Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Yeah if this year's roster doesn't get us past the sweet 16, I don't know what kind of roster will

If this roster had a coach that demanded that they play defense. If they would take pride in getting a stop, if they demanded of themselves to put in a defensive effort.

Far less talented rosters have made it past the sweet 16 with far better coaches.

more talented rosters with far better coaches have lost in the 1st round as well. That's what makes the NCAA tournament special. You never know until you play

more talented rosters with far better coaches have lost in the 1st round as well. That's what makes the NCAA tournament special. You never know until you play

Understood, but that's not the point in this case.  Crean has made it past the sweet 16 exactly once in his career.   That's simply not good enough at Indiana, and the sweet 16 cannot be the standard.   His winning percentage at Indiana is .528.  That's not good enough, either.  I realize the first 2 years are a pass for him, so even taking those out, his winning percentage at Indiana is just .624.  Again, you can excuse it, you can talk about other programs....but this is Indiana.  And if we're seriously talking about ANYTHING but championships (Big Ten first and foremost), we're simply lowering the bar.  

I've made this post at least 4 times in the past 4 years...

Crean is a great guy. Great person for the beautiful community of Bloomington. Great family great everything..

However.... as a coach at a top 5 program. He's in over his head. He's a mid-major coach.. not an Indiana University basketball coach. I think he would thrive when expectations are low, however we will never have low expectations here at IU.

Its time to go Tommy.  

Understood, but that's not the point in this case. Crean has made it past the sweet 16 exactly once in his career. That's simply not good enough at Indiana, and the sweet 16 cannot be the standard. His winning percentage at Indiana is .528. That's not good enough, either. I realize the first 2 years are a pass for him, so even taking those out, his winning percentage at Indiana is just .624. Again, you can excuse it, you can talk about other programs....but this is Indiana. And if we're seriously talking about ANYTHING but championships (Big Ten first and foremost), we're simply lowering the bar.

understood I was just pointing out another side of it you didn't have express again why you feel he isn't good enough for iu I know where you stand on the subject. You don't have to waste writing a long paragraph on why he isn't good enough when debating with me (just cut and paste from one of your previous points on the subject). not sure I have excused anything when it relates to the current coach being good enough for iu. My view on the subject is irrelevant because until the administration feel he isn't good enough he will be here. I personally will continue to watch the product on the floor because for me watching a poorly coached iu team is better then not watching iu at all. I've watched them as long as a can remember in my 37 years and I look forward to watching them for another 37 years. A bad Star Wars movie is still a Star Wars movie and I will watch, that's how I feel about watching iu currently

I like Crean as a person and he has done a lot of great things for the program---but even I have lost patience. The rebuild has taken too long. He'd better right the ship immediately. We had better be top 3 in the Big Ten this year and sweet 16 at a minimum in the tourney or it's time to part ways. I just cannot believe how we have started the year with all the talent we have--we have 3 McDonald All-Americans.....Crean's a good (not great) coach but it sure doesn't look like he's the right fit to get the program to the next level. His buyout goes way down in June----perfect time to make a switch if he can't get it done this year.

You know I am an IU loyalist---but it is "put up or shut up" time for Crean. I still hope he gets it done--but my confidence level is falling fast!

I think you're giving him a little too much credit as a coach. I'd say he's wildly mediocre since mediocre is the only thing he's been with any sort of consistency.

I think you're giving him a little too much credit as a coach. I'd say he's wildly mediocre since mediocre is the only thing he's been with any sort of consistency.

mediocre for a coach at a program with indiana's pedigree but if he coached at Indiana state it wouldn't be viewed as mediocre. Although I don't think he is the right coach for iu, he was a division 1 coach before he came here and if he wants to be he will be a division 1 coach after he leaves here just not at a high level program

mediocre for a coach at a program with indiana's pedigree but if he coached at Indiana state it wouldn't be viewed as mediocre. Although I don't think he is the right coach for iu, he was a division 1 coach before he came here and if he wants to be he will be a division 1 coach after he leaves here just not at a high level program

He wasn't even that good at Marquette really. A so-so winning % and missed the tournament almost half the time; and outside of one fluke run didn't make it past the 2nd round if he did make it.

I was on the Scout board at the time and Marquette fans weren't too upset. They actually had the same complaints we have now.