Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I don't understand why the supporters have to defend their stance in this thread. If you read the title, you know it contains statements that upset your view. Let the guys who do not support him vent those frustrations.

I'm not defending my stance, just offering different viewpoints. Isn't that what the board is about and happens in every thread, regardless of the title? :)

I don't understand why the supporters have to defend their stance in this thread. If you read the title, you know it contains statements that upset your view. Let the guys who do not support him vent those frustrations.

Ok buddy. You guys can be miserable. There's a hell of a lot to be proud of

Fwiw, and if this is anyway directed at me, I said it was hilarious which is quite different than being upset.

But good point, you guys have the vent session here, no opposition would probably be easiest on all the mods. It just seems like you're screaming into a wall but whatever works.

Fwiw, and if this is anyway directed at me, I said it was hilarious which is quite different than being upset.

But good point, you guys have the vent session here, no opposition would probably be easiest on all the mods. It just seems like you're screaming into a wall but whatever works.

Not in anyway toward you, Pap. It just feels ti me that replies as to the contrary opinion evoke angry posts from all views.

I'm proud of IU and and Coach Crean this season to be honest. We were unlucky to have to face UNC. Big, long, athletic. Maybe our worst possible personnel matchup.

We play Kansas next season right? I'm already worried about that matchup. Excited to see who leaves each program and our 2017 recruiting to see if we get Scruggs, Wilkes, Williams or where all this talent ends up. I actually kind of enjoy the off season, just wish it wasn't so long.

it's a forum for discussion. No safe spaces here. This is the thread to discuss Tom Crean's success/failure as a coach. It was made to keep the debate over his time as coach out of game threads, recruiting threads, etc.

Why would people post their opinion if they didn't want people to respond? Whether in agreement or opposition.

This thread should just be closed now. He's proven his worth. Time to move on and support our team and coach.

And just exactly how has he proved his worth? He did no better then he has this year. Yes he finally made some changes which only took 7 years, but the result was the same. Get put out early in the B1G tournament and a sweet 16 loss.

33 minutes ago, XLevel said:

This thread should just be closed now. He's proven his worth. Time to move on and support our team and coach.

How has one season done that?  He's done good coaching jobs before, for a year or two here or there, that's nothing new.  He has never once built on or sustained it, that is the problem and that is why this thread exists.  

I hope that I am banned forever!!  It was a great season and no I wanted more but I will tAke honorable losses over cheater wins any day!  Love my Hoosiers!! I

Yes, and we like our players and want to see them and enjoy their play more than "one and done."

To go after that national championship is our expectation and standard. There is a price to pay I think you all will agree. That is, we then must take steps closer and closer to the Cal's of the world and others you know. Do we seriously want to get so inexorably intertwined with that kind of recruiting and begin the process to morph away from who and what we are... Hoosiers? Just asking.

Crean's going to be back next year and I don't know how I feel about that. I felt pretty proud when they were talking about a "matchup between two historic programs with 5 titles a piece," but then I came back to reality and remembered that ours are 30+ years in the past. This year was a lot of fun and Assembly was rocking during Big 10 season. Crean showed improvement at times but I don't know if that's here to stay or if it was a flash in the pan. Crean's best seasons here have been Sweet 16's and in his worst seasons we struggle to even make the tournament. If we ever want to be relevant again that can't be the case. Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, their best seasons in recent years have been championships. They obviously don't win every year and they have their down seasons, but every year they expect to compete for a national championship. That's just not a reality for IU right now. I think Tom Crean has had enough time here to prove that he's not capable of doing that. It doesn't mean that he's not a great guy, it doesn't mean that the players don't love him, it doesn't even mean that he's a bad coach. He just doesn't have what it takes, imo, to get us back to the program we all want to be. Maybe he proves me wrong next season and we have another great year, I sincerely hope he does. I just won't hold my breath for it. It is what it is, and ultimately it's up to the administration to decide what kind of program they want us to be. If they want to be a good program that graduates players and has a chance to make the sweet 16 every few years, go ahead and keep him. If they want to go back to being a top 5 program in the country, or at least have a chance of it, then it's time to open up the check books and bring in someone capable of doing so. 

Yes, and we like our players and want to see them and enjoy their play more than "one and done."

To go after that national championship is our expectation and standard. There is a price to pay I think you all will agree. That is, we then must take steps closer and closer to the Cal's of the world and others you know. Do we seriously want to get so inexorably intertwined with that kind of recruiting and begin the process to morph away from who and what we are... Hoosiers? Just asking.

That is CBB now. It is isn't the 70's or 80' or 90's. Kids now want to go to the NBA. Why shouldn't they? Why should a college coach be trying to keep kids from going and playing with the best in the world? Cal recruits kids by telling them they're going to the NBA quick. Tyler Ulis told Cal he wanted to be at UK for 4 years. Cal told him he wouldn't recruit him if that was the case. I find that ok. He wants to see kids succeed at the next level. Isn't that what college is about? Working to be a professional? And the NBA says you have to be one year removed from HS. If you think "being a Hoosier" means to recruit 4 year players only then that is your opinion. Honestly that obviously hasn't worked in 30 years so it seems something needs to change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't mind the debate but honestly no one has addressed the fact that we have not passed the sweet sixteen in 8 years. All the arguments are asking us skeptics to base our decision simply through this year alone. This happens each year. One year we were exhausted down the stretch. Another year we had no three point shooters and next year no big man. Last year we needed another year of development. This year we just crossed with a superior team. When's enough? None of the supporters have actually discussed what their limitations are. They blindly just defend, defend, defend.