Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

For the people still supporting Crean how many more tournaments do we have to fail to live up to our desired Blue Blood status before he loses your support?  Or does tournament just not matter at this point?

Crean has never won more than 4 postseason games in a season.  NEVER.  At what point do we admit thats not up to our standard. 

Unfortunately an entire generation has passed from seeing a consistent winner. I think more new students and fans are being raised to settle for less. I've seen this first hand with St. Johns and how they are practically withered down from their glory days. I fear we are heading down that path.

Next year is the most crucial of his tenure. This year, he did slightly above expectations in reg season and slightly below in post season.

Problem is, most see next season as a "down season". It can't be. He needs to learn how to annually compete.

Next year needs to be solid plus a big 2017 recruiting class.

I wouldn't call a 5 seed above expectations. Look at the entire regular season and there is no way that is above expectations

4 minutes ago, Bittersince87 said:

Unfortunately an entire generation has passed from seeing a consistent winner. I think more new students and fans are being raised to settle for less. I've seen this first hand with St. Johns and how they are practically withered down from their glory days. I fear we are heading down that path.

I do not follow St Johns.

when do they play Sunday and how many games did they win their conference by?

just asking.

I do not follow St Johns.

when do they play Sunday and how many games did they win their conference by?

just asking.

Go ahead and settle. The big ten hasn't won anything since mateen Cleeves played for Michigan state . I thought we were a national university.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You guys can't possibly be serious.

Only a couple of teams go as far as their fan base dreams of.

This was a pretty damn good year, and if you didn't enjoy the IU basketball team this year, I'm not really sure how to respond.

Sigh.

I'm pretty sure more than a couple of teams have been to an elite 8 in the last 5-6 years.  Its not that Crean isn't consistently getting us there like Duke, MSU and UK.  Its that he hasn't even gotten us there once. 

I'm as critical of Crean as anyone, I've consistently said one season will do nothing to change my opinion of him and I still 100% believe he is not the coach we need to reach the next level.  That said, tonight isn't on him; UNC was just that much better.

I think this is reasonable. I think Crean was perfect for getting us out of the dumps, but he will not take us to the next level. He did show signs of growth this year though, so I'm excited to see if it continues into next year.

UNC would have beat anyone tonight, and I also think that's not on him. Disappointed, but proud of the team.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

I'm as critical of Crean as anyone, I've consistently said one season will do nothing to change my opinion of him and I still 100% believe he is not the coach we need to reach the next level.  That said, tonight isn't on him; UNC was just that much better.

Totally agree about this game.  That said, UNC is a better team. 

The depressing thing is that Glass refers to "Body of Work".  I don't think CTC scores very well in that regard, if we want to be one of the elites.  I fear and suspect, for many fans and Glass himself it's "good enough".

You guys can't possibly be serious.

Only a couple of teams go as far as their fan base dreams of.

This was a pretty damn good year, and if you didn't enjoy the IU basketball team this year, I'm not really sure how to respond.

Sigh.

I'm not asking to dream continuous national titles, just beyond the sweet sixteen. Wichita state, Dayton, Gonzaga, and Vcu have been to a place Iu hasn't . What's the end game here? Are we just a big ten happy team or a team that can play on a national level. Sadly I think our fan base has settled.

Just now, Never Daunted said:

I think this is reasonable. I think Crean was perfect for getting us out of the dumps, but he will not take us to the next level. He did show signs of growth this year though, so I'm excited to see if it continues into next year.

UNC would have beat anyone tonight, and I also think that's not on him. Disappointed, but proud of the team.

I'm not convinced it's "growth".  No one has ever alleged that he's incapable of good coach jobs.  One season doesn't mean he's grown as a coach, it means he did a good coaching job for one season which he'd shown before.

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Crean always seems to do just enough.   But listen, Nobody was beating Carolina tonight.   Indiana is in better shape right now than Kentucky.  There are good things happening.  There is no question he has to win consistently.  Absolutely no doubt.   Next season, if Indiana falls off the face of the Earth like they did 3 years ago, his seat will again be justifiably hot.   But....unless we're going to get Brad Stevens, I don't know that getting rid of Crean now is the answer.  

I am no big fan.  The fact still is he's made it past the sweet 16 just one time in his coaching career.  That will haunt him.  But for now, I don't think he should be on the watch list now.  And I have been a harsh critic.   He needs to land Romeo Langford.  He needs to land Robert Phinnessy. He needs to start building rosters he can be at the top with every single season.  1st, 8th, 7th, 1st is not Indiana.  

I can live with 1st, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st 2nd, 4th, etc.  That's Wisconsin.  That's Michigan State.  And there's no reason Indiana can't be in the conversation every year, except Crean seems to miss on so many recruits and tries to out think the room.   That's what bugs me now.   Just get the kids you know can and will help for 2-3 years, and get them every season.   Crean made changes this season, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing how we do next year.   We need to stay in the top 3-4 in the Big Ten or he's in real trouble.  At some point, facts do matter.  But I don't blame tonight's loss on him specifically.  We didn't have the size; and they made everything.  His career has a turning point right now....we'll see.

We are not in better shape than Kentucky.  They will almost certainly be a better team next year.  Where as we MIGHT be better.  But without the dynamic guard that made us really dangerous our ceiling will probably be lower.