Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Zachary Farmer

Fire Fred Glass

Fred Glass’s. “I’ve seen the guy up close,” says Glass. “Seen the way he breaks down film and coaches these guys, both on individual skills and strategy. I’ve believed since the beginning that he’s not only a great recruiter, which people seem to acknowledge. He’s not only a great motivator, which people generally acknowledge. He’s not only a great developer of talent, which I think his naysayers grudgingly acknowledge. He’s a great X’s-and-O’s coach. I didn’t need this year to have that confirmed for me.”

Above are exact quotes from Glass a couple of years ago when Crean was again on the proverbial hot seat. Tell me this guy gets it or if we should have faith he will do the right thing for this university. He is stuck in his fandom of Crean and should be canned along with him. Even if he let Crean go, I have serious reservations he would make a great hire. Glass needs to go!

7 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Nope. Not on this bandwagon. He has done an overall great job at what he is paid to do. Structures have improved. Men's basketball situation has improved under his watch. Football has improved immensely and brought in more money. Doing a fantastic job honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Fully agree.  IUBB is only 1 facet of his job and while many aren't happy with allowing CTC to stick around, I think Glass has done a commendable job with the other IU sports and sports facilities.  

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If he extends Crean I'm fully on board with operation #FireFredGlass. Until then I'll hold off. He's done well with the other sports, but basketball is what matters here so he can't screw that up. 

I don't think he will extend him but my gut tells me on selection sunday he will release a statement talking about injures and how we lost seniors from the previous team. 2017-18 will determine his fate and with the projected roster I don't see him surviving. To make things worse for Crean by 2018 his buyout drops from 4 million to 1 million which makes him in my opinion a "lame duck" coach.

He signed off on Creans ridiculous contract, and he gave Wilson and extension knowing there were behind the scenes issues later leading to his resignation. Personally, I think a better vision should have lead to a new Assembly Hall that seats more with better viewing for all in attendance. I posted his quote only to prove his fandom of Crean which blinds him to the bigger picture. If Crean is let go or moves on, I have zero confidence he will get the next hire right.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If he extends Crean I'm fully on board with operation #FireFredGlass. Until then I'll hold off. He's done well with the other sports, but basketball is what matters here so he can't screw that up. 

I think (hope) Glass is smart enough to understand how important BB is at IU.

12 minutes ago, schoosier said:

He signed off on Creans ridiculous contract, and he gave Wilson and extension knowing there were behind the scenes issues later leading to his resignation. Personally, I think a better vision should have lead to a new Assembly Hall that seats more with better viewing for all in attendance. I posted his quote only to prove his fandom of Crean which blinds him to the bigger picture. If Crean is let go or moves on, I have zero confidence he will get the next hire right.

Are you talking an arena like Bankers Life? I love the history that Assembly has, but there are some terrible seats in it. There's not a bad seat inside Bankers Life. 

He has to. During their sales pitch to prospective students they have a video package discussing the tradition of basketball as well as stories such as the fish coming up missing in 87 after the title. They are very aware of what their athletic department means to the university.

Edit: athletic involvement for students is probably 25% of their pitch. For all sports. Going to other sports events potentially gets them better seats the further a student advances throughout their tenure. Intramurals, etc. They want involvement from the students.

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I hope so. If things get much worse with the program and he keeps Crean I think the boosters will turn on him. They won't care about what he's done for the other sports. Glass always talks about how important basketball is, so surely he knows the past 9 years aren't cutting it. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

But what if he goes through back channels to gauge interest in the IU job with guys like Stevens, Self, etc., finds out there isn't a home-run hire available this year, extends Crean another year for recruiting purposes without adding to the buyout, and then re-assesses at the end of next year?

Sometimes the right decision isn't the most popular one.  

Look, Fred Glass isn't dumb.  He likes Tom Crean and wants him to succeed, but he isn't hitching his wagon to Tom Crean's star.  And reading through the tea leaves on various boards, he has already started reaching to find out who would be interested if there was a vacancy at IU.

I hope so. If things get much worse with the program and he keeps Crean I think the boosters will turn on him. They won't care about what he's done for the other sports. Glass always talks about how important basketball is, so surely he knows the past 9 years aren't cutting it. 

Well the average student there seems content honestly. I was there yesterday for my daughter to go there and any discussion I had (had a few) they constantly talked about how exciting and fun the atmosphere was. Not how they hope change is made or wished things were different. I told a few kids to get off their ass and do something different for us older people. This wasn't just kids trying to sell us anything on the university. I was actually disappointed in that.

32 minutes ago, Zachary Farmer said:

I don't think he will extend him but my gut tells me on selection sunday he will release a statement talking about injures and how we lost seniors from the previous team. 2017-18 will determine his fate and with the projected roster I don't see him surviving. To make things worse for Crean by 2018 his buyout drops from 4 million to 1 million which makes him in my opinion a "lame duck" coach.

I think technically the buyout dips to $1 mil on July 1st of this year.  And if he doesn't give CTC an extension then it will be painfully obvious to the entire world that CTC is a 'lame duck'.

Our women's team, baseball team, football team and swimming teams have took off since he has been here. He has made the right moves to make mens basketball a place to wanna come. The renovations to AH and Cook Hall as well marketing the program to fix any thing that needs it. We can't judge him just for basketball. Like or not he has 2 B1G titles and 3 Sweet Sixteens in his worst aspect of his job. I'd say he is safe.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Well the average student there seems content honestly. I was there yesterday for my daughter to go there and any discussion I had (had a few) they constantly talked about how exciting and fun the atmosphere was. Not how they hope change is made or wished things were different. I told a few kids to get off their ass and do something different for us older people. This wasn't just kids trying to sell us anything on the university. I was actually disappointed in that.

Ugh, that's disappointing. It goes along with my theory about a lot of students nowadays though. IU hasn't been elite for a while, so if you didn't grow up a fan or around people who are fans you don't know that things are supposed to be better than this. I can see why they would be happy with the past few years. Have your daughter get all her friends on the fire Tom Crean bandwagon haha. 

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

But what if he goes through back channels to gauge interest in the IU job with guys like Stevens, Self, etc., finds out there isn't a home-run hire available this year, extends Crean another year for recruiting purposes without adding to the buyout, and then re-assesses at the end of next year?

Sometimes the right decision isn't the most popular one.  

Look, Fred Glass isn't dumb.  He likes Tom Crean and wants him to succeed, but he isn't hitching his wagon to Tom Crean's star.  And reading through the tea leaves on various boards, he has already started reaching to find out who would be interested if there was a vacancy at IU.

I guess I just see waiting another year as pointless based on what our team will likely look like next year. It will probably be even uglier than this year, and IU wouldn't be a more appealing job next year than it would be after this year. Crean's recruiting is bottoming out and I don't have any faith that he can turn it around. I feel like if next year is going to be a wasted year no matter what, we might as well do it under a new coach. The exception would be if a Stevens or Self type told us he doesn't want the job after this year, but he'll take it after next year.