Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) PG Mark Smith to Illinois

In my honest opinion Mark Smith's build reminds me of kid from Indiana that was under recruited his name is Desmond Bane. Now that kid is playing really well  at TCU which has been somewhat of a surprise team in the Big 12 even though they have cooled off in conference play a little. I know Desmond is more of a 2 guard but this kid has a similar build as what Bane has. If Mark Smith could play the PG spot with that build and have a similar impact as what Bane has had at TCU as a freshman. I would sign up right know.

14 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

32 pts in a 59-48 win. Judson was with Crean to.

@Sports_EHS: Tiger Boys Basketball defeats Alton 59-48 and improve to 17-1 on the season and 6-1 in SWC. Smith 32 points. #EHSHoops

And the countdown to the offer is "T" minus 3 days, 2 days, 1 day........

JBJ is gone 100% sure with this. Think we all knew but this shores it up. If Tucker chooses us next week though that would be 5 freshmen. I don't like that one bit, but in year two and three it could be very beneficial.

PG: Smith, Newkirk, DG
SG: RoJo, Durham, CuJo, Gelon
SF: Tucker, Smith(J), McRoberts
PF: Morgan, Moore, McSwain, Priller, OG(possible)
C: DD

We need another big imo, but you can never have enough good guards I guess. Idk who leaves to make the numbers work, but here is my best guess.

TB-Moore
JBJ-Smith
Gelon-Durham
Hartman-Tucker or Smith
Priller if we take 5

If OG stays and who we lose compared to gain isn't a drastic loss, but JBJ is gonna be a huge one. RoJo is gonna have to take the next step, one freshmen will have to be very very good, Moore will have to contribute, DD will have to improve and I expect him along with RoJo to be our best players next year, OG will have to learn how to dribble or he doesn't impact us on offense but the defense is well worth it, DG or this Smith kid will have to be at least average at the point or Newkirk. That is a lot, but very possible. With the right coach we could be a contender in the B1G. We will wait and see who that is.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Some miscellaneous I've dug up for Smith since the first of this year.  Some of the info has already been posted by others.

As of 1/9/17 :  Smith is averaging 9.5 assists, and Edwardsville has assisted on 72 percent of its made field goals this season.  Edwardsville’s three-headed monster of Smith, Oliver Stephen and AJ Epenesa are combining for 70 percent of the team’s offense. Smith is averaging a team-best 22.9 points.    

1/18/17 Edwardsville over Mt. Vernon 49-37.  Smith with team high 15 pts. and 6 assists.

1/20/17 Edwardsville over Triad  39-23.  Smith with team high 20 pts. and team high 6 reb. 

1/22/17 Edwardsville over Centralia 50-46.  With a 27-point performance against Centralia, Smith showed that he was deserving of being named the tournament’s MVP.  Smith also had 20 points in a 39-23 semifinal win over Triad on Friday and 15 points in a 49-37 victory over Mount Vernon on Wednesday.  For the season, Smith is averaging 22.4 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. 

But when asked about what being named MVP means to him, Smith deflected the credit to his teammates.  “I’m just glad I won it with my team and I just want us to go as far as we can,” said Smith, who is being recruited by several Division I schools including Illinois. “Caleb (Strohmeier), Ollie (Stephen) and I grew up together and I’ve played with them a long time. Nathan (Kolesa) and Jack also had some big plays and Jackson Best played well off the bench, so I thought we did a great job as a team.”

1/24/17 Edwardsville over Alton 59-48.  It was the 13th consecutive victory for EHS, which is 17-1 overall.  Edwardsville, ranked third in the state in Class 4A, improved to 7-1 in the conference.  Smith finished with 32 pts. and now has 1,190 career points.  This was his sixth game this year with 30+ points.  He also grabbed 11 rebounds.

Kid is a consistent performer; I like what I've seen thus far.

Some miscellaneous I've dug up for Smith since the first of this year.  Some of the info has already been posted by others.

As of 1/9/17 :  Smith is averaging 9.5 assists, and Edwardsville has assisted on 72 percent of its made field goals this season.  Edwardsville’s three-headed monster of Smith, Oliver Stephen and AJ Epenesa are combining for 70 percent of the team’s offense. Smith is averaging a team-best 22.9 points.    

1/18/17 Edwardsville over Mt. Vernon 49-37.  Smith with team high 15 pts. and 6 assists.

1/20/17 Edwardsville over Triad  39-23.  Smith with team high 20 pts. and team high 6 reb. 

1/22/17 Edwardsville over Centralia 50-46.  With a 27-point performance against Centralia, Smith showed that he was deserving of being named the tournament’s MVP.  Smith also had 20 points in a 39-23 semifinal win over Triad on Friday and 15 points in a 49-37 victory over Mount Vernon on Wednesday.  For the season, Smith is averaging 22.4 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. 

But when asked about what being named MVP means to him, Smith deflected the credit to his teammates.  “I’m just glad I won it with my team and I just want us to go as far as we can,” said Smith, who is being recruited by several Division I schools including Illinois. “Caleb (Strohmeier), Ollie (Stephen) and I grew up together and I’ve played with them a long time. Nathan (Kolesa) and Jack also had some big plays and Jackson Best played well off the bench, so I thought we did a great job as a team.”

1/24/17 Edwardsville over Alton 59-48.  It was the 13th consecutive victory for EHS, which is 17-1 overall.  Edwardsville, ranked third in the state in Class 4A, improved to 7-1 in the conference.  Smith finished with 32 pts. and now has 1,190 career points.  This was his sixth game this year with 30+ points.  He also grabbed 11 rebounds.

Kid is a consistent performer; I like what I've seen thus far.

Me as well I would take him or jordan walker and be happy. Both seem to be late bloomers

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm hoping we can get him. Just have to get the guard situation worked out. Not sure how much PT will be available.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

PG - Newkirk, Green, (Smith)
SG - RoJo, CuJo, Gelon, Durham

That's without adding in Tucker if he wants to play the 2 guard. I don't know if it's a good idea to have 6+ guards on the roster with little separation. I guess that's why I'm not coaching the team though.