Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) PG Mark Smith to Illinois

Even heard his visit here was more so a visit for Northwestern. He is either going to NW or Butler with UK and MSU now probably up there with them. Wouldnt discount Mizzou or Illinois either. This kid will be probably the biggest recruit this spring. This kid is the perfect example of hard work paying off tho. Honestly hard to be happy for him if he went to UK but I do love seeing stories like his. Duke is probably gonna jump in too I have heard.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Romeo could be tough but he is an adidas kid so it is possible. I think he will land a big and a point guard. Possibly Phinisee for the pg spot.

I want Phinisee so damn bad... It's players like him that I can't stand watching us miss out on. I understand missing on the consensus top 5-10 players from the state, bc they can go anywhere they want....it's the players like Phinisee that end up at Xavier, or worse..... a conference foe, that bothers me the most. We can make title runs with players his quality.

14 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I want Phinisee so damn bad... It's players like him that I can't stand watching us miss out on. I understand missing on the consensus top 5-10 players from the state, bc they can go anywhere they want....it's the players like Phinisee that end up at Xavier, or worse..... a conference foe, that bothers me the most. We can make title runs with players his quality.

I agree 100 %. Phinisee reminds me a little bit of Tyler Ulis that played at Kentucky only an couple inches taller. So yeah he has to be prioritized ahead of anyone not named Romeo imo.

9 hours ago, ap2345 said:

I agree. I think CAM is going to be a monster in recruiting much like his brother is at Arizona.

I'm not disagreeing but what makes you say that? I have read at least one anecdote (from Archie himself about how he got the nickname Archie) that could lead one to believe he is much less outgoing than Sean.

2 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I'm not disagreeing but what makes you say that? I have read at least one anecdote (from Archie himself about how he got the nickname Archie) that could lead one to believe he is much less outgoing than Sean.

He has recruited high level players at Arizona and Ohio State. He also has connections to USA basketball U19 team as an assistant for Sean. Plus he has gotten several good players to come to Dayton like Kostas Auntentakmpo who was a 4 star. So if he can attract this kids to UD I would hope he could get 4 and 5 stars to IU. 

6 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

I'd obviously prefer Smith, but Phinisee would be a nice get regardless. Wish I could have seen more of him when they came to Kokomo but he got injured early in the 3rd quarter.

I don't think we will have a spot for any more 17 kids if we keep Smith and Durham. Just my gut feeling but I think we might only have 2 open scholarships for the 2017 class.

11 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He has recruited high level players at Arizona and Ohio State. He also has connections to USA basketball U19 team as an assistant for Sean. Plus he has gotten several good players to come to Dayton like Kostas Auntentakmpo who was a 4 star. So if he can attract this kids to UD I would hope he could get 4 and 5 stars to IU. 

Sean is no longer the coach of that team, Calipari is. Dayton's recruiting classes were never particularly impressive, even factoring in that it is Dayton.  I hope you are right and am thrilled with the hire regardless, but I'm not sure there is overwhelming evidence of his recruiting prowess.

Sean is no longer the coach of that team, Calipari is. Dayton's recruiting classes were never particularly impressive, even factoring in that it is Dayton.  I hope you are right and am thrilled with the hire regardless, but I'm not sure there is overwhelming evidence of his recruiting prowess.

Sean or Calipari either one. He still has connections with that team.

8 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he is still an assistant even if it is Calipari but still has the connections.

9 hours ago, HoosierX said:

I took a bit of a look at Miller's recruiting. Archie Miller was the lead recruiter for Arizona in 2010 and 2011. In 2010, Archie was the lead for three AZ enrollees:

Daniel Bejarano #72 
Jordan Mayes #119 
Jesse Perry (Junior College)

In 2011, Archie was the lead recruiter for AZ's top recruit: Josiah Turner (#11). He's also talked about how he recruited Nick Johnson to Arizona (and, earlier, Aaron Craft at Ohio State). All these numbers are based on their 247 Sports profiles. All in all, it seems pretty promising to me for only two years to look at. Especially because you know that Sean's staff was at a disadvantage in 2010 because they'd just been hired a year prior.

I don't think we will have a spot for any more 17 kids if we keep Smith and Durham. Just my gut feeling but I think we might only have 2 open scholarships for the 2017 class.

I second this and worry we wont get Kostas because of no room. IMO that kid should have a spot regardless. Giannis talked about his brothers during All Star Weekend and said his youngest gets the most media attention and Thannis was the best defensive player and Kostas had the will to be better than all of them. I know it is his brother but man I want that kid. 6'10 wing running the floor as athletic is he is!! We havent had that kinda talent here. We have had plenty of skilled kids but not 6'10 ones as athletic as Kostas.

12 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

I second this and worry we wont get Kostas because of no room. IMO that kid should have a spot regardless. Giannis talked about his brothers during All Star Weekend and said his youngest gets the most media attention and Thannis was the best defensive player and Kostas had the will to be better than all of them. I know it is his brother but man I want that kid. 6'10 wing running the floor as athletic is he is!! We havent had that kinda talent here. We have had plenty of skilled kids but not 6'10 ones as athletic as Kostas.

I agree. I guess we'll see what happens because it is going to get interesting one way or the other.