Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Retain Tom Crean Thread

17 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

His checked shirt rocks!

You must be referencing the Blue ones…. I know it is stupid but it really gets to me that he is constantly wearing blue…. I know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and most may trash me for this but it absolutely drives me crazy game in and game out.

On 2/22/2017 at 9:59 PM, theriverpilot said:

Agreed! I'd be willing to say the Mike Davis years were much harder than the Crean tenure

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

All but a handful since the General have been bad. Davis ending, Sampson getting fired before the end of year, and Creans decade have been a wasteland for Indiana basketball. The lows >highs.

1 hour ago, Double Down said:

surfcrop_t650.jpg?eec9ecda5f66de59a37bbdc620c061ef6c0092c2f0fe28c9673c69-origina

We'd lose the most gangster of all coaches on the sidelines.  You can't even debate that one of these things is not like the other. 

Why does Crean look like the nerd in gym class?  Shirt tucked in, shorts look like they're pulled up to his belly button.

I have to say, more than anything, every time I hear the word "deflections," I laugh.  I remember hearing it the first time, and my eyes crossed.  Now, I admit, I'm a simple guy.  So my simple brain needs simple things to understand.  So, it could be that this is some advanced way of thinking beyond my comprehension.  

Here are some of "my simple brain" stats that I'd like to measure and discuss with my team and the press after the game:

1) Number of times defender keeps ball carrier in front of him

2) Number of times defender closes out a shooter with hands up/Number of times defender closes out a shooter (This number should always equal 1 unless you have a defender with no arms)

3) Number of inbounds plays that go to your team/Number of times you inbound the ball (This number should always equal 1, especially after a time out...see #4)

4) Number of times someone jacks up an off balance 3 with 1 sec left on the shot-clock after a time out/Number of plays run after a time out (this number should always equal 0)

I'm sure you folks can come up with a bunch more.  But I'm a simple guy.  I keep it simple. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Deflections are an interesting stat but they are over simplified like many basketball stats. And the core problem with them is I have seen us have 3 on one possession the give up a wide open 3. What's the point?  

Exactly.  Perfect example of losing the forest for the trees.  

5 hours ago, Double Down said:

surfcrop_t650.jpg?eec9ecda5f66de59a37bbdc620c061ef6c0092c2f0fe28c9673c69-origina

We'd lose the most gangster of all coaches on the sidelines.  You can't even debate that one of these things is not like the other. 

Being a guy who considers himself stylish, how would any legitimate player agree to come play for a guy who would show up to practice or go in public like this. I'm totally not trying to be shallow, but if you look at modern society (especially sports) all the best dress a certain way-- he doesn't fit the mold. 

If ANY coach came to me looking like this I would automatically disqualify him. Nasty

5 minutes ago, Yogi'sBicep said:

Being a guy who considers himself stylish, how would any legitimate player agree to come play for a guy who would show up to practice or go in public like this. I'm totally not trying to be shallow, but if you look at modern society (especially sports) all the best dress a certain way-- he doesn't fit the mold. 

If ANY coach came to me looking like this I would automatically disqualify him. Nasty

If the fella was hanging banners, he could wear his pants on his head, with toy poodles dancing around him counter-clockwise on their hind legs.  But since that isn't the case.....well..... 

Cthomas said:Lower expectations leads to lower stress which increases life expectancy.

Gotta say,that is pretty much how I have felt the past four years. I can watch stress free now.   I always expect to lose in crunch time by turning the ball over, no matter how big our lead is.  When we win it's like getting a bonus at work that I wasn't expecting.