Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

My point is it's not about your opinion or my opinion on whether Crean deserves a next season, it's up to Glass. If we make the tourney and lose first round I say that's good enough for Glass. If you think Glass needs more then I hope you're right.

If that's good enough for Glass, he needs to be fired, too.  

My point is very simple. There is just no way, no matter how much you or others hope, that Crean will be gone if his team makes the tourney this year. Without a complete collaspe, it looks like they will. You can kick and scream and hold your breath til it's blue but it just won't happen. As for getting rid of Glass, that's not going to happen either. He is in charge of just more than basketball and quite honestly, he is doing a pretty good job at it. I'm done on this topic now. This season isn't close to over and until it is, I personally cannot judge if this season was a success or not.

He's right

Crean's most successful year was the 2012-2013 season. I don't think many can argue that.

With that said that team went 24-3 with wins over the #1 & #4 teams in the nation. Then proceeded to finish the season 3-3 with a Sweet 16 loss as a #1 seed.

The Crean haters could argue that team showed the exact same characteristics as most of his teams. Be it a result of a tough B1G season or bad matchups or him over working them I cannot say. But the record does speak for itself. His teams have historically peaked in Jan & early Feb.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed it does not happen again this year.

I have said before and I'll say again.....If Tom Crean is responsible for 200 things, he's done very well at 190 of them.  The problem is, at Indiana University - to keep fans and alumni happy, anyway - you have to win.  I think too much is placed on NCAA titles around here because so much goes into that beyond what a coach can control; and I don't use that as any kind of criteria for judging Crean.

But I do think being in position to win Big Ten titles consistently is a fair expectation here; and he's not done that.  There is no reason and no justification for 8th and 7th place finishes in his 5th and 6th seasons at Indiana.  None.  And, it's not just a one year thing, either.  Bo Ryan coached 14 years at Wisconsin and never finished below 4th.  In BCS conferences (I don't count Conf. USA in the 1990's), Crean's finished ABOVE 4th just one time in his career.  That's just a fact, and I've not seen anything to indicate he can do better at Indiana.

We all have our complaints about one coach or another.  I never thought Mike Davis understood where he was or the height of the expectations here.  I hated his recruiting focus on the south, and I hated when he said "help is on the way" when two shiny things were coming from Maryland and Texas while he had a roster full of kids that took him to the Final Four that very season.  He said more dumb things than anyone had a right to; and he was a horrible fit hired by a horrible president.  Neither Davis nor Herbert should ever have been in the positions they were.

But....from a purely basketball standpoint, Davis' and Crean's resumes aren't very different.  That's reality, too.

My complaint about Crean is three-fold.  One is I hate that he's shifted his primary recruiting focus to the east coast.  Indiana is a unique place with a unique culture, and we're starting to lose it because so many kids don't know of it or understand it.  Nobody has to agree with that, but nobody's going to convince me otherwise, either.   I think Indiana needs to own Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio.   I don't care at all when we go get a Thomas Bryant, but I'll never support prioritizing Stanford Robinson, Emmitt Holt, Max Hoetzel, etc over local kids.  There's just no reason for it.  

Second, I hate our half court offense because we don't move very well, don't cut or screen with purpose, and we don't do anything to get shooters open.  I grew up with Knight.  I don't want him back, and I don't necessarily want a "motion" offense the way people will argue that's what I mean.  But, he was a master at getting shots for his scorers, and I don't understand why we don't get Zeisloft 8 three pointers every game.  Why we never did anything to get Hulls open.  I don't understand why so much of what we do in the half court involves dribbling.  I also don't like that we don't show a consistent commitment to team defense.   We're better, but show many lapses. 

Finally, the off-court stuff and his fracturing local recruiting relationships are simply not Indiana's DNA.  Not "It's Indiana."   That - to me - now just looks like lip service.  I also think it's because he recruited a bunch of kids who had no idea where they were nor of the expectations of being a player at Indiana.  One mistake? I'll give any kid one mistake.  But 2, 3, or 4?  Idiotic.  I haven't cared for the leadership of his players since Hulls, Watford, Oladipo, etc. left.  I've not cared for what seems to be a care-free approach to turnovers and bad shots.  Etc.

I do love that we generally graduate kids and I applaud Crean's obvious passion for being accountable and building a great program.  I don't like the way he's doing it, and I don't think he can do what we need done consistently with this formula; but he's done a lot of things well.   That said, he's done a few very important things poorly; which is why his seat's hot.  And why people will continue to stay on his case until he proves changes have been made.  I am not currently on the "fire him" bandwagon, but if this team doesn't make a serious run and finish 1st or 2nd in the Big Ten, I really don't know how anyone wouldn't be.  Making the NCAA Tournament is not the bar, here.

Like (x10)

Bill Self quote after Kentucky win:  

“It’s not embarrassing, I don’t want to say that by any stretch,” Self said. “But if you have to go to a gimmick or a junk defense in order to be good defensively, then you’re not going to last very long. So we’ve got to tighten some things up.”

^^^^^ He gets it.  No matter what defense you are in, you have to have fundamentals.  If you are trying to outhink the room, your plan will not work. 

Amen to that!! All of it.

If we were okay with Crean's resume we could've kept Mike Davis, they are eerily similar.

You can say he went to a Final Four, which is true, but he's done nothing but wallow in mediocrity for the overwhelming majority of 17 seasons as a head coach.  That Final Four was also 13 years ago and he's done nothing to make it seem like anything other than a fluke.

Come on JS, he coached DWade. Isn't that worth something? :no:

Crean's most successful year was the 2012-2013 season. I don't think many can argue that.

With that said that team went 24-3 with wins over the #1 & #4 teams in the nation. Then proceeded to finish the season 3-3 with a Sweet 16 loss as a #1 seed.

The Crean haters could argue that team showed the exact same characteristics as most of his teams. Be it a result of a tough B1G season or bad matchups or him over working them I cannot say. But the record does speak for itself. His teams have historically peaked in Jan & early Feb.

Exactly! And lets not forget that BTT loss that many said doesn't matter but cost us the overall #1 seed to Louisville. Get that #1 seed and we don't have that "bad matchup" with Syracuse in the sweet sixteen.

Exactly! And lets not forget that BTT loss that many said doesn't matter but cost us the overall #1 seed to Louisville. Get that #1 seed and we don't have that "bad matchup" with Syracuse in the sweet sixteen.

Or the loss at Illinois that wasn't good.  And of course it included a horrendous in bounds play. 

if we would of taken care of buisness in our tournament it wouldn't of mattered what happened in the acc tournament tout I liked to look at that year and say Syracuse for us twice that year. Of course the terrible loss in the sweet 16 but they were up like 20 points on Louisville in the acc championship game in the second half and just totally feel apart and Louisville won. If they would of lost that game to Syracuse even with our showing in the BTT tournament we are probably playing in Indy. But like my dad always said if the dog wouldn't of stop to take a crap if he would of had a rabbit

Or the loss at Illinois that wasn't good.  And of course it included a horrendous in bounds play. 

That game bothers me still to this day.Mass substitutions at a critical stage of the game when you have the home team on their heels.

Also deciding to Zone a team who's only hope to get back in the game is shooting.That's when I really started having reservations about our guy.

I like our record in the Big.. can't ask for much more than losing to Wisconsin in overtime at their place. However, our defense the last couple of games has been pretty bad, so if we don't clean that area up, we aren't going to finish well against the best teams in the league. My thoughts on Crean getting canned, well that probably went out the door when JBJ went down. We would have to just totally collapse for that to change IMO.

I think the year before was the most successful season, as far as getting the ball rolling and building hype! Undefeated pre-con including the Kentucky win, and giving them their biggest challenge in the dance!

I believe the 2012-2013 season was the most disappointing, to be honest. Talk about a huge let down. Undefeated season talk before we ever played a game, just to lose on senior night, to wisky again in the B1G tourney,  and then in the sweet sixteen to the impenetrable 2-3 zone.