Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

30 minutes ago, mamasa said:

What's everyone's take on Wommack?  I truly don't know enough about the coaches to form an opinion

Not a good move in my opinion. Allen seems to be quite a control freak and doesn't surround himself with anyone outside his inner circle who would have fresh ideas. He only wants guys he's worked with in the past. This doesn't help with recruiting, this doesn't bring talent to the coaching room. It's a status quo shell game and a huge gamble. 

He was the youngest DC in college football a few years back. His South Alabama team had basically the same defensive improvement that IU did when they first brought Allen in. I think it's a good move since it will allow Allen to focus on managing other aspects of the team and not on scheming and calling defensive plays during games. Now I'm still waiting to see if DeBord "retires" and who his replacement may be.

32 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Not a good move in my opinion. Allen seems to be quite a control freak and doesn't surround himself with anyone outside his inner circle who would have fresh ideas. He only wants guys he's worked with in the past. This doesn't help with recruiting, this doesn't bring talent to the coaching room. It's a status quo shell game and a huge gamble. 

How doesn’t this help with recruiting? Womack is one of the most highly thought of coaches on the staff when it comes to recruiting. He was the one that went down and convinced James Miller to come up to IU. He was head recruiter of Cam Williams. He got one of most athletic linebackers I’ve seen committ to IU in this signing class in Kervens. He helped improve a lowly defense I. South Alabama. So what if he has ties to Tom Allen from the past. Most head coaches hire from within their circle and guys that they trust or have a good relationship with. And nowadays you can’t just run a 4-3 or change the philosophy. You have to cover against spread offenses. 

4 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

How doesn’t this help with recruiting? Womack is one of the most highly thought of coaches on the staff when it comes to recruiting. He was the one that went down and convinced James Miller to come up to IU. He was head recruiter of Cam Williams. He got one of most athletic linebackers I’ve seen committ to IU in this signing class in Kervens. He helped improve a lowly defense I. South Alabama. So what if he has ties to Tom Allen from the past. Most head coaches hire from within their circle and guys that they trust or have a good relationship with. And nowadays you can’t just run a 4-3 or change the philosophy. You have to cover against spread offenses. 

He's already on the staff. Why would promoting a guy who's already doing your recruiting for you help get new/better recruits? Bringing in a guy who has national credibility and recruiting ties increases the pipeline and adds another body who would have bandwidth to hit the road and get in front of kids we may not otherwise have the ability to recruit. It's not like Womack was getting job offers from other programs. Being one of the most thought of coaches on this staff??? I'm sure there's an ESPY for that.

Thanks lucel for trying to provide intelligent insight.

Im not worried about the defensive side of the ball - I think this is a good promotion to continue doing what we’re doing and remove distractions from Allen. Still want to see a change at OC.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

55 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

To see him and the rest at a different school and IU actually spend some time and money hiring a decent coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Allen for a while. He seems to be doing a good job recruiting by IU standards. He deserves credit for that. But, he's lacking as a head coach. His teams are very undisciplined. He makes a lot of coaching errors. As long as we're recruiting in the bottom half of the B1G we can't afford to be an undisciplined and poorly coached football team. All we can really do is sit back and hope he can improve as a coach. 

Has anyone heard anything about WR DaQuon Green? He announced he was transferring from Florida soon after they played their bowl game. He was a 4-star WR coming out of the same high school in Florida as Penix where they played together. I have seen some rumblings on twitter that he may be considering IU. Would definitely be another good addition to the team and lessen the blow of losing out (more than likely) on Bell.

2 hours ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

Has anyone heard anything about WR DaQuon Green? He announced he was transferring from Florida soon after they played their bowl game. He was a 4-star WR coming out of the same high school in Florida as Penix where they played together. I have seen some rumblings on twitter that he may be considering IU. Would definitely be another good addition to the team and lessen the blow of losing out (more than likely) on Bell.

This is true. There is mutual interest from staff. Right now we are his only school

19 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Is he waiting on an OC announcement?  I'm assuming he'll have to sit a year?

Nope he’s already turned in transcripts and everything. Just waiting to hear back from the school is what I’ve heard. And I believe he could be eligible immediately...given how transfers have panned out the past year and how many kids were granted immediate eligibility citing coaching changes or stuff like that 

22 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Is he waiting on an OC announcement?  I'm assuming he'll have to sit a year?

I wanted to also say as of right now if he gets into IU....yes you are correct he has to sit a year.....my initial comment or first quote was it wouldn’t surprise me if he isn’t sitting come first game. Whether he plays. I’d say he has a higher than 50/50 chance to get waiver or appeal heard.