Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie vs Gregg

I see near universal agreement that the fanbase would be thrilled with Donovan, but given that in the past 24 hours there have been flights into Bloomington from both Dayton and Wichita, I pose this question:

If not Donovan and given a choice between Archie Miller and Gregg Marshall, who do you prefer, and why?

Discuss:

Archie for me.

Pros-age, my belief he would recruit high major players like his brother.

Gregg- he's a winner no doubt, and a great coach. His age and my concern about him recruiting the best players are the reason I'd tilt to Archie. Also Gregg has an attitude I'm not sure I like. That last part is TBD though. I'm judging him on limited knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Archie. 

Young guy that has promise and could be here for a quarter century+. I've enjoyed watching the teams he's built (and been forced to tear down, while still having success) at Dayton. He's created a family in his program that is tight knit. (See: The unfortunate passing of Steve McElvene) Dayton fans are terrified of losing him. Already has ties to midwest recruiting being based in Dayton. I've been conducting this train for 3 years and won't stop now.

Marshall is a great coach. I will never argue that. His personality worries me, though. He has Tom Crean tendencies, which don't play well with this fanbase anymore. It's been said that he doesn't like his system being messed with (by boosters, trustees, the athletic department) which is a serious problem when it comes to coaching at Indiana. If you push away the deep pockets here? Bye bye. That's a community, unlike at Wichita where one guy (Koch) feeds the beast. Also, he wouldn't be here nearly as long as Archie. Respectfully, pass.

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Archie for me.

Gregg- he's a winner no doubt, and a great coach. His age and my concern about him recruiting the best players are the reason I'd tilt to Archie. Also Gregg has an attitude I'm not sure I like. That last part is TBD though. I'm judging him on limited knowledge.

No further need for me to weigh in here. Will just say...^^THIS^^

Archie and it isnt even close.

Archie - see what Hova said above.

Marshall - Id rather have a younger guy with potential than an older guy that has only done something at a mid major. Yes Archie is also at a mid major but this is just the begining of his career while it seems like Marshall has been scared to jump to a big boy conference. Marshall somewhat reminds me of Crean at Marquette. Better X's and O's guy, but seems like a giant crybaby. Hard pass.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Archie. 

I know this is dumb, but bringing in Donovan feels like cheating on our way to a title. I want a winning coach that is going to grow with our program and stick around for a long time. 

How? He wouldn't be coming into a school with an elite roster. He would have to build a roster through recruiting and repair the damage that has been accumulating over the past ~30 years. He's not young but he could easily be here for the next 15-20 years. 

Between Archie and Marshall I would go with Archie 100%. Marshall has too many Crean tendencies for me. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

How? He wouldn't be coming into a school with an elite roster. He would have to build it up and repair the damage that has been accumulating over the past ~30 years. He's not your but he could easily be here for the next 15-20 years. 

Between Archie and Marshall I would go with Archie 100%. Marshall has too many Crean tendencies for me. 

Just the fact that he's won 2 national championships already. If we did win, I would feel like we took the easier route. Like I said, I know it's dumb. It's seriously my only hang up with him. 

But this thread was Archie vs. Gregg. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Just the fact that he's won 2 national championships already. If we did win, I would feel like we took the easier route. Like I said, I know it's dumb. It's seriously my only hang up with him. 

But this thread was Archie vs. Gregg. 

You'd get over it pretty quickly if we did in fact win though, probably lol. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Archie for me.

IF I have to choose between the 2 then I gotta go with Archie for the reason Fleek has mentioned.