Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Help me!  I'm having a panic attack.  I'm envisioning FG plagiarizing this for CTC.

New Mexico AD Paul Krebs issued the following statement regarding the future of head basketball coach Craig Neal late this afternoon:

In order to end speculation, I’m announcing that Craig Neal will return and coach the men’s basketball team next season. The team went through a very difficult season with several injuries to key players that hindered the quest for a championship, and we were in contention until the final three weeks. Off the court, the team continues to be leaders in the classroom and in the community. I have high expectations of the program, as does Craig, and our on-court performance needs to improve. We have an excellent incoming recruiting class and we fully expect to return Lobo Basketball to the high level of excellence and achievement that our fans deserve.

40 minutes ago, recker222000 said:

I think he would recruit indiana well. He got wilkes to come half way across the country. Crean can't even get indy kids to come an hour doan the road. That needs to change. Alford is not I my top 5 so no I'm not pushing for him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Again, like it's been pointed out before, he can only recruit that well because of the location of UCLA.  Wilkes I'm pretty sure said he was going there for the connections he would get being in LA.  I admit I don't know about Alford's recruiting history before UCLA but I'd be willing to bet it is not nearly as good.

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Help me!  I'm having a panic attack.  I'm envisioning FG plagiarizing this for CTC.

New Mexico AD Paul Krebs issued the following statement regarding the future of head basketball coach Craig Neal late this afternoon:

In order to end speculation, I’m announcing that Craig Neal will return and coach the men’s basketball team next season. The team went through a very difficult season with several injuries to key players that hindered the quest for a championship, and we were in contention until the final three weeks. Off the court, the team continues to be leaders in the classroom and in the community. I have high expectations of the program, as does Craig, and our on-court performance needs to improve. We have an excellent incoming recruiting class and we fully expect to return Lobo Basketball to the high level of excellence and achievement that our fans deserve.

I'm always on high alert Friday evenings. Two years ago, he released a statement at 5 p.m. on a Friday announcing no change would be made. Typical Friday afternoon news dump when the majority of people aren't paying attention. 

I'm always on high alert Friday evenings. Two years ago, he released a statement at 5 p.m. on a Friday announcing no change would be made. Typical Friday afternoon news dump when the majority of people aren't paying attention. 

Creans future could be.decided tonight. A win bolds very bad for firing him. A have a sick feeling he wins the next two.

57 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

His stats everywhere else besides Iowa were really good. Including his stops before Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He's never put together a team that had both the offensive and defensive success to win a title. If history is any indicator, his 81st ranked AdjD team is going to flop hard in the tournament this year.

Alford.PNG

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Because Alford can recruit the type of players to give a team a chance to have a year like UCLA is having this year. They are very possible title contenders. Legitimate title contenders. Will they win? Odds say no. But he has as good as chance as anyone.

We had 1 year like that with Crean in 9. It ended in a sweet sixteen. Most people are pissed about that but those are the kind of years I want to have. Be in the top ten all year. Eventually you'll win one. And if not, then it was still a hell of a fun year.

Based on the top 30 ranking of every title winner in AdjO and AdjD since 2002, odds say he has no chance.

In his 22 years, he's assembled zero teams that ranked in the top 30 in KenPom's AdjO and AdjD. Crean has produced two.

Am I the only here that doesn't really care about this? I mean Knight was a great coach, possibly the greatest, but I don't lose sleep at night knowing he's still pouting about being dismissed because he choked a player and was an all-around d1ck is other situations.

I don't care either!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Just heard that Alford is very interested in the Indiana job if it becomes available. Would like to get back to his roots and where his family is from. Also said that his buyout at UCLA may not be an issue if they do not make the Final Four or better.

Hope this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Also said that the top three targets are Alford, Bennett and Donovan.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I hope not. Might as well keep Crean then

How? He has never progressed past the Sweet Sixteen and has missed the tournament more than 50% of his years coaching. He's actually a worse coach than Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree. He is not better than what we have now. These people that say they want him, but his tournament resume is as bad as Crean's

Let's see what he does this tourney.

So advancing past the sweet sixteen once his entire career. Is good enough? Crean made it by the S16 once. Anyone making an argument that we cant keep Crean because he doesn't get beyond the S16, but then say a coach who hasn't done it either can be our next coach makes no sense.

So advancing past the sweet sixteen once his entire career. Is good enough? Crean made it by the S16 once. Anyone making an argument that we cant keep Crean because he doesn't get beyond the S16, but then say a coach who hasn't done it either can be our next coach makes no sense.

Crean's had 9 years with top notch benefits and resources. Alford has had 3.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Love the logic... Crean has never had success in the tournament in 19 years coaching at Marquette or Indiana. But Alford! He just hasn't been given the right resources in 21 years coaching in the B1G, MWC, and at blueblood UCLA.

At UCLA so far, went to the Sweet Sixteen twice and then completely missed the tournament. Talk about inconsistency. Reminds me of another coach at a blueblood school...

Crean only succeeded last year because of Yogi. Well... Alford's current PG happens to be a projected top NBA draft pick and one of the most talented PGs in college basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well said! I really don't think they would be for the hire had he not played for IU!