Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Alright, I know everyone is coming up with sources these days. So take this FWIW. 

Just talked to an old college roommate who knows someone with connections to the athletic department. This guy apparently says Crean is for sure gone at the end of the season and IU is trying to help him land somewhere. Just confirming what all the other sources are saying about Crean. I know this doesn't help with a new coach but wanted to post it. 

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

For an AD that forced Curt Miller and Kevin Wilson out of their positions - not arguing if that was right or wrong - I can't fathom going after Alford and the personal character baggage he drags behind him apparently dating all the way from his days on campus as a player to the handling of the Iowa rape matter and the other innuendos about him at Iowa and New Mexico that do not speak highly for his personal character.  

I'm no lawyer but Glass is. 

If Wilson was really treating his players the way it was reported, he needed to go - for legal reasons if nothing else. The university would have been sued. So I'd hardly say he forced Wilson out. Wilson made his own bed. 

Alford would do well at IU. I really believe that. He's has evolved. He understands IU more than any coach in College Basketball. He bridges the gap to RMK. Would repair relationships with IN HS coaches. And he'd most likely being Wilkes with him. While certainly not a home run, he checks more boxes than Clappy. I'll take anyone to get Crean out of this state.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

In 21 years he has never made it past the Sweet 16. He has missed the tournament all together almost half of his time. Who cares about bridging gaps to RMK at this point? What does that do for 16 year olds who weren't alive when he was at IU? Pleasing people 35 and over does not win games. Recruiting is more about pleasing AAU coaches than HS coaches. So I think that relationship is overblown. Other than that I agree with everything you said.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Alford resume after 22 years coaching at Iowa, New Mexico, and UCLA:

- never made it past the S16
- missed the tournament 12 times
- the alleged rape cover up at Iowa

Sounds like worse results than Crean, with a much, much shittier character.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

But does he clap annoyingly on the sidelines? DWS

Thankfully the choices are not just Crean vs Alford.  I think the whole thing is closer  being done than we know, and it's not Alford.

I say IU hire Cheaney with Fife as his head assistant and brings Bailey back as well.  If Alford wants to be the head equipment manager that's cool.  Of that doesn't work out they should see if Jerry Sloan is available.