Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

As crazy as this will sound coming from me I can't say I am too high over the UM game. Great game for us. But even as someone that has softened on Crean this year we have continually beat UM. Let's just let the year play out. He will either continue to impress or he won't. I am not sure the drastic swings from game to game change anything. Let's keep this up!

Yep. Looks like someone came in a little overconfident after that UM game...

Fred Glass from March 26, 2015:

"My goals for this program are to perenially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament and win our next national championship," Glass said. "Be elite, if you will. As a lifelong Hoosier and IU basketball fan, alumnus and current AD, nobody wants that more than me.

Given the disasters of the previous two seasons, I don't see how anything short of a 2nd or 3rd place B1G finish coupled with an Elite 8 run could save his job. Given the above parameters, I'm not even sure if those accomplishments should suffice.It's put up or shut up time.

Until he proves otherwise this was just lip service, to try and convince people he has expectations and cares IMO.  He should have done it after last season after 2 years of off court incidents and a team that was too friggin' lazy to even try to play defense.

And yet both come here to post your thoughts. It must be on your mind.

Simple fact is I still love IUBB, but find that it is better to distance myself from something that is just going to upset me, raise my blood pressure, and make it miserable in my house. I let the people that want to watch the games enjoy them. I keep up with the games in the game threads on here some if I want an update, and then will talk to the people around me when I want to know what happened. That also manages my expectations even more than they already are. 

He will probably get an extension if they make it to the second round

I would honestly say that he gets one if he is back in any manner. This is just based on the fact that recruiting is easier if you can show them a contract throughout there term at the University. 

If IU makes the tourney, Crean is back. That's out bar at IU now... Sad

Fred Glass just told the Sentinel that our goal is to win B1G championships and go deep in the tourney though.

I would honestly say that he gets one if he is back in any manner. This is just based on the fact that recruiting is easier if you can show them a contract throughout there term at the University.

Then there is no way he should keep his job. No way in hell has he earned an extension.

With the players he should be recruiting in '17, it shouldn't matter if he's under contract for their senior year, because recruits of that caliber won't plan on staying 4 years anyway. 

With the players he should be recruiting in '17, it shouldn't matter if he's under contract for their senior year, because recruits of that caliber won't plan on staying 4 years anyway.

As if Crean is going to win those recruiting battles. Every other team could have a postseason ban and Crean would find a way to lose them

Yep. Looks like someone came in a little overconfident after that UM game...

True but as you said, let this year play out.  Before the season started, did many people think we were going to win the B1G outright?

I thought there was a chance, but that we would contend throughout the season and finish top 3.  That's still obviously possible, and if we can beat Iowa, Maryland, Purdue, and MSU, then we'll be right there until the end.  Then the tournament just depends on matchups.

As you said, just let the year play out.

Piece from Kent Sterling:  http://kentsterling.com/2016/02/07/indiana-basketball-no-longer-must-see-tv-on-a-saturday-night/

You don't have to agree with it, but it summarizes quite nicely how many of us feel about CTC and the current state of IU basketball.

If IU makes the tourney, Crean is back. That's out bar at IU now... Sad

I don't think so.  Maybe I'm wrong or myopic, but I think our bar begins with the Big Ten.  We win it or come very close, I think it's fair to say Glass's bar has been reached for now, but I also think it has to happen again next year and perhaps the following.  Glass knows the bar is not reached in one given season, and Crean has still never won consistently.   

We finish 4th or lower in the Big Ten, "making" the NCAA Tournament may not be enough.  Especially with yet another late season collapse.

I also hold out the strong belief (which trumps everything else) that the replacement will dictate - to some degree - the next steps.   Right now, I truly believe based on what I know, the replacement list has one man on it.   That may be true for another couple of years.  As long as there's some hope of belief we can get that one man, Crean's bar gets lower...embarrassingly so, because it doesn't matter.  But....if that one man is never coming (and I also believe Glass and others have had those conversations with representatives if not him), the bar gets raised  to a normal level, and results in a given year matter that much more.  Crean needs to win this year AND next year to keep his job.  I firmly believe that.  But if he doesn't win this year, and keeps his job, I'll start believing my theory that the replacement has dictated our actions, not anything Crean does.   Essentially, Crean is a place holder rather than any long term solution.

I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong or myopic, but I think our bar begins with the Big Ten. We win it or come very close, I think it's fair to say Glass's bar has been reached for now, but I also think it has to happen again next year and perhaps the following. Glass knows the bar is not reached in one given season, and Crean has still never won consistently.

We finish 4th or lower in the Big Ten, "making" the NCAA Tournament may not be enough. Especially with yet another late season collapse.

I also hold out the strong belief (which trumps everything else) that the replacement will dictate - to some degree - the next steps. Right now, I truly believe based on what I know, the replacement list has one man on it. That may be true for another couple of years. As long as there's some hope of belief we can get that one man, Crean's bar gets lower...embarrassingly so, because it doesn't matter. But....if that one man is never coming (and I also believe Glass and others have had those conversations with representatives if not him), the bar gets raised to a normal level, and results in a given year matter that much more. Crean needs to win this year AND next year to keep his job. I firmly believe that. But if he doesn't win this year, and keeps his job, I'll start believing my theory that the replacement has dictated our actions, not anything Crean does. Essentially, Crean is a place holder rather than any long term solution.

The problem with a placeholder is it holds the program hostage. If it's Stevens then there has to be a timeline for the change or it's not a good idea imo. Sitting there without an end game idea of when a move will be made just keeps IU in mediocrity. Maybe Glass knows the timeline, maybe he doesn't. I know he is a smart guy and I don't buy the fanboy image some say he has towards Crean.

Must be lots of horrible coaching going on since the #1 and #2 teams lost yesterday to unranked teams...

Is it really that difficult for some of you guys to completely avoid this thread? If you don't like it, then avoid it. Every 3 or so pages someone comes in with the mindset like you and just makes a snide one off comment that doesn't actually add anything to the conversation. It gets old really fast