Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Feathery

IU Candidate: Billy Donovan (OKC Thunder)

Okay, anyone that is reading Mile's and 0708's posts can chime in here. I do not understand using a search firm for coaches. Mile alluded to us using a "coaching search firm" to hire Crean previously and it comes down to connections. He mentioned we are using it again this time. Fogler or something like that. Can our administration not do their own due diligence for the good of our university? Can they not understand what a good coach looks like and do that research themselves? I guess it baffles me when Mile says we are using a search firm that panders to their own connections and isn't affiliated with the university. How could they possibly know who would be the best fit here? It blows my mind if that is true, or maybe I'm not understanding something. 

Okay, anyone that is reading Mile's and 0708's posts can chime in here. I do not understand using a search firm for coaches. Mile alluded to us using a "coaching search firm" to hire Crean previously and it comes down to connections. He mentioned we are using it again this time. Fogler or something like that. Can our administration not do their own due diligence for the good of our university? Can they not understand what a good coach looks like and do that research themselves? I guess it baffles me when Mile says we are using a search firm that panders to their own connections and isn't affiliated with the university. How could they possibly know who would be the best fit here? It blows my mind if that is true, or maybe I'm not understanding something. 

That would be a common practice if you are trying to find out who is all interested in you.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That would be a common practice if you are trying to find out who is all interested in you.

I get that, but he said they use their own connections and that makes me think they do It for the good of their own company, not IU

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Maybe because a deal has been struck he typed hopefully.

I am trying to keep my hopes in check..............I am failing. I am getting too excited. I haven't been this excited about IU basketball since the morning of the day we won conference out right for the first time in 20 years. 

12 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Someone chime in if I'm off base here, but seems like the preferred way to begin talks prior to position actually opening up. Creates distance between the AD and the actual search, and allows them to truthfully say they are not looking for a replacement.

I mean, couldn't Fred just lie? What does it matter if he's telling the truth. I would think doing what's best for our basketball program would trump that. Seems like ADs give a vote of confidence and go back on their word quite a bit. It's probably what you said, but I guess I just don't see the need for it, especially when it's someone that isn't invested in IU one bit

Just a couple of random thoughts...

First of all, "separations" are typically preceded by a universal "vote of confidence". Not sure if "couldn't Fred just lie?" is the best move. Once he's known to be deceptive, no one will ever believe anything he says regarding coaches standing within the university. It would be a bad move, IMO. Plausible deniability is most certainly the way to go in this regard... and as much as I don't like/trust the "search firm" approach, it does offer the AD and administration wiggle room and plausible deniability.

Secondly, the whole roller-coaster ride will most certainly will result in disappointment to some extent. It's human nature... NOTHING in life ever lives up the the hype... and it becomes more true the longer he hype machine is in operation. The "Fire Tom Crean Express" has been going, off and on, for what, 5-6 years now? Lots of false starts, lots of puzzling contract extensions, etc... so, as excited as I am for this change to come, and come quickly, I expect to be somewhat underwhelmed if not out rightly disappointed before it all ends.

Don't mean to rain on the parade... I would be ecstatic to see Billy Donovan working the sideline in candy stripes... just hope we haven't jinxed the deal.

4 minutes ago, Tom White said:

It also allows coaching prospects to say "I have not spoken with IU about the job."

This. We would need official approval to go into discussions without the "Fogler" buffer with any coach under current contract. 

31 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Crean is down here at NA, recruiting Langford and Jallow. If he's leaving, it's not on his accord.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

1. No one has ever thought it was on his accord. 

2. If he's not the coach at IU next year there's a good chance he'll be a coach elsewhere, therefore he'll keep recruiting. 

What if the university is trying to discreetly reach out to a handful of candidates? There are uses for these types of avenues.

3 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

It seems like, per the other site, there continue to be positive talks between IU and Donovan, but things have been quiet lately.

This type of thing will take time, but it's awfully hard to be patient when I think of what IU would be capable of under Donovan.

Not sure what you saw, but one thing I read made it sound like that IU and Donovan's people have talked, but things aren't really moving forward right now, and almost seemed to hint at a breakdown or something.

Not sure what you saw, but one thing I read made it sound like that IU and Donovan's people have talked, but things aren't really moving forward right now, and almost seemed to hint at a breakdown or something.

If you are talking about Mile has later clarified in a positive way.