Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUMBB at Penn State Game Thread - Wed., Jan. 18. - 7:00 ET on BTN

A day early, but this news today.   "IU associate head coach Tim Buckley characterizes Juwan Morgan as likely a "game-time decision" for Penn State."  I'm already nervous about this game and I didn't need to see this.  Even if he plays, he won't be at 100%.

RPI Rankings as of Jan. 16:  http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi   IU #86.  PSU #63

Indiana (12-6, 2-3 Big Ten) at Penn State (11-7, 3-2 Big Ten)

Background

Game Notes

Stats - Live

Radio

TV - BTN2Go

I watched the Minn @ PSU game over the weekend. PSU took ill advised shots early in the game and Minn jumped on them. Both teams turned the ball over a lot early in the game too. PSU's offense looked much like ours when we stand around and gun from deep.

I can see this game going much like the games against them in the past. They'll be physical and we'll stop going inside and just gun from deep. If we hit we have a chance to win. If we don't...

I watched the Minn @ PSU game over the weekend. PSU took ill advised shots early in the game and Minn jumped on them. Both teams turned the ball over a lot early in the game too. PSU's offense looked much like ours when we stand around and gun from deep.

I can see this game going much like the games against them in the past. They'll be physical and we'll stop going inside and just gun from deep. If we hit we have a chance to win. If we don't...

a win tomorrow and iu will be 4-1 in their last 5 games at penn st. Seems like that should be worst

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

a win tomorrow and iu will be 4-1 in their last 5 games at penn st. Seems like that should be worst

And then that one at home a few years ago....

IF IU wins tomorrow they'll be 3-2 in the last 5 against PSU. If we lose... 2-3 in last 5. Ouch

And then that one at home a few years ago....

Yeah I was just talking about being on the road. Before I looked it up I thought our record would be worse at penn st. Thanks for the reminder of the total collapse with 3:36 left in the game. That was a bad loss

10 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Is Morgan still dinged up from getting thrown down on his shoulder or is it the ankle tweak from the other night?

Pretty sure it's the ankle tweak. Haven't heard anything about his shoulder since the Nebraska game

This team could have been special.  It actually still could be, but the sun is quickly beginning to set on that possibility.  While they have the collective ability to reach tremendous accomplishments - no one is taking a hold of the reins.  I well recall the 1981 National Championship Team.  There were days that they couldn't beat the church choir - because they would play to their opponents ability. They lost 9 regular season games that year -  and then they started to play to their own potential.  Someone, either player or coach - grab a hold of the reins...  time is running out.

How big is Wednesday’s game at Penn State? If you put any stock into KenPom’s win probabilities, it’s enormous. Here’s a look at Indiana’s remaining Big Ten road games with Pomeroy’s chances of an Indiana win (as of Tuesday, Jan. 17):

winpercent0117.jpg&key=59e47a3b70b75d8f32ea2e4fac1a18dc9fe8c7c3f028575eb43c7a7b31bef3eb

Lol. That sums up how I feel about road games.

40 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

How big is Wednesday’s game at Penn State? If you put any stock into KenPom’s win probabilities, it’s enormous. Here’s a look at Indiana’s remaining Big Ten road games with Pomeroy’s chances of an Indiana win (as of Tuesday, Jan. 17):

winpercent0117.jpg

Did you compile this or is it available somewhere... I am interested to see our Home Games win chance?

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This game feels like a turning point game for me. If we win, we get things back on track. If we lose, the rest of the season is a free fall. 

I was thinking about this the other day and somewhat feeling the same way....

Then I realized I am using a game at Penn State as a barometer for our season and got really dis-heartened... I understand Penn State is no Delaware St. and it is on the road, but still "It's Indiana, It's Indiana"

Just now, Str8Hoosiers said:

I was thinking about this the other day and somewhat feeling the same way....

Then I realized I am using a game at Penn State as a barometer for our season and got really depressed... I understand Penn State is no Delaware St. and it is on the road, but still "It's Indiana, It's Indiana"

For real though lol, sad to see how things have unfolded. I'm seeing it as a road game against an inferior team that we should beat by 10+, but have struggled with in recent years. How the game goes should show us what this team is made of. If we lose I think it'll wreck our team's confidence, which would be deadly with who we have left on the schedule.   

With the state of the conference this year, I feel we can only afford to lose a couple of more games.  That's it!

If we aren't in the top 4 of the conference, it's going to be the year of the B1G in NIT.  Which is really freaking sad.

Iu could finish 9-9 in the B1G and they would still make the tourney. No one on the bubble will have 2 top 10 rpi wins. They have to pick 32 at large teams. Bubble teams all show they have flaws and show they can lose games what separates bubble teams is who has shown they can win. Syracuse started last year 0-4 in conference and lost their last 5of 6 games and got a 10 seed then went to the final 4. They were 19-13 going in. The state of the conference is there is no dominating team but has a lot of teams that are close together but more importantly have strong rpi's (which everyone knows is highly used by selection committee. 8 of 14 teams in rpi top 50 and 4 others in the top 100. 12 of 14 teams in the rpi top 100.