Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Let's throw a new name out there - Chris Collins. Jury is still out, but I'm watching what's going on in Evanston....

Not new. I put it out there a while ago. Smart and experienced. I think he's the next big thing, but northwestern is a hard place to win.

I think the argument has gone from "Crean stinks! Fire him!" vs. "No he doesn't! Just be patient and give him time!"

to

"Crean stinks! Fire him!" vs. "Well, yeah, he's not good, but leave the poor man alone! Fans like you don't make things any better!"

Exactly.

That is how I see things. Those who adamantly support him are very hard to find. Many politely support because he is the coach of our team.

I could see myself in this camp. I want a change but it is still Indiana to me. Growing up I had it instilled there are no names on the back of the jerseys for a reason. I have always viewed it that way. This to me is like the late 90s. A change is needed, but Crean does enough to continually keep his job. I just hope we don't have the bad breakup we did then. Only this time people would be happy not pissed.

Describes me to a tee. I actually like him and want to see him succeed here, but realize where we are. As long as he is our coach, I will continue to pull for him to get this thing turned around even while I fear he won't. That support doesn't make me an apologist, naive, unrealistic, or stupid. A change is needed, but I will continue to treat the man with dignity until one happens.

Question for the sake of discussion.  Based solely on his resume and what you've seen of his teams at Indiana, what makes you believe he can "turn this around?"   I think I know what you're trying to say here, which is supportive of the man but not the coach.  However, as admirable as that is, any "man" deserves support, but this coach - in my opinion - does not, and he has shown nothing in his career - again, in my opinion - which tells me he can succeed at a level Indiana fans expect; and he's a very poor "coach," meaning he doesn't make changes which allow Indiana the best chance for success against any given team.

Question for the sake of discussion. Based solely on his resume and what you've seen of his teams at Indiana, what makes you believe he can "turn this around?" I think I know what you're trying to say here, which is supportive of the man but not the coach. However, as admirable as that is, any "man" deserves support, but this coach - in my opinion - does not, and he has shown nothing in his career - again, in my opinion - which tells me he can succeed at a level Indiana fans expect; and he's a very poor "coach," meaning he doesn't make changes which allow Indiana the best chance for success against any given team.

I really don't believe he can. What I mean by support is pulling for him to do the impossible even when I don't think he will. Like I said, a change is needed.

I also mean not posting some of the off the wall hyperbole I've seen here. I promise you I am as frustrated by the current state of affairs as anyone here. However, I get a little tired of some of these posts I see that almost come across like people think he is sitting in his office with a number two pencil and a legal pad trying to think up ways for Us to suck.

He reminds me of a teacher I usesd to work with. Great guy, terrible teacher. I wouldn't want my kid to have him, but I always admired that he tried and I wanted to see him succeed.

I hope that makes sense.

I really don't believe he can. What I mean by support is pulling for him to do the impossible even when I don't think he will. Like I said, a change is needed.

I also mean not posting some of the off the wall hyperbole I've seen here. I promise you I am as frustrated by the current state of affairs as anyone here. However, I get a little tired of some of these posts I see that almost come across like people think he is sitting in his office with a number two pencil and a legal pad trying to think up ways for Us to suck.

He reminds me of a teacher I usesd to work with. Great guy, terrible teacher. I wouldn't want my kid to have him, but I always admired that he tried and I wanted to see him succeed.

I hope that makes sense.

Completely agree. That is what frustrates a lot of people really and some don't realize it. People continually act as if he doesn't see the same things he does and he is just dumb. Sometimes you can only lead a horse to the water. You can't make them drink it too. That's on him though as he recruited these kids.

I chuckle every time the media and the IU athletic dept. talk about how awesome our offense is. I realize that this is their job to find any silver lining they can, but do these people not consider our competition?

I'm pretty sure we played at least 5 teams where we were favored by 25 pts. or more. Our B1G schedule is very weak, so it may not change things as much as it would with a strong conf. schedule, but I'll be interested to see how rapidly those gaudy statistics disappear once we start playing quality teams.

I chuckle every time the media and the IU athletic dept. talk about how awesome our offense is. I realize that this is their job to find any silver lining they can, but do these people not consider our competition?

I'm pretty sure we played at least 5 teams where we were favored by 25 pts. or more. Our B1G schedule is very weak, so it may not change things as much as it would with a strong conf. schedule, but I'll be interested to see how rapidly those gaudy statistics disappear once we start playing quality teams.

i do not like the offense that iu runs like many others on here however the numbers as well as former coaches and professionals in the buisness praise the offense all the time. I would be willing to bet that every team in the top 10 in adjusted offensive efficiency have been favored by at least 20 points in at least 5 games this year Regardless of how weak our B1G schedule is we will still play over 10 games against top 100 competition. Last years team which is the same offense and players as this years team ( add Bryant for hanner) finished 9th in adjusted offensive efficiency and had the 23rd ranked sos( rpi sos which the committee uses). Again I'm with many on here and do not like the offense that is ran but i will not deny the numbers or opinion of ex coaches in the business.

Completely agree. That is what frustrates a lot of people really and some don't realize it. People continually act as if he doesn't see the same things he does and he is just dumb. Sometimes you can only lead a horse to the water. You can't make them drink it too. That's on him though as he recruited these kids.

He doesn't see things admitted by him. How many post game pressers does he say he needs to look at the tape to know or understand what just happened in the game . I always thought his incessant pacing, clapping, and other habits kept him from absorbing the game. But I'm not gonna blame it on this or say he's dumb. In games he just doesn't see or know what to do which keeps him from making the next step as a coach.

He doesn't see things admitted by him. How many post game pressers does he say he needs to look at the tape to know or understand what just happened in the game . I always thought his incessant pacing, clapping, and other habits kept him from absorbing the game. But I'm not gonna blame it on this or say he's dumb. In games he just doesn't see or know what to do which keeps him from making the next step as a coach.

Tunnel vision.   He seemingly refuses to make mid-game corrections (except for changing defenses mid-possessions) and is convinced his game plan is the perfect plan. 

Tunnel vision. He seemingly refuses to make mid-game corrections (except for changing defenses mid-possessions) and is convinced his game plan is the perfect plan.

I can agree to a degree. I think every coach is like this. I truly wonder how many times he sat back and said they did everything I wanted and it wasn't good enough.