Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) PG Mark Smith to Illinois

We are watching tonight.

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article128320249.html

Edwardsville High senior guard Mark Smith is becoming a popular attraction on the Midwestern Division I college basketball recruiting circuit.

The 6-foot-4 Smith has been among the St. Louis area scoring leaders all season, currently averaging 22.4 points. The versatile playmaker also averages 7.9 rebounds and 8.5 assists while hitting 60.6 percent of his shots.

Smith’s current Division I scholarship offers include Illinois, Kansas State, Northwestern, Missouri and DePaul. Illini head coach John Groce and Northwestern coach Chris Collins were both at Edwardsville practices last week and Indiana staff is coming to watch Smith play Tuesday at Alton.

7 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

We are watching tonight.

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article128320249.html

Edwardsville High senior guard Mark Smith is becoming a popular attraction on the Midwestern Division I college basketball recruiting circuit.

The 6-foot-4 Smith has been among the St. Louis area scoring leaders all season, currently averaging 22.4 points. The versatile playmaker also averages 7.9 rebounds and 8.5 assists while hitting 60.6 percent of his shots.

Smith’s current Division I scholarship offers include Illinois, Kansas State, Northwestern, Missouri and DePaul. Illini head coach John Groce and Northwestern coach Chris Collins were both at Edwardsville practices last week and Indiana staff is coming to watch Smith play Tuesday at Alton.

Wow, if you add his ppg and points per assist totals, he's averaging over 40 points from his play per contest, and doing so in the highest (4A) tier of Illinois high school ball.

On 1/22/2017 at 1:45 AM, Demo said:

Smith is a very good player. I assume he's this far under the radar because he was playing baseball in the summer instead of AAU.

Full 6'4",  pushing 200. Probably play at 210-215 in college. Great frame.  Avg length. Really strong and very physical. Created a ton of contact. Good athlete, but not elite. Close to Rojo athletically. Quick off the floor, very little gather. Good body control, finished through contact easily. Good lift, extension and balance on his jump shot and has effortless deep range. Made a couple from NBA 3pt range. Took the ball to the rim with complete abandon and finished with either hand. Also had 2 charges. Went down on the block and punished a couple of smaller kids, but also made a couple of terrific passes when doubled. Has point guard vision, passed the ball well and took care of the ball, but their offense made it hard to tell if he has point guard instincts. He initiated a lot of stuff, but didn't really orchestrate much, if that makes sense. They also played at just a glacial pace, literally turning down fast break chances, so no clue what he's like in the open floor.  Hard to tell much about him defensively. He was always matched up with the weakest offensive player on the floor and was constantly sagging, doubling and generally free lancing. Lateral movement looked fine. Emotionally, seemed like kind of a flatliner. Didn't change expression much, but played hard. He's not Hollowell, he looked like he wanted to be playing. 

Overall he's a lot like Paul Scruggs. Maybe not quite that good, but not far off either. Smith is taller and a better shooter, but not quite as good athletically and not as intense a competitor. If CTC watches this kid and thinks he's a PG, I'd be shocked if he doesn't offer. If he thinks he's a CG, maybe not. If we don't offer, I really hope he doesn't end up at Illinois. On 1 viewing only, I think he has a chance to be really good.

Thanks for sharing. Is he quick enough to play pg at this level?

42 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Thanks for sharing. Is he quick enough to play pg at this level?

He's really explosive downhill, so no problem straight ahead. The way he was used made it hard to gauge his lateral quickness. At no point was he pressuring a dribbler, so not a lot of change of direction. But the kid is such a specimen and so strong that I can see him just bodying up smaller pg's and cutting off their initial angles. 

Explosive athlete that spots the open man and is able to make the pass. I think we go after him if we believe we will lose more than one guard and he's willing to sit and learn for a year.

I don't see him beating out Green or, unfortunately, Newkirk next season. He'll have a few SG in front of him with RoJo and CuJo. Durham and Smith could be solid in the future but it feels like we're reaching on something we don't really need.

Is there something to gain by recruiting and/or landing this kid?

Explosive athlete that spots the open man and is able to make the pass. I think we go after him if we believe we will lose more than one guard and he's willing to sit and learn for a year.

I don't see him beating out Green or, unfortunately, Newkirk next season. He'll have a few SG in front of him with RoJo and CuJo. Durham and Smith could be solid in the future but it feels like we're reaching on something we don't really need.

Is there something to gain by recruiting and/or landing this kid?

If Crean thinks this kid can truly play PG, then there is a lot to gain. Otherwise, he adds to the logjam at SG. In addition, Tucker sees himself as a SG and says IU has been recruiting him as such.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If Crean thinks this kid can truly play PG, then there is a lot to gain. Otherwise, he adds to the logjam at SG. In addition, Tucker sees himself as a SG and says IU has been recruiting him as such.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Why not give Green more time? It seems like if Crean truly wants this kid it'll just add another piece he can sub for whenever the "need" arises. I think Green should be the PG of the future unless there's a super elite point that wants to play at IU.