Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

29 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Exactly. As you can tell by my avy, I'm a huge Los Angeles Lakers fan. I've been wanting them to tank for the past three years and it's made me a happy camper as we've been able to secure young talent through the draft. Even this year, I want my Lakers to tank to get a high pick. Like I say, if you're not winning the championship, you should be winning the draft lotto. 

As for my Hoosiers, my love for IU basketball has diminished ever since we ran into the 2-3 Zone vs Syracuse. I had student tickets that year we were #1, great times were had. As soon as we collapsed vs a 2-3 zone, i knew something was up, it was the coaching.

The more we lose, the greater the chance we have at losing Crean sooner. What's the point of winning this season? We all know this team can't play defense, our offense is terrible, our basketball IQ is embarrassing, and our coach has no idea how to coach in the games. If we keep winning, we're just going to increase the odds of Crean saving his job and having more of the same junk for more seasons to come. This team hasn't shown growth at all this season , AT ALL! That's a problem.. 

The more we lose, the sooner we can begin the process of transitioning to a new coach with a new system. Dark times will be ahead in this transition, but it would be better that it comes sooner rather than later. 

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't "Indiana" basketball anymore. We're really no different than West Virginia in terms of programs these days. It's quite sad. My perspective of wanting to lose may be radical (I am young haha) but I'm doing what feels right and doing what's best in terms of getting "Indiana" back. 

Yeah the middle of the pack in the NBA is the worst place you could be. Sneaking into the playoffs and getting swept in the first round doesn't help your franchise out at all. Cuban might be looking at that this year. 

I mean, what's IU's best case scenario this year? Getting into the tournament and losing the first weekend? That's nothing to be happy about and with our injuries it would probably be enough to keep Crean around. Then OG, JBJ, and TB will all probably leave and Crean will have his excuse for another rebuilding year. And around and around we go on the Crean roller coaster. I can't root for wins or be happy about them knowing that each one puts us closer to that nightmare scenario. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah the middle of the pack in the NBA is the worst place you could be. Sneaking into the playoffs and getting swept in the first round doesn't help your franchise out at all. Cuban might be looking at that this year. 

I mean, what's IU's best case scenario this year? Getting into the tournament and losing the first weekend? That's nothing to be happy about and with our injuries it would probably be enough to keep Crean around. Then OG, JBJ, and TB will all probably leave and Crean will have his excuse for another rebuilding year. And around and around we go on the Crean roller coaster. I can't root for wins or be happy about them knowing that each one puts us closer to that nightmare scenario. 

Exactly Exactly Exactly!

We need to put an end to this cycle before we are forced to experience it even longer. At this point, I imagine we are going to be without James and Thomas for sure next year. OG should go pro, but he may love College too much to leave. Either way, a rebuilding year is more than likely in our future next year. With not a single hope of a decent 2018 player coming here, it looks like Crean might be running out of options..

I still expect Crean to "resign" next April. But a total collapse to this season and missing the tournament very well could lead to him "resigning" this year. 

20 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

Crean please leave,but not for Steve.

The upside of trading Crean for Alford would be, I don't believe he'd be any worse than Crean and if he didn't work out here, we could finally put to rest all of those fans out there that want him so bad.  Everyone would be able to move on and could unite the fan base.  Or he could succeed.  He's not at the top of my list, but seems to me a win win either way.

53 minutes ago, maxwell said:

Yes I do.  Mavs Coach Carlisle hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the last five years losing in the first round in four years and not making the playoffs in 2013 .  Cuban has stuck with his man and so I'd disagree with the statement Cuban would have not have Crean around today.  I believe both Cuban & Glass look at the development of the entire program versus some of the immediate results of wins & losses that we as fans get emotionally exhausted over. 

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dallas_Mavericks_seasons

We agree to disagree; the beauty of btb.

14 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Exactly Exactly Exactly!

We need to put an end to this cycle before we are forced to experience it even longer. At this point, I imagine we are going to be without James and Thomas for sure next year. OG should go pro, but he may love College too much to leave. Either way, a rebuilding year is more than likely in our future next year. With not a single hope of a decent 2018 player coming here, it looks like Crean might be running out of options..

I still expect Crean to "resign" next April. But a total collapse to this season and missing the tournament very well could lead to him "resigning" this year. 

Take Thomas off the team last night and that's likely the team we see next season, all season. Scary thought. Of course add in the new recruits coming in, but I don't see any of them being ready to contribute major minutes by next year, or even what the freshmen this year are giving us. With Crean as our coach we know we'll see the same stupid mistakes we see all the time now, and we won't have the talent to overcome them. 

2 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

The upside of trading Crean for Alford would be, I don't believe he'd be any worse than Crean and if he didn't work out here, we could finally put to rest all of those fans out there that want him so bad.  Everyone would be able to move on and could unite the fan base.  Or he could succeed.  He's not at the top of my list, but seems to me a win win either way.

But it would be RMK 2.0.  You could never get rid of him without going through the same crap we still go through with the RMK lovers.  

19 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

I want Crean gone as much as anyone. Yesterday would have been too late, or a great day. But, I never wish for a Hoosier loss. I have watched them for more than 60 years, that has never crossed my mind.

I'm with you about wishing my Hoosiers would lose.  NO WAY that would EVER cross my my mind.  I will even take it a step further ... I will never wish for the coach of my team to be fired either.  I don't always agree with ALL of the decisions made, but he's the coach and it is his decision to make and live with it.  To each their own I guess ... GO HOOSIERS!

After listening to his pregame and postgame interviews, I remembered that I really like him as a man. I hope he lands a good job somewhere else, maybe as head coach of the Boston Celtics?

FIRE HIM! This is embarrassing

Everyone needs to remind themselves as they rip Crean that he is a good man who has done a lot for the program. He's taken us as far as we can go, and some may say it took too long, but no one (of character and quality) wanted to take on the project of rebuilding a blue blood with a rabid fanbase except Crean. I predict most will look back positively on the Crean years once we have some separation and additional success as a program.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

But it would be RMK 2.0.  You could never get rid of him without going through the same crap we still go through with the RMK lovers.  

Maybe if he is winning but if he is winning, would we want to get rid of him?  Unless he won a NC here, if he doesn't produce, I don't think anyone would be against getting rid of him at that point.  I just think what people are hung up on is the "possibility" of him being great at IU and they aren't going to believe he could fail until they see it with their own eyes.  He's actually probably more likely to fail given his history and the expectations that would be on him due to who he is but I'd still take all of that over what we have now.  Regardless of feeling about him, he is a better coach than what we have, I'm not sure he is the one to take us to the promise land though.

If iu goes 4-4 in the last 8 games they are going to make the tournament. Whichever 4 teams they beat won't matter. 3 of those road games are against teams that have flaws like iu and will be winnable. Minny started out good but they are definitely not as good as their rpi rating, Ohio st is in just as big of mess as we are, and Iowa Fran will try to out run iu like h tries every year. I'm not saying we will win them but out of all the road games we would play in conference those would be the most winnable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Maybe true.

But this team can literally lose to anyone on the road.

10 minutes ago, nixie said:

I'm with you about wishing my Hoosiers would lose.  NO WAY that would EVER cross my my mind.  I will even take it a step further ... I will never wish for the coach of my team to be fired either.  I don't always agree with ALL of the decisions made, but he's the coach and it is his decision to make and live with it.  To each their own I guess ... GO HOOSIERS!

Blind loyalty isn't always the best thing though... Why wouldn't you want a coach fired if he isn't producing results on the court? 

Maybe if he is winning but if he is winning, would we want to get rid of him?  Unless he won a NC here, if he doesn't produce, I don't think anyone would be against getting rid of him at that point.  I just think what people are hung up on is the "possibility" of him being great at IU and they aren't going to believe he could fail until they see it with their own eyes.  He's actually probably more likely to fail given his history and the expectations that would be on him due to who he is but I'd still take all of that over what we have now.  Regardless of feeling about him, he is a better coach than what we have, I'm not sure he is the one to take us to the promise land though.

I'm hung up on his cover up at Iowa. His shortcomings in the tournament are secondary.

48 minutes ago, gfunk69 said:

The dude fired Avery Johnson who had a 75 win percentage. If you think he'd keep crean and his barely .500 then idk what to tell you. He didn't get it done in the playoffs is the main reason so I have no doubt in my mind that he'd fire someone for not getting it done in the regular season. The only reason Carlisle is still around is probably because he won a championship

lol   At the end of the short vid Cuban clearly says "No. I don't want to buy out Tom Crean. I want to extend him not buy him out. So, hopefully he'll be around for a long time."

I struggle to understand why some of you would suggest that Cuban is BSing about extending CTC while at the same time he is donating millions to the university. 

http://wishtv.com/2015/12/17/mark-cuban-im-a-huge-tom-crean-fan/

Everyone needs to remind themselves as they rip Crean that he is a good man who has done a lot for the program. He's taken us as far as we can go, and some may say it took too long, but no one (of character and quality) wanted to take on the project of rebuilding a blue blood with a rabid fanbase except Crean. I predict most will look back positively on the Crean years once we have some separation and additional success as a program.

How do you know he is a good man? The high school coaches in indiana can't stand him. I think most men are good men so I'm not giving him a trophy for that.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Maybe true.

But this team can literally lose to anyone on the road.

This team has shown they can lose to any team with a pulse at home. That's why I love college. basketball. You never know until u tip the ball. Hell after Maryland lost to Nebraska at home Ken Pom projected them to lose the next 7 of 8 games. They have won 7 in a row since that loss

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, recker222000 said:

How do you know he is a good man? The high school coaches in indiana can't stand him. I think most men are good men so I'm not giving him a trophy for that.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Not specifically to recker222000 but to this broad paintbrush stokes that paints the picture that CTC offends ALL coaches.  If you are going to use this argument against Crean, would it be possible to state exactly what school's coaches he's offended and why.  imo After this is read several times without backing or explanation it really hurts the argument.

1 hour ago, HoosierRob said:

I didn't realize the last 4 of 5 games are on the road. No way this team makes the tournament.

I'll be shocked if we win any of those road games.