Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

U mean like every team that has lost to Syracuse in the last 15 years since he has ran it for that long. They won a national title playing that 2-3 zone that teams had a full week to prepare for. While iu looked terrible against it don't act like it's a normal 2-3 zone with the length and height of the guards he recruits for his system. There was a reason their defense was the 7th adjusted defense that year. Just think how Marquette fans felt when they only scored 39 points in the elite 8 against the 2-3 zone

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Fair point, but I'm on the side we were unprepared for it. I can't remember the game exactly, but I believe there was very little ball movement.

Like I tell my team, the zone moves when the ball moves.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Which falls in line with all of what I just said

Yep sometimes the team that isn't the best wins(Villanova beating Georgetown for the title shooting over 80 percent for the game) and sometimes the most talented team wins (Kentucky winning it in 2012). It's part of college basketball

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Yep sometimes the team that isn't the best wins(Villanova beating Georgetown for the title shooting over 80 percent for the game) and sometimes the most talented team wins (Kentucky winning it in 2012). It's part of college basketball

My biggest gripe with that team though was that I knew that was gonna be Crean's best shot to win a national championship at IU. They didn't deliver and I was so mad because not only were they so good but I knew he wouldn't have that talented a team ever again at IU. I was literally heart broken

Fair point, but I'm on the side we were unprepared for it. I can't remember the game exactly, but I believe there was very little ball movement.

Like I tell my team, the zone moves when the ball moves.

That's fair, but my counter to that would be he has one 1 championship (with Carmelo Anthony) and the year IU lost in the S16 they were 5-5 against ranked opponents. I'm not saying they're not good, obviously Boheim is a HOF. But IMO there's no reason that IU team shouldn't have won that game.

Let's get back on topic..

Fire.Tom.Crean.

That 2012-13 season saddens me because I'd gladly take years like that every year.

Also, Tom Crean botched many games that year, not just Syracuse(Syracuse was good BTW. Really good). But we weren't even the slightest bit prepared.

That's fair, but my counter to that would be he has one 1 championship (with Carmelo Anthony) and the year IU lost in the S16 they were 5-5 against ranked opponents. I'm not saying they're not good, obviously Boheim is a HOF. But IMO there's no reason that IU team shouldn't have won that game.

Besides his championship he had 2 other years playing in the championship games(without melo) up until that point. Obviously he added another final 4 run that year with a talented team that had NBA players on the roster

As Wayne says back on topic fire crean

The "who wants it more thing" is not crap. Games are not just about talent but about passion, motivation and dedication as well

So you think Syracuse wanted to win more than IU? Because yeah that's crap lol.

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Any chance Crean gets fired if we go to Minnesota Wednesday night and get beat down? We have nearly a week after it before our next game. Plenty of time for an interim coach to get settled in. Plz Fred plz. 

It's The Barn... IU WILL get beat down... Crean's only won there twice in 9 years... just don't see it happening.

25 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

It's The Barn... IU WILL get beat down... Crean's only won there twice in 9 years... just don't see it happening.

A beatdown would make for a long week off for Crean. I could see more and more talking heads adding fire to his hot seat if we go up there and lose by 15+, especially if our guys look like they've turned on him.

10 hours ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I thought he could after this year, but can't say I've looked into it so could be after next.

after Westbrook signed his extension, he has the choice to opt out in 2018--which I fully expect him to do unless OKC can sign a free agent like Griffin this summer.

5 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

So you think Syracuse wanted to win more than IU? Because yeah that's crap lol.

I'm just telling you what I saw man. I'm sure IU cared but it sure didn't look like it. I loved that team with Cody, Jordy, Victor, Sheehey and Watford. I'm sure they didn't tank the game. But it was such a piss poor effort that day

6 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Or they just played harder. Did Syracuse not have a game plan when that temple team beat them earlier in the year. Losing happens regardless of having a terrible coach or a hall of fame coach. Sometimes it's just not your night

The gameplan is simple. Slow IU down and make them execute in the half court. Temple didnt have the overall talent to beat Indiana. But Indiana struggled big time. Suracuse did the same thing. They took away transition and forced IU into beating a zone that Crean has never beaten. Crean proceeds to pit Zeller at the top of the key. Louisville shredded the same zone using a guard at the top of the key. Crean should jave used Oladipo there and Zeller on the baseline. Zeller was so uncomfortable taking that shot he wouldnt shoot it. Terrible coaching by not using players in a manner to succeed. 

Look at Wisconsin, NW, and almost any game Indiana loses. Its always the same. Take away transition bc theu struggle in the half court. Add in continued turnovers,  and poor defense for thevoast 9 years. There are no more excuses to be made for the man. 

Really? To me Davis is way better than Holt. It's not close.

Holt was really good that year and never really given a chance. Crean gets stuck on something and then it becomes reality of the situation. With Davis he even said during his interview Davis wasn't good at playing pick 'n' roll defense. So TB is? JB is? In a game he even admits Davis was our best player, he plays him 14 minutes. That is the stuff he did with Holt, Fischer, and OG for a long time last year.

The gameplan is simple. Slow IU down and make them execute in the half court. Temple didnt have the overall talent to beat Indiana. But Indiana struggled big time. Suracuse did the same thing. They took away transition and forced IU into beating a zone that Crean has never beaten. Crean proceeds to pit Zeller at the top of the key. Louisville shredded the same zone using a guard at the top of the key. Crean should jave used Oladipo there and Zeller on the baseline. Zeller was so uncomfortable taking that shot he wouldnt shoot it. Terrible coaching by not using players in a manner to succeed. 

Look at Wisconsin, NW, and almost any game Indiana loses. Its always the same. Take away transition bc theu struggle in the half court. Add in continued turnovers,  and poor defense for thevoast 9 years. There are no more excuses to be made for the man. 

True, and the game plan against Syracuse is simple. Get the ball in the middle and cut on the seams of the zone. I personally don't like a gimmick regardless of who is coaching it.

Louisville also lost to that same zone that year as well. I agree there are no more excuses to be made for the man but to act like it was such a big upset losing to this Syracuse team is crazy in my opinion. I would argue the year before when we played VCU showed just as much how unprepared for a certain gameplan this team was. VCU was the better team for almost the whole game. We turned it over like we do this year. It took a shot by Will and then Shaka draws up a great play to get a shooter a wide open shot to win it, he just missed the shot. But since we won the game no one points to it.

Man I am glad that I decided not to listen to the coach's show last night, I might have gouged out my eyeballs and cut off my ears! Thanks for the review this morning, guys! Seriously what universe is he on? Yeah, we get it for the thousandth time you have injuries, so what? If you can't trust your other players, then why did you recruit them? Why in one of your previous interviews did you say that Gelon was still learning the sets and progressing? Why are you so against using the bench to get messages across?  Setting a player for a few minutes and returns with the same issues, should go back to the bench? Why do you go away from players who are having a good game and go back to the players that are struggling like they are going to turn on a switch and save the game? Your savior was the one that you took out of the game and limited to 14 minutes! Seriously, if we are going to loose a game, I would much rather loose that game with 5 players on the floor that are busting their a** and showing heart, than players that act like they don't want to be in there or are trying to hold back to prevent injury! Why do you feel like you have to give excuses for poor performances? Why not own up to it and admit that the players obviously do not understand what you are trying to accomplish/teach? Seriously when things don't go to the game plan, every player on the floor looks like a deer in headlights!

If I were Glass, I would be asking all of these questions and more!

At this point, I disagree with Dackich's take yesterday that if the team would listen to coach then they would win, Yogi figured that out. No, Yogi took over!

9 hours ago, Treesh said:

Crean had almost a full week to prepare for a 2-3 zone.

Imagine having having the privilege of knowing what defense your opponent will run and not being able prepared for it..

Not only did he have a week to prepare for this game, he had this game and almost a year to prepare for the ACC challenge game the next year and still came out lost as last years Easter eggs! That was the final straw for me. Seriously, how can you play a team in the tournament, then turn around and get embarrassed again in the next regular season by a team who's defensive strategy did not change? How hard is it to defeat a 2-3 zone? How hard is it to get your big to stand at the free throw line and break the zone? Seriously how many teams/coaches have Syracuse's number and can completely shut down their zone?