Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

1 minute ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I'm really hating Fred Glass right now. The only way I could trust him again is if he hires a big time coach

I don't think he would.  I'm not sure he would even try to get a big time coach.

We're talking about a guy that hired a football coach that with a total of 5 years coaching experience (3 a position coach) after not conducting an actual search.

5 minutes ago, sirhoosierlot said:

It really is a cool place to hoop. think about how many good players have played pick up in there 

Yep. I played with some of Knight's players up there. Those dudes could play. Don't want to derail the thread too much.  Can't believe IU won't play a home game in the NIT! 

1. If the narrative of the national media, that Crean will ultimately decide whether or not he leaves, is true, then things have gotten WAY out of control for Glass.  He cannot allow the coach of any program to exert that sort of power.  Basically, Crean is holding Indiana hostage if this is true. 

2. The Road Game: It would not be good for Crean or the University to have a half-filled Assembly Hall booing Crean throughout an NIT game that they might very well win.  If Crean is already gone this makes a lot of sense.  If he is still going to be around, the boo birds are going to be ready next season.  Rumor has it that a Fire Tom Crean group is growing among the students, as rallies are being planned.  Some students have been reports receiving emails and signing up.

3. The Coaching Search: Unless Glass has put out feelers and KNOWS that he has a legitimate shot at a Bennett, Donovan, etc.  He is completely foolish to wait on Tom Crean.  "We'd love to hire you coach Donovan/Bennett, but we have to get permission from our current coach first."

4. Insiders:  Its hard to know what to make of the insiders.  Many people have multiple motives for putting out information.  I love the forums, but those who operate them aren't hurt at all by the swirling, constantly changing rumors, this all keeps us glued to the screen clicking refresh.  Others love the attention they get when they release vague snippets.  I am not criticizing anyone specifically, it is just difficult to distinguish between all of these people with unknown motivations.

Ultimately time will tell.  I am very optimistic that he is gone.  I hope that his best days are in front of him.

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I don't think he would.  I'm not sure he would even try to get a big time coach.

We're talking about a guy that hired a football coach that with a total of 5 years coaching experience (3 a position coach) after not conducting an actual search.

He basically spurned Billy Donovan two years ago in favor of Crean. He might not have the balls to get a big time coach. If he doesn't get this right, he needs to go as well. Hell, it's already clear that the guy is a coward and is interested in just Crean and not the university. He needs to get the axe

So...back to the main topic of Crean's replacement. I'm all for BD or Stevens or Archie or Sean or even Marshall but what about Mike Brey at ND? He's taken them to back to back elite 8's and they play with passion and tenacious defense. Not to mention being in the ACC this year is a big feather in their cap since it was such a deep league.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

What a cluster****. I still don't understand why Glass can't just fire him. Soft landing spot or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Im beginnung to think even if he leaves fred will 100% mess up with the new hire. Fred is like a member of the three stooges. The guy is incompetent.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

He basically spurned Billy Donovan two years ago in favor of Crean. He might not have the balls to get a big time coach. If he doesn't get this right, he needs to go as well. Hell, it's already clear that the guy is a coward and is interested in just Crean and not the university. He needs to get the axe

He should be fired for that alone

2 minutes ago, Bgaines99 said:

So...back to the main topic of Crean's replacement. I'm all for BD or Stevens or Archie or Sean or even Marshall but what about Mike Brey at ND? He's taken them to back to back elite 8's and they play with passion and tenacious defense. Not to mention being in the ACC this year is a big feather in their cap since it was such a deep league.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think there are bigger worries than who replaces Crean, IF Crean can find a program that actually wants him.  We have a blithering idiot of a coward as an AD that doesn't appear concerned with his most visible program rather he's concerned about his buddy that helped him get the damn job.

Just now, LIHoosier said:

Wait, isn't the head coach being bigger than the program what the IU administration has been trying to avoid since Knight was fired?

Hell, at least with Knight we had a good coach.  Looks like Fred Glass is letting a wildly mediocre coach hold the program hostage.

40 minutes ago, dcoble9 said:

Tom crean and Fred glass = Insanity

Insanity = repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!

I always ask this 2 years ago when we missed the tournament we declined the nit bc " this is Indiana " according to Glass!

Now here we are missed the tournament but accepts the nit game!

What happened to "this is Indiana "?

Has his expectations changed?

Does he not care anymore?

P.S. fire tom crean to stay on topic emoji91.png

THIS IS INDIANA!!!!

didn't actually decline the NIT... we weren't invited, then we declined the CBI... 

6 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I don't know how true that is, but if it's true he should be fired on that basis alone.  It would mean he's a blithering idiot at best.