Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

(2018) SF Jericole Hellems to NC State

Saw Chaminade several times last year and the kid didn't stand out in any way, though with Tatum and Cook on the floor no one else did. He looked like the kind of dime a dozen 6'5" kid that there are literally dozens of at every AAU tournament. Haven't seen them this year, but if he's improved enough to put 47 on a pretty good team, then I have to get a look.

He played 'up' on his AAU team and teammates included IU target Darius Garland and one time target Jordan Goodwin.  He didn't play a lot of minutes but certainly nothing in his AAU stats that jump out at you as a high level D-1 prospect.

Jericole Hellems '18 (SF) - St. Louis Eagles 17U                  
  Date Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks. Min.
  4/16 7 0 2 0 0 7 8 2 0 4 0 0 16
  4/16 2 1 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 8
  4/17 7 3 9 1 3 0 2 5 1 2 0 0 16
  4/22 5 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 n.a.
  4/23 5 1 7 0- 1 3 4 8 0 0 2 1 20
  4/23 2 0 2 0 0 2 5 4 1 0 0 0 8
  4/24 2 1 3 0 2 0 1 2 0 2 0 1 17
  5/13 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 7
  5/14 8 3 3 0 0 2 2 0 1 3 0 0 10
  5/14 8 3 7 0 2 2 2 2 0 1 1 0 11
  5/15 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 3
  5/28 3 1 3 0 1 1 2 0 0 2 0 0 7
  5/28 0 0 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 6
  5/29 3 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5
  5/29 7 1 3 0 0 5 6 5 1 1 0 0 21
  5/30 4 2 5 0 0 0 0 3 1 1 0 0 7
  7/6 1 0 5 0 0 1 2 4 0 0 0 0 n.a.
  7/7 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 1 1 0 0 9

Avg 3.7 33%   25%   66%   2 0 1 0 0 11
  # Games 18                        

What is the advantage of offering this kid right now? Another Gelon situation. Sweet

Gelon never played at a level even close to what Hellems sees at both high school and AAU. No offense to everybody's romanticism towards Indiana high school basketball, but the quality of play in St. Louis is way better than the region. Not too mention that our only guard commit in the 17 class is similarly ranked as a 3 star.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

More post-offer info on Hellems:

• He was at 2016 Hoosier Hysteria - his takeaways from the on-campus visit were that IU is a historically significant basketball place, and that AH is loud
  • IU has been in regular contact since his HH visit. CTC has been the primary recruiter
  • Both of his parents played college ball
  • He was 6'5" when he visited for HH, but is now 6'7" and is still growing
  • IUBB is currently his #1 choice
  • The strength of his game is as a shooter; CTC told him he's seeing him as a "big guard"
  • Is the featured player for a big time program (Tatum, Lee, Beal)
  • No discussion of a timetable or OV

29 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Gelon never played at a level even close to what Hellems sees at both high school and AAU. No offense to everybody's romanticism towards Indiana high school basketball, but the quality of play in St. Louis is way better than the region. Not too mention that our only guard commit in the 17 class is similarly ranked as a 3 star.

I get that. My point is we could have offered him later, after we go after and perhaps miss on other top targets. I see no advantage to be the first offer on a 3 star who we could likely pick up much later in the game. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I get that. My point is we could have offered him later, after we go after and perhaps miss on other top targets. I see no advantage to be the first offer on a 3 star who we could likely pick up much later in the game. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Based on Stu's summary above, it sounds like this kid IS a top target

I personally think it's beneficial to have a good relationship with a high upside player. If he blows up, we were in on the ground floor. If he doesn't, the offer can go cold.

I'm a fan of this kid. As someone mentioned earlier, he was behind Jayson Tatum and Tyler cook (Iowa freshman) last year on his high school team, as well as those two plus more on his AAU team. I'm confident he'll be a four star after this strong HS season and a good summer.

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

More post-offer info on Hellems:

• The strength of his game is as a shooter; CTC told him he's seeing him as a "big guard"

That is in no way supported by this last summer's AAU statistics where he was only 33% from the field and only attempted 12 3-pt. shots in 18 games.  This one just doesn't feel right to me.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That is in no way supported by this last summer's AAU statistics where he was only 33% from the field and only attempted 12 3-pt. shots in 18 games.  This one just doesn't feel right to me.

He was one of only three '18 kids on his AAU team and didn't get that much run. Apparently, IUBB  feels that he has had the tools all along, and that now that he's in a featured role he's shining.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He was one of only three '18 kids on his AAU team and didn't get that much run. Apparently, IUBB  feels that he has had the tools all along, and that now that he's in a featured role he's shining.

Not changing my mind!   I'm old, cranky and stubborn (also sometimes irregular) and I think we're chasing a rainbow with no pot of gold at the end.   My 2 cents from the 132nd row in the bleachers.

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not changing my mind!   I'm old, cranky and stubborn (also sometimes irregular) and I think we're chasing a rainbow with no pot of gold at the end.   My 2 cents from the 132nd row in the bleachers.

Now, you know we have to have a certain number of players nobody has ever heard of.

Don't want him. Not now currently at least if he is gonna blow up we have done enough of recruiting him that we would have an in. We cant just offer 3 star hoping they blow up. I liked OG's athletic ability and potential defense same with oladipo. I loved Juwan's hustle and iq. I love Moore's ability to score anywhere and with some weight looks like a good prospect. I like Durham's driving and getting to the foul line. There isn't one quality or two that stick out about this kid to roll the dice on. All the other kids we have went after had something to work with. I'll eat my chow if this kid ends up a star but I'm confident he will have troubles. Wait until AAU season at least to see if he can play better without Tatum and cook.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app