Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

If we make a midseason move it is about more than some hope to get better this year. Remember the fans booing at s few games last year? Imagine that starts to become regular. Imagine Glass saying things publicly like he has Toms back and what that will do to a fan base that had turned.

The midseason move is not about getting more wins in the short term but it would be about decreasing the pressure on the IU ball program and players.

I see your point and don't disagree. I think this year is going to turn out being a carbon copy of last season. We will play well enough, particularly in The Assembly Hall, to hover just above the bubble. I am not happy with that, but I think it will keep the boo birds at bay enough to last the season. If things turn ugly, then like I said my time will change.

Id rather the stands be empty this year than have the fans boo. It's such an embarrassing thing to watch.

if we play in the hall the way we did in Maui there will be boos. I have a feeling it will get bad this year if improvement is not made.

What halfway decent coach do we snag in November?

Are we just giving up on having any recruits next year then?

Firing without a replacement plan is not a good move for the program. We don't need another long search committee, we need a deal brokered between the next coach and the current coach before announcements are made. This gives recruits an opportunity to see who they are going to play for. That could be the difference between a cluster bomb and a smooth transition.

I honestly think it would be a near certainty we have better options on our bench. 

This isn't going to be a smooth transition.  We are either going to have a season of booing as people feel the need to express just how unsatisfied they are with Crean, or we fire him soon.  Fire him tomorrow and tell coach Martin to start selling the recruits on the program rather than a coach.    Assure them we will be getting a name as soon as possible. 

With how few big schools have spots left I bet we would have a decent shot to keep Davis and Cujo.  He can start recruiting Goodluck also. 

We might have some transfers but it will be nowhere near as bad as Crean inherited and we just saw the classes that Howland was able to land because of the excitement a new coach brings to a program. 

We can't be stuck with a mediocre replacement, because that slows down the rebuilding process even more and just gives us another 3 years of booing.

You don't make the guy that takes over midseason the new HC.  You just leave him as an interim.  And then you find a new guy after the season which is what we should have done with Davis. 

You don't make the guy that takes over midseason the new HC. You just leave him as an interim. And then you find a new guy after the season which is what we should have done with Davis.

Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about an interim or midseason fire. If it happened at the end of the season, we can't be stuck with an average hire.

I see your point and don't disagree. I think this year is going to turn out being a carbon copy of last season. We will play well enough, particularly in The Assembly Hall, to hover just above the bubble. I am not happy with that, but I think it will keep the boo birds at bay enough to last the season. If things turn ugly, then like I said my time will change.

You must have a higher pain tolerance than me.  There are Purdue co-eds less ugly than our Maui performance.

I honestly think it would be a near certainty we have better options on our bench.

This isn't going to be a smooth transition. We are either going to have a season of booing as people feel the need to express just how unsatisfied they are with Crean, or we fire him soon. Fire him tomorrow and tell coach Martin to start selling the recruits on the program rather than a coach. Assure them we will be getting a name as soon as possible.

With how few big schools have spots left I bet we would have a decent shot to keep Davis and Cujo. He can start recruiting Goodluck also.

We might have some transfers but it will be nowhere near as bad as Crean inherited and we just saw the classes that Howland was able to land because of the excitement a new coach brings to a program.

And we will have fewer transfers if we don't create a situation where we are asked to release commits in the middle of heavy recruiting. Why would DD ever stay with a program where he has no idea who he will be playing with or for? Commits stay with us until we fire Crean. An interim coach can't finish the class.

The transition will be much smoother if we don't fire the coach midseason.

It's way too soon to predict how fans are going to treat the team and coaches. I expect some boos on Monday but after a couple wins the urge to support the team will overcome the boos. I don't think Crean can repair his future, but if Indiana fans are so classless to boo their own team over and over then we deserve all the bad things that happen to the program.

I don't think Crean can repair his future, but if Indiana fans are so classless to boo their own team over and over then we deserve all the bad things that happen to the program.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with a few well deserved boos.

Crean is FAR from an amateur.  Last season I had a difficult time thinking the players could differentiate between Crean boos and team boos; however, they don't live under a rock.

I think people are booing the 3 million dollar professional. Not the college kids. No one is going to boo the players.

People aren't exactly so good at booing to make it clear. Last time Crean was booed it certainly appeared to be booing the team too. And the team is going to think it's for them too. Just like last time. Saying afterward "oh, that was for Crean, meant to tell you" didn't really smooth it over either. I don't think any players should ever have to hear boos coming from their home fans. Boos for their coach because they lost some games. 

But I mean, if booing a team of college kids because you are trying to send a message to their coach seems like something you should do then... I guess there's that.

It's gross. Even booing your coach is gross. It's the worst way to communicate discontent ever. You may think you're booing the name on the back of his button-up, but everyone just sees you booing the name on the front.

You guys think it makes a difference to the players? You're booing the results they directly produce. Crean feels it too, but don't fool yourselves into believe the players don't think it's directed towards them as well.

8 arrests and not correcting mistakes year over year will produce results that kids (you know.....the ones who were arrested) might not like,  Especially when not one of them makes any effort to lead the team out of it.  People around here don't take too kindly to the selfish crap on and off the court we've seen for the past few years.  I'm not condoning it, however I'm not going to say it's unwarranted.  These kids are grown ups.  They can receive free school, free shoes, free board, free rooms, free tutors, and a lifestyle of the rich and famous, they can stomach a few boos from the people who are paying for it.