard to imagine not having at least one better option than Crean want to come to Indiana next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Somebody give me some good gossip. Rumors are lies, it doesn't matter, but give me hope.  

My friend just texted me. Said he was at Wendy's getting some food right quick. The cashier told him Fred Glass was just there talking on the phone and he overheard him say press conference Thursday. My friend told me he was wearing an iu shirt so that's why he thinks the cashier told him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Double Down said:

All speculation on my part, but since no one asked, here ya go:

If Crean was getting an extension, it would have been announced by now.  Instead, he has a $4 mil buyout clause that drops to $1 mil on Jul 1st.  Firstly, kill whoever wrote up this contract.  Secondly, I'm sure they have lawyers neck deep in Tom's contract finding a way for him to let go before Jul 1st.  This may take a few days.  

I know I know...I'm just as fed up.  Just trying to guess as to what the delay is.  

I've been hoping for a while that this is the scenario playing out. If the buyout is the issue then just retain him until July 1st with no position and hire someone competent. 

I've had the sinking feeling all along that for whatever reason Glass won't let him go. Some people fear change so much they accept mediocrity because it MIGHT get worse. 

For those wondering what fans Will do of no change is made? Not a lot we can do. I'll just find other things to occupy my time and interest. I'm told old to care about a team that the administration doesn't value highly. You care and they don't? You're going to be very frustrated!

8 minutes ago, Double Down said:

All speculation on my part, but since no one asked, here ya go:

If Crean was getting an extension, it would have been announced by now.  Instead, he has a $4 mil buyout clause that drops to $1 mil on Jul 1st.  Firstly, kill whoever wrote up this contract.  Secondly, I'm sure they have lawyers neck deep in Tom's contract finding a way for him to let go before Jul 1st.  This may take a few days.  

I know I know...I'm just as fed up.  Just trying to guess as to what the delay is.  

At this point the buyout doesn't really seem to be an issue because as soon as he gets any sort of other job (coaching, commentary, etc) the amount IU has to pay him goes down 

1 minute ago, Kepner said:

At this point the buyout doesn't really seem to be an issue because as soon as he gets any sort of other job (coaching, commentary, etc) the amount IU has to pay him goes down 

That buyout is more than his annual salary.  The fear, as far as IU is concerned, is that Crean could just lay low for a year while he gets crazy paid and then finds a job the year after. 

3 minutes ago, RedsIUfan said:

I've been hoping for a while that this is the scenario playing out. If the buyout is the issue then just retain him until July 1st with no position and hire someone competent. 

I've had the sinking feeling all along that for whatever reason Glass won't let him go. Some people fear change so much they accept mediocrity because it MIGHT get worse. 

For those wondering what fans Will do of no change is made? Not a lot we can do. I'll just find other things to occupy my time and interest. I'm told old to care about a team that the administration doesn't value highly. You care and they don't? You're going to be very frustrated!

Honestly, I'm beginning to believe the administration and Mr. Glass himself actually embrace mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

Feel like we need to save the first post on page 1000 to be...

"Tom Crean has officially been fired."

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The book can't end at the climax.  My grandkids will have so many questions when I read this thread to them and it just ends at his demise! 

That buyout is more than his annual salary.  The fear, as far as IU is concerned, is that Crean could just lay low for a year while he gets crazy paid and then finds a job the year after. 

The contract is void if he doesn't immediately go after gainful employment. He can't do that.