Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Is Coach Crean Indiana's Best Option?

On 3/8/2017 at 10:26 PM, IU Hoosier41 said:

It says nothing about Tom Crean’s coaching ability.

I stopped reading here. It said EVERYTHING about Crean's coaching ability. That game wasn't some flukey, last-second answered prayer, we got our ***es kicked up and down the court and there was nothing he could do about it. 

On 3/9/2017 at 0:16 AM, Old Friend said:

The problem with this is the eyeball test.  What do we see?

1)  Turnovers are not okay.  Bad shots are not okay.  Poor defense is not okay.  Lack of movement is not okay.   Kids not paying attention is not okay.  Complete lack of discipline is not okay. Everything off the dribble doesn't win consistently without superior talent.  I don't care what Dan Dakich says, much of this is on the coach.

2)  The Syracuse game is mentioned above.  Butler had beaten that zone the year before with Shelvin Mack stationed at the FT line.  A kid who can make a 15 foot jump shot.  And DID.  Couple of reversals, maybe a baseline dump, back to the high post....shot or dump back to baseline.  Butler wins.  We put Zeller there.  First move of that game, he drives from that spot into the zone, gets his shot blocked, and we struggle the whole game.  Zeller hadn't taken 8 jump shots from there in his 2 seasons.  Why was he in that spot?  That's what happened.  Eyes see what happens.

Crean's been at Indiana 9 seasons.  In season 6-9, his Big Ten finishes have been 8th, 7th, 1st, 10th.  Which is the fluke?  Bob Knight set the standard at Indiana.  Like it or not; he did.  In years 6-9 with him?  5th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st.  Which is the fluke?

I am really tired of any argument that says we need a big name coach or one of a very small list.  We do not need Donovan or Archie.  I'd love Stevens.  We'd ALL love Stevens.  But he's not coming.  Ship's sailed.  We need a great basketball coach.  He can be from DII for all I care.  There are a TON of great basketball minds out there.  Crean simply isn't one of them.  Crean has been past the sweet 16 once in 18 seasons.  That's not good enough at Indiana.  Sorry.  It's not.

Edit :  If any IU fan will accept that there will be "a few down years," they should go root for Illinois.  If Indiana is indeed a traditional blue blood and an elite program a la Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky..."a few down years" will and should NOT be accepted.   I completely reject that.  Duke hasn't had a "down year" since 1983.  North Carolina hasn't had one since 2003, and when they had a couple by their standards within 3 seasons (and STILL didn't miss the tournament), they fired their coach.   Kansas' last "down season" was 1989.  Why do we accept 3 down seasons in 4 and give our coach a pass?    I simply don't get it.

Thank you for this!  I completely agree!