Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

Fred Glass on the state of IU Athletics

Thanks for posting that. Not a whole lot to say for me at least. It did put into perspective what glass has done for IU athletics in general a lot of renovations and rebuilding. He didn't really seem to have an answer when it came to the basketball scheduling though, 316th in strength of scheduling out of 351, yikes

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A lot of AD speak if you ask me... He is a fan, he wants to be elite, wants national championships and so does Tom... 

Well of course who doesn't? But what are you doing to get us there?

The fact that the coaches create the schedules is a bit troubling to me too... I mean maybe this is the norm but it seems like it sure gives the coach a good way to pad his win total (in any of the sports) and not necessarily look at whats best for the program.

26 minutes ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

Thanks for posting that. Not a whole lot to say for me at least. It did put into perspective what glass has done for IU athletics in general a lot of renovations and rebuilding. He didn't really seem to have an answer when it came to the basketball scheduling though, 316th in strength of scheduling out of 351, yikes

We played Louisville, Kansas, North Carolina and Butler in non-conference and still ended up 316th out of 351. That's crazy. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Glass is delusional if he thinks we're entering a golden age of IU athletics. Also I hate how the article acts like 3 sweet 16s in 5 years is elite, but I'm not surprised. 

I guess he has the "if we build it, they will come," mentality. I think there is something to that. The new facilities will attract better recruits. Although you have to also have the right personnel in place to coach said players.

"Just as a general premise, I think we should always be re-evaluating everything, regardless of topic. If you’re not constantly re-evaluating whether or not you’re doing the right thing based on new information or results, then that’s a mistake."

If this statement is true as to how things run, then what exactly are they re-evaluating? Minus the rise from the dark ages, what else has really changed? Consistently playing horrible non-conference teams, under achievement with all of the touted talent, same in-game issues....? Why does it take a slap in the face (O.G. or Blackman injuries) to wake the team up? Don't get me wrong, I love IU basketball always have, just frustrated as all get out, that in any given game you go for super ecstatic to wanting to throw the remote through the TV. This has happened several times this year, btw.

If there truly is a re-evaluate everything, regardless mentality, where are the lesson learned changes?

44 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I guess he has the "if we build it, they will come," mentality. I think there is something to that. The new facilities will attract better recruits. Although you have to also have the right personnel in place to coach said players.

That's true. New facilities are always a plus, but I'm not sure how much they've helped us in recruiting. We have Cook Hall and Assembly but still miss on most of our top priorities. I think when you're recruiting against the blue bloods top facilities are a requirement, but they won't move the needle much in your favor. The top schools are all going to have nice facilities. Having them is definitely a step in the right direction, but until we show we're a consistent winner the facilities won't bring in the caliber of recruits we all want.  

2 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

A lot of AD speak if you ask me... He is a fan, he wants to be elite, wants national championships and so does Tom... 

Well of course who doesn't? But what are you doing to get us there?

The fact that the coaches create the schedules is a bit troubling to me too... I mean maybe this is the norm but it seems like it sure gives the coach a good way to pad his win total (in any of the sports) and not necessarily look at whats best for the program.

I think the coaches creating the schedule is the norm - if you recall, Izzo at the end of a brutal November apologized for putting together such a tough schedule for his young team.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just evidence that it appears to be the norm.

We played Louisville, Kansas, North Carolina and Butler in non-conference and still ended up 316th out of 351. That's crazy. 

That's baffling to say the least. It just seems like this staff doesn't get it. There are a few things that the noncon season should do

- prepare players for different styles you'll see in conference

- provide opportunities for resume building wins

- gel team and prepare freshmen for important roles later in the season

- play the "RPI game" to have a great RPI at the end of the year

The noncon shouldn't be used to get 8 wins against 250+ teams which is currently being used for.

There is something to that. If you can tell and then show recruits and their families they will have every opportunity to succeed in the classroom and their respective sport that helps in recruiting. Just as important, if not more important, is having the right coaches to win and develop those individuals

23 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's baffling to say the least. It just seems like this staff doesn't get it. There are a few things that the noncon season should do

- prepare players for different styles you'll see in conference

- provide opportunities for resume building wins

- gel team and prepare freshmen for important roles later in the season

- play the "RPI game" to have a great RPI at the end of the year

The noncon shouldn't be used to get 8 wins against 250+ teams which is currently being used for.

These are the non-conference home games Crean/Glass/whoever scheduled this year... None of those games did 1, 2, or 4, and Crean didn't use them to do #3.  

Hope College

Bellarmine

U Mass-Lowell

Liberty

Miss Valley State

SIU Edwardsville

SE Mizzou State

Houston Baptist

Delaware State

Austin Peay

We really have? That surprises me. 

On a Maryland game broadcast on BTN they put up a graph of who has played the toughest schedule so far and at the time we had played the toughest. They compared Maryland to us last year since we won it and played the second easiest B1G schedule. So far Maryland has played the easiest schedule

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

On a Maryland game broadcast on BTN they put up a graph of who has played the toughest schedule so far and at the time we had played the toughest. They compared Maryland to us last year since we won it and played the second easiest B1G schedule. So far Maryland has played the easiest schedule

Ahh okay. And it only gets harder from here on out... I just checked out Maryland's schedule and it looks like the rest of their season should be pretty easy as well. When we played them I wondered why they weren't ranked even though they only had 2 losses. Now it makes more sense. 

Glass will get a test very soon on financial commitment to IU athletics. Time to pony up to keep Grey Frey!

Most of the talk in this topic is basketball-centric, which is understandable. But how about the positive effect the commitment to facilities has had on all other sports?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, akhosrof said:

Glass will get a test very soon on financial commitment to IU athletics. Time to pony up to keep Grey Frey!

Most of the talk in this topic is basketball-centric, which is understandable. But how about the positive effect the commitment to facilities has had on all other sports?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'll be completely honest and admit that I don't care what he does for sports other than basketball and football. I completely understand that he's the athletic director for every team and sport at IU, but I'm worried about what he does for football and basketball. Basketball is what makes IU, IU, and at the end of the day how he is judged as an AD will be based on the state of the basketball program. 

With that said, as someone who went to a high school where the athletic director only cared about one sport and gave it almost all of his attention I appreciate his commitment to caring about IU athletics as a whole. I just wish he had our basketball program in a better place as well.