Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Zachary Farmer

Fire Fred Glass

I really didn't think Fred was this bad. I knew he had faults but this is unforgivable. This is an absolute coward move and I can't believe they used the renovations and students on Spring Break excuse. This also makes me have this interesting question. Is it truly Crean with all the excuses or is it Glass that comes up with all the excuses? I'm starting to not put this entirely on Tom Crean

I really didn't think Fred was this bad. I knew he had faults but this is unforgivable. This is an absolute coward move and I can't believe they used the renovations and students on Spring Break excuse. This also makes me have this interesting question. Is it truly Crean with all the excuses or is it Glass that comes up with all the excuses? I'm starting to not put this entirely on Tom Crean

Gotta agree, and this is from someone who defended Glass for the things he did for the University when it came to building upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

38 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I dislike Fred more and more all the time. He hasn't really done much for IU. I know about the building projects, but that was all due to the Board of Trustees. 

The only way this was all Glass is if Crean is gone and neither wants to be subjected to the chorus of booing that would rain down from what little fan base would attend. No AD rejects a home game of any kind without consulting his coach, unless there is no civil discourse. I read this in a good way and I am not defending Glass at all. Be it now or next week or next season the feeling of the fan base will only grow ever more hostile and they both know they can not plug a hole in the dam with a band aid, water always finds its level. 

I'm certainly disappointed, but overall I still feel FG has done an acceptable job as AD and I'm not on the fire him bandwagon yet.  In this instance, if he's handling this situation out of some personal loyalty, friendship, etc., I hope he realizes that it's blowing up in his face and it's not creating a positive image at all for IU or for FG personally.  As it continues to play out, I can't figure out what FG's end game truly is to end this mess.  

I'm certainly disappointed, but overall I still feel FG has done an acceptable job as AD and I'm not on the fire him bandwagon yet.  In this instance, if he's handling this situation out of some personal loyalty, friendship, etc., I hope he realizes that it's blowing up in his face and it's not creating a positive image at all for IU or for FG personally.  As it continues to play out, I can't figure out what FG's end game truly is to end this mess.  

Agreed on him doing a good job otherwise. Our athletic department is about as healthy as can be financially and he's done a great job in that regard. Hope he can turn this around but I'm not on the fire him bandwagon.

Really hoping this is just a move to keep Crean from being booed since we are about to send him off. If that's the case, totally fine with this move.

OR, tell us now he will move on after this season, play this home game and I'm willing to bet many of us would come and cheer our butt off and give Crean a great applause for rebuilding our program as clean as possible and also making this a "turn-key" program for the next hire. I'd like nothing more honestly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm gonna wait till we hear from FG whether Crean is staying or leaving to take a stance on how he's handled this situation.

If we are parting ways, I don't find this move to be a big deal. I promise not a single person outside this board will even remember nor care that Indiana passed up an opening round home NIT game, because no one cares about the NIT. Especially if we move on from Crean and hire a new coach.

If we're sticking with Crean, I really don't get the decision. If we're sticking with Crean, you would act as though everything were business as usual, and not call undue attention to the situation nor give the fans reason to be upset.

The fact that we've both pulled out of the 2K Classic and passed on an NIT home game tells me things aren't business as usual with the basketball program. Change is on the way.

I'm gonna wait till we hear from FG whether Crean is staying or leaving to take a stance on how he's handled this situation.

If we are parting ways, I don't find this move to be a big deal. I promise not a single person outside this board will even remember nor care that Indiana passed up an opening round home NIT game, because no one cares about the NIT. Especially if we move on from Crean and hire a new coach.

If we're sticking with Crean, I really don't get the decision. If we're sticking with Crean, you would act as though everything were business as usual, and not call undue attention to the situation nor give the fans reason to be upset.

The fact that we've both pulled out of the 2K Classic and passed on an NIT home game tells me things aren't business as usual with the basketball program. Change is on the way.

I agree. There are way too many strange changes happening for Crean to be back.

However, if he is brought back, this has been a total **** show and they both need to be sent packing.

I agree. There are way too many strange changes happening for Crean to be back.

However, if he is brought back, this has been a total **** show and they both need to be sent packing.

If he's brought back, this will be a big poopy smear on the clean sheet of Cottonell double ply representing Fred's career at Indiana.

If he brings Crean back, to me, that means FG either isn't ready to get rid of him and may not be as in tune with the fanbase's frustrations with the basketball program, or the right candidates were not available. The latter would make me hesitant to say Glass should be let go.

I've seen posters state that the inability to land the top candidates is an indictment on Glass, but I really question the impact an AD has on a potential coaches decision. He's given Crean all the support and freedom to operate independently a coach would want. It comes down to money, timing, and the desirability of the program. If the boosters like the candidate, the money will be there, but timing and fit are things *mostly* out of the AD's control.

If Crean is brought back it gives me fear that we couldn't attract a clear (public) upgrade to come to Indiana.

That is worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah, if the boosters are as willing to move with their checkbooks as many have said they are, then it should be no issue. But don't rule out the possibility that we attracted plenty of talent, but none that fit FG's standards. If his standards are aligned with those on this board and his 2015 statement, there isn't a large pool of individuals that are qualified.

If Crean is brought back it gives me fear that we couldn't attract a clear (public) upgrade to come to Indiana.

That is worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

EXACTLY!! A turn key program.. one basically cocked and loaded for deep runs.. couldn't snag one good coach... which means, no other coach wants to take us on as a rabid fanbase.. the whole thing is concerning and makes me think Hoosier Nation might be turning off potential hires. Maybe we should operate like the has-been program we are and quit acting like we are an elite blue blood with expectations of "hang a banner or get out"... ugh, this whole thing has me in knots and confused on what I would want, going forward..

Or, the thing is already taken care of and we all don't have anything to worry about. We just need to let it play out and wait on the announcement of something that was already negotiated and complete, weeks ago, haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Agreed on him doing a good job otherwise. Our athletic department is about as healthy as can be financially and he's done a great job in that regard. Hope he can turn this around but I'm not on the fire him bandwagon.

Which is amazing since 2 sports generate 90% of the athletic revenue, and both of them have been mediocre.

I think this is hard for Glass personally. I think his personal relationship with Crean has/is getting in the way vs the Wilson situation where the two didnt get along all that well. Still think Crean is gone but I think Glass is trying to give him every opportunity to go on his own terms.

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I think this is hard for Glass personally. I think his personal relationship with Crean has/is getting in the way vs the Wilson situation where the two didnt get along all that well. Still think Crean is gone but I think Glass is trying to give him every opportunity to go on his own terms.

I understand having a personal relationship but you can't bring that into the equation when you're at a job. Glass has to do what is best for IU. What is best for IU is having a different coach

It would've been so much easier had Fred said that Crean would be relieved of his duties before the NIT pairings. I'm sure fans would have shown up to Assembly Hall to show appreciation had that been the case. Hell, he should've done that before the Northwestern game. I just can't stand how Glass has handled all of this crap. It would've been so much easier on him and the fans as well

I dislike Fred more and more all the time. He hasn't really done much for IU. I know about the building projects, but that was all due to the Board of Trustees. 

Ive been mocked for calling glass incompetent in the past.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk