Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Just read through the ITH review of CTCs radio show. He talked about the players seeing the talk on social media and stuff, then says it can really effect them and their families as they are just a bunch of young guys.  A majority of the negative posts, that I have seen on various sites, are generally about Crean. Yeah there is some mention of players but it is generally related to how well or bad they play. It seemed to me like a "Well opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, but it doesn't mean anything," kind of response. Do you think that this is more of a response to all of the negativity toward Crean and not the players? That this is how he is responding passively, maybe?

Does anyone think it's the players and not CTC? Seems the general consensus is that IU has the talent so...... it's not the players. It's the coaching. Granted the negative comments will still get to them but it's not just social media. Is there any positive media about the team? None that I've seen. Maybe they rally around it, but I doubt it. Seems like an implosion is occurring.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

91ce270fcd09b73dfb8cd3582c7b891c.jpg

Communication signs are so 2015. We need to upgrade to communication beepers for each player. That way the other team doesn't know we're trying "two hand rebound."

Player 1: Dude he just two handed rebounded the ball! How'd he know how to do that without a card?

Player 2: He must be a psychic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, hsrtxp said:

Does anyone think it's the players and not CTC? Seems the general consensus is that IU has the talent so...... it's not the players. It's the coaching. Granted the negative comments will still get to them but it's not just social media. Is there any positive media about the team? None that I've seen. Maybe they rally around it, but I doubt it. Seems like an implosion is occurring.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It very well could be the players, but it could be the other way as well. Just stating that a majority of the negatives have been directed at the coach not the team. There has been a ton of praise for the freshman and complaints that they have never gotten enough playing time. That's the angle that I saw this. Sure there has been a lot of criticism toward JN, JBJ, and TB this year but in general, besides JN, it has been reaction to how they play. But you are right in the fact that there really is not any good news in the media about the team since the start of the slide.

To me the players just seem lost, lacking that floor leader, but they also seem to lack cohesion. They don't really seem to play well together as a team. Is that because of the old saying "got to get mine," the crazy substitution strategy for keeping players fresh, positionless offense, lack of general direction, BBall IQ, or something else? I really don't have an answer.

All of these players seem to come from being the top or near the top of their high school teams. I know that the recruiting rankings are not always very accurate, but on paper and through the potential that each have shown, all of them seem like really talented players.

Another part of the show that really got to me was this comment on Gelon:  “He can really shoot the ball and he can shoot it off the move. Just a matter of him learning the defenses and staying focused and locked in. He’s definitely improving.” Why is he still learning the defenses and such, what has he been doing all season and in practice?

I won't even go into his comments on the in game flash cards!

In my opinion the coach needs to go, like many have said love what he did to get us out of the dark ages, like him as a person, but I think his time at the reigns has come to a close. I wish him luck where ever he would end up. But my opinion does not ever trump my desire for this team and the players to flourish and do well. My wife asked during the NW game, why are you still watching you know they are going to lose? I can't not watch, I still want them to win no matter what the circumstances are. I still struggle to predict a loss in the prediction league, knowing that they were going to lose.

Die Hard IU fan till the day I die!

I literally cannot remember a time (obviously other than Sampson) where I've thought to myself in this kinda dumbfounded way, "what the hell is going on?!"  I mean laughing at our games, expecting to lose etc.  And to think we have no player savior coming in next yr on top of it if Crean stays.  I'm sitting here like, WOW!

Davis. Hands down was worse but the gap is closing.

Someone that needs to consider getting involved with college coaching is Yogi Ferrell.  He understands, leadership, communications and excels at all, "on the floor," aspects of the game.   

6 minutes ago, Naismith said:

Someone that needs to consider getting involved with college coaching is Yogi Ferrell.  He understands, leadership, communications and excels at all, "on the floor," aspects of the game.   

He is a little busy playing for the Mavericks right now.......

2 hours ago, reconmkd said:

Just read through the ITH review of CTCs radio show. He talked about the players seeing the talk on social media and stuff, then says it can really effect them and their families as they are just a bunch of young guys.  A majority of the negative posts, that I have seen on various sites, are generally about Crean. Yeah there is some mention of players but it is generally related to how well or bad they play. It seemed to me like a "Well opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, but it doesn't mean anything," kind of response. Do you think that this is more of a response to all of the negativity toward Crean and not the players? That this is how he is responding passively, maybe?

Only thing I see negative is 98% or so of Crean, and rightfully so! The other 2% is here about JN but mainly its Creans fault because he keeps playing the kid. Obviously, he's way in over his head here. Just what I see, think its been mentioned a time or 2

23 minutes ago, Naismith said:

I believe a change is necessary. Not so much regarding the embarrassment incurred this season and prior - but the inevitability of more of the same to come.

Where's the LOVE for this??

Dang.  This thread has the staying power of "The Dark Side of the Moon" album.  I hope it will be rendered obsolete - the sooner the better.

Well we have become comfortably numb. Soon people are going to run like hell.

Edit: different album but more fitting

9 hours ago, reconmkd said:

Am I the only one that sees Crean talking about how the anti-Crean chatter on social media as just a little bit self-serving? He's going for the sympathy with that crap. And ironically, if he could coach his way out of a paper bag, most of us would be happy to have him. But he can't and we aren't.

Tom Crean may well be the guy that Laurence Peter was writing about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

58 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Another part of the show that really got to me was this comment on Gelon:  “He can really shoot the ball and he can shoot it off the move. Just a matter of him learning the defenses and staying focused and locked in. He’s definitely improving.” Why is he still learning the defenses and such, what has he been doing all season and in practice?

I imagine it would be difficult to learn something that doesn't exist.