Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

AKHoosier

The 5 Biggest Recruiting Misses of the Tom Crean Era

I don't post much, but this thread is awesome. And it got me to thinking about the players we missed on who ended up being happy to miss. Two guys popped into my head - Jelan Kendrick and Josh Selby. I'm sure there a lot more I'm just not thinking about.

Exum as quoted saying he'd have gone to IU if he went to college. I saw the clip.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I know he said that, but Lebron said he would go to OSU as well. There was a lot of stock in UNC at the time. I have a hard time seeing Crean closing that one over Roy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't post much, but this thread is awesome. And it got me to thinking about the players we missed on who ended up being happy to miss. Two guys popped into my head - Jelan Kendrick and Josh Selby. I'm sure there a lot more I'm just not thinking about.

Leron black, goodluck, bj Anya are a couple of more off the top of head

4 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Old Friend. What does recruiting budget have to do with getting the right kids? Wisconsins 2015 class just hasn't been good, so I am unsure of the relevance of them spending $60k versus our $600k. I personally feel the situations are so different they aren't close to being relevant. I actually like our 2015 class. The rest of your statement I absolutely agree with. His inability to build a team is what has cost him his job.

Tom Crean has access to 20+ very capable D1 players every year within a 3 hour drive from Bloomington.  He has no reason to spend $600,000 flying all over the place recruiting kids who have no clue how or when to cut (his words) because they all need the ball and all have the same skill set.   The situations don't have to be different.  He's made them that way.  Look at Wisconsin's roster.  Now, and year in, year out.  They haven't finished below 4th in the Big Ten in at least 16 years; and they are pretty much the bar in the Big Ten along with Michigan State.  You recruit your area.  Kids who know your school.   Look at IU's rosters when they've been really good.  1993 for example, not one kid Knight had to fly to.  Wisconsin now has just 2 kids on THEIR roster (except the kid from Belgium) anyone would have to fly to.  They recruit with a laser.  Crean recruits with a shotgun.  That's the relevance.

You recruit the kind of kids who can excel in your system.  It's not that difficult.  I see all the time how we're NOT Duke, We're NOT Kentucky.  And, we're not.  So why do we recruit with a national shotgun to get kids who have no idea how to play without the ball; who have no idea what it means to play at Indiana, and who clearly don't care about playing defense or making anyone else better?   We're not getting talent the way Kentucky does, but we're recruiting the same way they do.  We're getting 3* kids.  They get 5* kids.  We need a change in philosophy, and Crean has fractured lots of local relationships.  Why does Crean feel the need to go to New Jersey or Maryland to get kids?  To Colorado?  When he misses on the Bluiett's, Wilkes's, and McIntosh's, etc of the world.   

30 minutes ago, RobPoff said:

Bulleit, Kyrie, Gary Harris, Theo Pinson, and I can't believe no one has mentioned that BIG beast of a player up in West Lafayette.

Could you imagine a TB and Swanigan combination? A true big man and one that can (but shouldn't) step out and hit from deep?

Swanigan never had any interest though, that had zero chance of ever happening

Garry Harris really hurt, he's really starting to find his footing in the NBA. He's a nice talent.

Dante Exum would've been interesting. He said he would come here if he had to come to college. Based off his seasons in the NBA so far, he really should've gone to college.

Hanner and Jeremy were disappointing to say the least. But as the years have gone by, I'm starting to question if a better coach than Crean could've gotten something more from those two. Hanner more than Jeremy if anything.

Swanigan never had any interest though, that had zero chance of ever happening

Understandable, but being Indiana, you should always have the attention of Mr. Basketball in state. Wether you land him or not at least be a program that makes your ears perk up when they call you. That is a failure on Crean's part.

Understandable, but being Indiana, you should always have the attention of Mr. Basketball in state. Wether you land him or not at least be a program that makes your ears perk up when they call you. That is a failure on Crean's part.

He isn't from Indiana and his handler is a Purdue guy. We never had a shot.

They aren't the best players we have recruited, but considering the insane amount of time that we spent recruiting them,and the thought that we were at one point the favorite to get their commitment, I've thought the biggest misses were

Gary Harris
Devin Robinson
Theo Pinson
Goodluck Okonoboh
Ray Spalding
Shake Milton
Bruce Brown
Kris Wilkes

1. Gary Harrison
2. Trevon Blueitt - I saw him play with the Indiana AllStars with Blackmon the summer before their freshman year in college and Blueitt was by far the best player on the court.
3. Trey Lyles - After he de-comited it seemed like recruiting started to take a significant turn.
4. Shake Milton - He has flourished into a great scorer at SMU
5. Swanigan - I know people will say he was never interested, but Crean and staff offered him late in the game. There were some health and weight issues for him but Purdue seemed to be on him from the start.

There were a lot of Indiana kids that didn't seem like superstars but would've been solid rotation players here. Kyle Guy, Joey Brunk, Kellen Dunham, and Bryant McIntosh are a few that come to mind.

1 hour ago, RobPoff said:

Bulleit, Kyrie, Gary Harris, Theo Pinson, and I can't believe no one has mentioned that BIG beast of a player up in West Lafayette.

Could you imagine a TB and Swanigan combination? A true big man and one that can (but shouldn't) step out and hit from deep?

Swanigan would be at California if Barnes hadn't forced him into Purdue. 

Pretty glad we missed out on Jaquan Lyle as well.  Crean seemed to put in quite a bit of time with him too.  Talented player, but I'm glad we missed.

Why? Kid has had no issues at OSU. We have had a few players who were a lot worse than him. I would have gladly taken him. In HS it was iffy but seeing how he turned out I would take him no question.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Why? Kid has had no issues at OSU. We have had a few players who were a lot worse than him. I would have gladly taken him. In HS it was iffy but seeing how he turned out I would take him no question.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

He's a head case; I looked at the last OSU box score and I don't even think he's in the starting lineup anymore.