Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Just now, LostInLouisville said:

Does anyone think Matt Painter would be a good replacement for Crean? No? I assume everyone is laughing now. Well, Matt Painter had two sweet 16s, two big ten titles and has missed the tournament three times in his time at Purdue. Congratulations everyone, we're Purdue.

Actually, they have a chance to add to that record this year to we're already behind.

THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING PEOPLE!!! Thank you! I'm a fan of IU not Purdue. IU is turning into Purdue.

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't fathom Crean coming back, but if he does, if I'm the AD part of a return is a complete sweep of his staff. You absolutely can not come back with the status quo. I hate to scapegoat the assistants, but you just can't bring this full staff back in tact, you have to at least give the optics that change has been attempted. 

Again, maybe not entirely fair, but some change has to occur. 

36 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

Nicely stated.

Maybe there is a correlation to putting former players on the Asst. bench.

Duke seems to get it.  MSU seems to get it.

Put guys on there that have lived the game (recently) and want to coach (that are leaders).  Problem is CTC won't accept it!

Calbert (would have been good)

Fife (would have been damn good)

Damon Bailey (what the hell, somebody that is connected and legendary to high school basketball)

...at this point it's worth a shot.

Both happened in South Bend.  Kelly was forced to scrap a bunch of assistants, and overhaul.  Also, some folks questioned bringing in Tommy Rees as QB coach? Frickin' brilliant.  Kid lived through purple faced Kelly, and TBH, wasn't that shabby of a QB at all.  Perfect hire in my opinion. 

Not sure how Elston fared on the bench, or if he's liked by the players, but, yeah, if Crean is somehow back, I get behind this line of thinking with revamped coaching staff and former players, either from IU or elsewhere, on the bench.

Go Cubs Go!

What a season--highs of beating Kansas and UNC and being ranked high and lows of our mid and late season crash. That is sort of Coach Crean's story in a nut shell. Too many ups and downs--we deserve to be a CONSISTENT winner. It's time for a change--it's time for a presser. I still believe it's coming!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

20 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

According to Albers, take it for what its worth! Rojo will have his degree this spring and has interest in playing closer to home.

Bye Rojo. He doesn't value the ball, play defense, pass to the post, and now can't hit the broad side of a Hoosier barn. I will be happy to see him, Blackmon, and Crean all hit the bricks. As I have mentioned previously, our guard play absolutely killed us this year. Both of the freshmen should have played much more early in the year.

Our loss was discussed on the Dan Patrick Show.  They ridiculed Glass for the decision to punt on the home game.  Also said that it would be surprising if we kept Crean.  Said maybe we were afraid that Crean would go on a run, as a possible reason for punting.  We also have an article on Deadspin about last night... great to be made fun of in multiple outlets.

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I have no insiders but Crean has to be gone now. Fanbase is speaking loudly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

That is why i'm so on the "if Crean stays i'm washing my hands of this" train. I just seriously cannot fathom how he is retained. 

The Hoosiers went down in a flaming fire ball last night symbolic of an exclamation point on a year of BUFFOONERY basketball. It more resembled BASKET WEAVING.
What will the IU administration do with this heap of ashes? Hopefully, they'll do the right thing and do it quickly!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Bye Rojo. He doesn't value the ball, play defense, pass to the post, and now can't hit the broad side of a Hoosier barn. I will be happy to see him, Blackmon, and Crean all hit the bricks. As I have mentioned previously, our guard play absolutely killed us this year. Both of the freshmen should have played much more early in the year.

Johnson and Blackman are a product of Crean's system. They look worse than they are because Crean wants them shooting 3's or attacking the rim. There lack of defense also stems from the lackluster system. The reason Kyle Guy went to Virginia was so he would improve his defense. I don't see anyone's defense improving under Crean. 

If he's not fired within the next three days (Wed-Fri) he's staying. 

It would be smart to fire him today so the NCAA tourney takes over tomorrow and everyone forgets about it. Fire him on Thursday or Friday, it will be the hottest topic then. Let us get our one day of pure bliss before Fred has to start looking through resumes. 

I know a high school coach that has ran Crean's weave and heave system the last 5 or 6 years. You know what happened? He went and got himself fired for inconsistent results. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

7 minutes ago, Chris Nieman said:

Seth Davis is saying on the Dan Patrick show "51/49% gone for Tom Crean. It's real close." How? HOW?!?!? I'm the most reasonable person and when i'm wrong i'll fully admit it but so far no one has given me a legit reason to keep this guy.

From a purely outside view, it's tough to fire a coach one year removed from Big Ten coach of the year and a Big Ten Title. However, if you actually watch the games you know there are all kinds of fundamental problems, even in the good years. I certainly hope Fred Glass has been watching the games and not listening the ESPN/SI/Sporting News summary of Crean's accomplishments. We'll see.

Edited by LostInLouisville

What we witnessed last night looked like J.V. basketball.  Horrible passes, dribbling off of feet, etc.
I'm stepping out of the box on this one. Every coach on that bench needs to go.
Do we not have basic basketball skills?  I don't care that you can shoot and dunk, dribble and pass the ball!!!
I feel that these are the mistakes that every coach on the bench has to own.  That's great that they are in top physical condition but for cripe sakes!!!

I don't know where you're from, but the JV team in my hometown doesn't play like that. our 7th graders do at times however!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, schoosier said:

I read Kyle Guy went to Virginia because of Bennett. No Hoosier kid who understands the game of basketball wants to play for Tom Crean, and I don't blame them.

He went because he likes Bennett and he knew that if he wanted a shot at the NBA he needed to improve his defense. He knew Bennett would help him so that. Which he has already in not even 1 complete season.

Another thing that pains me, is the people that are blaming the players for lack of leadership. Yeah. No. If one of my troops ****s up it could very well be an anomaly. If my whole squad is ******* up, that's on me. I'm obviously not doing my job. 

Well said

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, LostInLouisville said:

From a purely outside view, it's tough to fire a coach one year removed from Big Ten coach of the year and a Big Ten Title. However, if you actually watch the games you know there are all kinds of fundamental problems, even in the god years. I certainly hope Fred Glass has been watching the games and not listening the ESPN/SI/Sporting News summary of Crean's accomplishments. We'll see.

But like Kent Sterling said, if you like at the last 5 years yes 2 big ten championships, but the other 3 years 23-31. 23-31. That doesn't fly.