Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and team resumes thread

USPS, at this point, how much is it possible to raise Indiana’s seed line? Realistically I mean. Say they get just those 5 more wins you were talking about, or maybe one more to end 6-3 in the final 9. Assuming we r currently a 10. Could we get to a 6?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

USPS, at this point, how much is it possible to raise Indiana’s seed line? Realistically I mean. Say they get just those 5 more wins you were talking about, or maybe one more to end 6-3 in the final 9. Assuming we r currently a 10. Could we get to a 6?

With the Big Ten as tough as it is I bet we could get a 6 going 11-9 with a win in big ten tourney. Just a gut feeling though 

that would put us at 21-10 with a 10 ten schedule in country. 

44 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

All depends on what other teams around them do as well but hypothetically lets say they win 5 more and those wins are Rutgers, Michigan St, Wisky, Purdue, Iowa you would be adding 3 top 12 Net wins and a net 22 win with beating Rutgers assuring you have no bad losses. They could move to the 7 maybe 6. A lot would have to happen. Too many variables to give a definite answer but winning these home games against the Top Net teams are key. Also it will be key for Marquette,Louisville and Butler to win as many as possible

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Now that football season is behind us, college basketball can dominate the sports landscape for the next two months. On Saturday (12:30 p.m. ET on CBS), the men's basketball committee will release its top 16 teams (through Friday's games) on the 3rd annual Bracket Preview Show.
David Worlock

All depends on what other teams around them do as well but hypothetically lets say they win 5 more and those wins are Rutgers, Michigan St, Wisky, Purdue, Iowa you would be adding 3 top 12 Net wins and a net 22 win with beating Rutgers assuring you have no bad losses. They could move to the 7 maybe 6. A lot would have to happen. Too many variables to give a definite answer but winning these home games against the Top Net teams are key. Also it will be key for Marquette,Louisville and Butler to win as many as possible

Thanks. Yeah, I figured much would depend on how teams around us would do. Does the remaining schedule have enough strength/opportunity to move up without a win vs State? I understand, of course, that it is difficult to predict but 6 to me gives us the best chance to get to a 3rd game. I generally view 7-10 as Saturday exits. Obviously, I know it happens often, but odds are not good.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:21 PM, HoosierAloha said:

As it stands, 5 more wins would be, at least, a quad 3, two quad 2, and 2 quad 1 wins. The Big Ten is quite strong this season.

I believe the rest of the schedule is:

vs Iowa (quad 1)
vs O$U (quad 2)
@Minny (quad 1)
vs pu (quad 1)
@ Iowa (quad 1)
vs Wiscy (quad 1)
vs MSU ( quad 1)
@Ill (quad 2)
vs Rutgers (quad 3)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

7 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Thanks. Yeah, I figured much would depend on how teams around us would do. Does the remaining schedule have enough strength/opportunity to move up without a win vs State? I understand, of course, that it is difficult to predict but 6 to me gives us the best chance to get to a 3rd game. I generally view 7-10 as Saturday exits. Obviously, I know it happens often, but odds are not good.

I'm not USPS and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I believe there are more than enough opportunities to move up.  I had the NET ranking for each other of them typed out before BtownBanners refreshed on my iPad.

I'm not USPS and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I believe there are more than enough opportunities to move up.  I had the NET ranking for each other of them typed out before BtownBanners refreshed on my iPad.

Nice Breakdown. He sure is right about the home games. Take those and I’d have to think it would be 6-7.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:21 PM, HoosierAloha said:

As it stands, 5 more wins would be, at least, a quad 3, two quad 2, and 2 quad 1 wins. The Big Ten is quite strong this season.

I believe the rest of the schedule is:

vs Iowa (quad 1, NET 22)
vs O$U (quad 2, NET 35)
@Minny (quad 1, NET 53)
vs pu (quad 1, NET 11)
@ Iowa (quad 1, NET 22)
vs Wiscy (quad 1, NET 12)
vs MSU ( quad 1, NET 8)
@Ill (quad 2, NET 98)
vs Rutgers (quad 3, NET 119)

There are the NET rankings through yesterdays games. 

Only winning home games would add four quad 1 wins and a quad 3 win with the quad 2 games a wash.  I don't think we get down to a 6 seed with that resume but I'm nothing close to a bracketologist.  If we added the @Ill game that might do it but we just need to win the next game. 

I’m looking at the numbers now for mid majors at-larges compared to at-large sub 20 win/sub .500 conf for teams in the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac12 and SEC. From a 7 seed(highest a power conf team has gotten with less than 20 wins/sub .500) to a 13 seed(lowest a mid major at large has gotten). Mid majors includes all conference outside of the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac12 and SEC.

Edit: I’ve gotten back to 2011. It isn’t even close. Mid majors are 45-41 with multiple Final Fours and a natty. P6 teams are 13-27.

1 hour ago, Joe DeLow said:

I’m looking at the numbers now for mid majors at-larges compared to at-large sub 20 win/sub .500 conf for teams in the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac12 and SEC. From a 7 seed(highest a power conf team has gotten with less than 20 wins/sub .500) to a 13 seed(lowest a mid major at large has gotten). Mid majors includes all conference outside of the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac12 and SEC.

Edit: I’ve gotten back to 2011. It isn’t even close. Mid majors are 45-41 with multiple Final Fours and a natty. P6 teams are 13-27.

Your numbers are set by your parameters.  The first thing is to define what a mid-major is.  I don't consider the AAC and the A-10 mid-majors.  

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Your numbers are set by your parameters.  The first thing is to define what a mid-major is.  I don't consider the AAC and the A-10 mid-majors.  

More importantly, who even cares?! At this point, I'm still trying to figure out if this dude is even an IU fan... he seems to argue for them not making the tourney every chance he gets.

Also, which mid-major team won a "natty"? The closest thing I see in recent (?) years would be UNLV in 1990?? Are they a mid-major?

4 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

More importantly, who even cares?! At this point, I'm still trying to figure out if this dude is even an IU fan... he seems to argue for them not making the tourney every chance he gets.

Also, which mid-major team won a "natty"? The closest thing I see in recent (?) years would be UNLV in 1990?? Are they a mid-major?

He would be referring to UConn from the AAC.

The NET is interesting..

IU was NET 43 before yesterday’s games. PSU pulls off a NET 1 win at Northwestern to jump from NET 85 to NET 74, giving IU another quad 1 win (at PSU). UCF and IU flip flop the NET 43 and 44 spots. Interesting!

Regardless of NET ranking, we need to win.

2 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Oh, wow... ok, lol. UConn is considered a mid-major now? So they were P5 in the Big East when they won it all in 2011, but a mid-major program when they did it again in 2014? 

Pretty much what he is saying.  

That is why in my earlier post I pointed out about what he called a mid-major.  By the parameters he set up.....UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, etc.  Are all mid-majors.