Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) PG Mark Smith to Illinois

16 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

Bout time. Crean was @ his practice today.

If this were the Fire Tom Crean thread, I'd probably make a snide comment like we waited because he doesn't live far enough away from Bloomington.  But since it isn't that thread, I won't!    On a serious note, I like what I've seen and I will not be upset at all if we can land him.  He already had strong interest to play collegiate baseball so the kid is an all-around athlete.

1 hour ago, ccgeneral said:

Bout time. Crean was @ his practice today.

Also surprised it took this long. Edwardsville is playing at E St Louis Friday night. Would love to check it out to validate what I've seen. But struggling with balancing getting to see Smith and Tillmon play vs getting knifed in the parking lot. Tough call.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Also surprised it took this long. Edwardsville is playing at E St Louis Friday night. Would love to check it out to validate what I've seen. But struggling with balancing getting to see Smith and Tillmon play vs getting knifed in the parking lot. Tough call.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat,"

Idk if you could pay me to go to that game. ESL is bad news bears. Should be a good game though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, HoosierRob said:

If he's a elite talent, he should start at pg next year. I haven't seen him though.

Looks like the real deal to me. May be better than anyone we have coming in. Looks like the competition is getting stiff though.

On 2/2/2017 at 8:25 PM, Hovadipo said:

Idk if you could pay me to go to that game. ESL is bad news bears. Should be a good game though.

18-12 Edwardsville after 1 quarter. Mark Smith has 5, Jeremiah Tilmon has 4       Or maybe Smith only has 2 pts.  Conflicting tweets.

Halftime:  36-31 Edwardsville. Jeremiah Tilmon with 6 and a monster block. Mark Smith has 7.

Mark Smith with 14 as Edwardsville leads 57-45 headed to the 4th quarter.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart

2017 Mark Smith taking. More of a football body type than typical wiry high school hooper but makes great use of strength. Tough kid

On Smith, super physical ball handler. Very competitive and has some feel for the game. Interesting prospect for sure.

@ebosshoops

2017 guard @Mark_Smith_13 19 points as Edwardsville (IL) wins a hotly contested road game at East St. Louis, 81-70.
@jeffrabjohns

Mark Smith goes for I believe 24 as Edwardsville wins by double figures
@bsnowscout

Wonder which one is right Lol

You won't get stabbed in the parking lot

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

"Smith is one of the most sought after seniors in the country. He finished the night with 19 points, six rebounds, nine assists and two steals."  Now that's the kind of stat line I could learn to live with!   Thanks USPS for the newspaper account.  

Mike Pegram, Peegs.com
2017 guard Mark Smith of Edwardsville (IL) updates his fast-rising recruitment

JEFF RABJOHNS
2:35 AM
EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. — 2017 guard Mark Smith on Friday night showed why he's a fast-rising college basketball prospect. See what the 6-foot-4 guard from Edwardsville (IL) showed and what he said about Indiana, his timetable and other schools now recruiting him.

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. — Edwardsville (IL) 2017 guard Mark Smith showed on Friday night why high-major college basketball programs are now recruiting him.

Six-foot-4 and 225 pounds with a 6-foot-8 1/2 wingspan, Smith displayed both point guard and shooting guard ability in leading his team to a conference road win in a hostile and sometimes testy environment.
Smith finished with 19 points, eight assists and six rebounds in a game that included police officers on the floor briefly as fans nearly entered the court during a scuffle. Edwardsville won 81-70 over an East St. Louis team that includes five-star 7-foot center Jeremiah Tilmon, an Illinois signee.
Smith shot 6-for-12 from 2-point range and 1-for-3 from the arc, his make coming off the dribble out front well behind the line.
Smith is a late arrival on the major-college basketball recruiting scene. Initially, he was a baseball commit to Missouri.
“After I decommitted from Missouri — I sprained my forearm — I decided to hop on the basketball circuit in July the last two weeks. I got a couple mid-major offers and took a couple visits. Then I decided I was going to play this season out because I wanted to see the teams play,” Smith said.
“I had a couple games I played very well, and I’m fortunate and blessed to get these opportunities by these schools.”
Smith’s early official visits were to Wright State, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and Northern Illinois, so he has two official visits remaining.
Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Kansas State, DePaul and Boston college have offered recently. Kansas, Ohio State, California and others have been in to watch him recently.
(SEE ALSO: Video interview with Mark Smith | Scouting notes from Mike Pegram, Brian Snow and Jeff Rabjohns on Mark Smith | Inside The Locker Room)
Indiana is his most recent offer. That came this week from IU head coach Tom Crean after Crean and IU assistant Rob Judson both watched him. Crean has been to see Smith twice recently.
“They said I’m a big physical guard. I have a quick first step. I get into the lane and make plays for my teammates, finish well and I’m able to shoot,” Smith said.
“They feel I’m a confident player, that I help my teammates get the ball and make shots and that I’m a playmaker. They say I can come in and be an impact player there right off the bat.
“They feel they can develop me to be a really good athlete. They say I’m going to get better as an athlete and a player.”
Smith is scheduled to make an unofficial visit to Illinois on Saturday. He said he is looking to visit Indiana.
“I think I might be going up there soon,” he said of IU. “I’m not sure yet. I don’t want to miss practice. We have a goal here trying to go far and make a big run and get to state and do the best we can.”
Smith said Indiana discussed one of the aspects that is important to him in player development.
“They said they develop their guards really well, get guys to the next level,” Smith said on the same night former Indiana point guard Yogi Ferrell scored 32 points for the Dallas Mavericks.
“That’s also a thing I’m looking for, going to a program where they can develop me for the next level. Illinois has a history of that, too. I’m just looking for the best program and best fit for me where I can be an impact player.”
Illinois has jumped in hard as well with Smith.
“I’m building a good relationship with all the coaches, especially coach (John) Groce. That’s one of the most important things to me in a school, the relationship with the head coach. Coach Groce and I, we talk almost every day. He sent me a text before this game, saying, good luck tonight, I’m looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.”
Smith said he’s not likely to make any decisions until after the season. With major-college programs jumping in late in the process, he has an abbreviated time frame as opposed to usual recruitments at this level that last several years.
“I want to build a relationship with all the coaches, just trying to build the trust with the head coach and assistant coaches,” Smith said. “That’s going to be my home for however long, the next four years or so.
“I want to make the most of my next four years, and that’s going to be my family. I want to get to know all the coaches in a short period of time.”
As for other aspects that are important, Smith added: “I want my emotions to feel right. I want it to feel right. I know my education is going to be great wherever I go. I’m looking for a place where I can develop the most and come in as a freshman and play and help the team go far and win.”
Smith discussed his view of his own strengths and weaknesses.
Strengths? “I feel my strengths are getting my teammates open, getting to the basket, finishing at the rim, hitting shots wherever I’m at on the court.”
Weaknesses: “My defense. I need to guard better. They hit a couple shots on me. That and better shot decisions.”