Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

Fred Glass on the state of IU Athletics

I'll be completely honest and admit that I don't care what he does for sports other than basketball and football. I completely understand that he's the athletic director for every team and sport at IU, but I'm worried about what he does for football and basketball. Basketball is what makes IU, IU, and at the end of the day how he is judged as an AD will be based on the state of the basketball program. 

With that said, as someone who went to a high school where the athletic director only cared about one sport and gave it almost all of his attention I appreciate his commitment to caring about IU athletics as a whole. I just wish he had our basketball program in a better place as well. 

I think that is a perfectly fair reaction to have, especially as an IU fan. However, from a university president's perspective, Glass has been very successful. The president's perspective is the only one that matters as long as the AD is keeping revenues high.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yea, I really thought we upgraded but the cupcakes got cupcakier I guess.

I guess he has the "if we build it, they will come," mentality. I think there is something to that. The new facilities will attract better recruits. Although you have to also have the right personnel in place to coach said players.

There were suppose to but its worse then last year. Freds been giving the same I want national titles speech for three years . I think he got hit on the head with one to many waves while surfing. There will be no national titles with crean.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I think that is a perfectly fair reaction to have, especially as an IU fan. However, from a university president's perspective, Glass has been very successful. The president's perspective is the only one that matters as long as the AD is keeping revenues high.

If crean, whom a large percentage of the iu faithful are unhappy with is keeping revenue in a good place, he cannot be dumb enough not to realize the potential if he found someone the fanbase was ecstatic about. There can always be more.. and as far as other sports go, there has been a TON of turnover and mediocrity at the coaching level

If crean, whom a large percentage of the iu faithful are unhappy with is keeping revenue in a good place, he cannot be dumb enough not to realize the potential if he found someone the fanbase was ecstatic about. There can always be more.. and as far as other sports go, there has been a TON of turnover and mediocrity at the coaching level

Hence why I mentioned revenues. Donations are at all time highs under Glass. The basketball team is still selling out. You and I may not be happy, but obviously those who are influential are still spending/giving. Until that changes, I am not sure how much more potential there is with the basketball team and revenues? Crean has ever resource available to him and already has among the best facilities.

The major untapped revenue potential is football. Selling out Memorial Stadium every week would be huge. If two other "basketball schools", Louisville and UK can get 50K and 60K a game, respectively, our goal should be 50K if the team is good. Louisville is expanding their stadium too.

Glass has done an excellent job of investing in the football team. We have had Hoosier alum in the NFL come back and say I never realized how good our facilities were until I was in the NFL. We have DeBord and Watson, who coached at Tennessee and Texas respectively, who raved about our facilities. It will only get better with the south end zone enclosure.

So yes, I tend to agree with Glass. I believe we are entering a golden age of IU athletics. Football and all non-revenue sports have improved. As much as we are frustrated by Crean, we will always be one coaching change away from a national championship. I am still in the crowd that believes we can win one with Crean, but at the very least you can't argue that he hasn't built a great foundation that is close to being a championship contender.

Hence why I mentioned revenues. Donations are at all time highs under Glass. The basketball team is still selling out. You and I may not be happy, but obviously those who are influential are still spending/giving. Until that changes, I am not sure how much more potential there is with the basketball team and revenues? Crean has ever resource available to him and already has among the best facilities.

The major untapped revenue potential is football. Selling out Memorial Stadium every week would be huge. If two other "basketball schools", Louisville and UK can get 50K and 60K a game, respectively, our goal should be 50K if the team is good. Louisville is expanding their stadium too.

Glass has done an excellent job of investing in the football team. We have had Hoosier alum in the NFL come back and say I never realized how good our facilities were until I was in the NFL. We have DeBord and Watson, who coached at Tennessee and Texas respectively, who raved about our facilities. It will only get better with the south end zone enclosure.

So yes, I tend to agree with Glass. I believe we are entering a golden age of IU athletics. Football and all non-revenue sports have improved. As much as we are frustrated by Crean, we will always be one coaching change away from a national championship. I am still in the crowd that believes we can win one with Crean, but at the very least you can't argue that he hasn't built a great foundation that is close to being a championship contender.

If he is here 30 years winning one I guess is possible but still not likely. Recruiting is getting worse and you still think we can win one under sweet sixeteen Tommy? He will never land another Cody zeller. Never

If he is here 30 years winning one I guess is possible but still not likely. Recruiting is getting worse and you still think we can win one under sweet sixeteen Tommy? He will never land another Cody zeller. Never

Haha I'm not touching or making that argument. There are 9,999 other topics on that. My argument was pertaining to Glass only. I simply threw in a personal opinion on Crean that I'm not married to. It's irrelevant regardless.

"The state of IU athletics" more like "The state of IU basketball" lol

Could really use a new golf course

They have some beautiful land to make an amazing golf course. It would be nice to see a diamond put in that attracted golfers from Indy and other areas.

We are the southern most campus in the Big Ten no?

They have some beautiful land to make an amazing golf course. It would be nice to see a diamond put in that attracted golfers from Indy and other areas.

We are the southern most campus in the Big Ten no?

Indeed, and also the worst golf course...by far

On 1/26/2017 at 7:24 AM, Oladipo said:

Indeed, and also the worst golf course...by far

The sad part is the thing could be incredible with some work and effort.  The layout and topography are perfect.  I loved playing it when I was in school....always a fun round; but they need to lose some trees so the course gets light and air; and take better care of it.