Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

Zach's article in the Indy Star really demonstrates how ridiculous the larger programs get preference. OSU already has Fields transfer approved even though their request came in much later than IU & Tuttle. That to me is sickening. 

So Kansas is getting Rick Ross to perform at their spring game. Kansas, one of the worst football programs in the country. This is the kind of thing IU athletics needs to do. We don't have the "cool" factor that recruits like. 

http://m.kusports.com/news/2019/apr/05/rick-ross-officially-set-perform-ku-footballs-spri/?templates=mobile

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So Kansas is getting Rick Ross to perform at their spring game. Kansas, one of the worst football programs in the country. This is the kind of thing IU athletics needs to do. We don't have the "cool" factor that recruits like. 

http://m.kusports.com/news/2019/apr/05/rick-ross-officially-set-perform-ku-footballs-spri/?templates=mobile

Getting a guy to perform that's been on probation for kidnapping, aggravated assault,  and possession is a "cool" factor? 

32 minutes ago, jk34 said:

Getting a guy to perform that's been on probation for kidnapping, aggravated assault,  and possession is a "cool" factor? 

He's coming to the school to perform, not give life advice to the football team. College kids don't care about his legal issues, they just like his music. And my comment was more about the larger movement by some schools to modernize college athletics and bring them in line with modern day culture, a movement that IU is lagging way behind in. 

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He's coming to the school to perform, not give life advice to the football team. College kids don't care about his legal issues, they just like his music. And my comment was more about the larger movement by some schools to modernize college athletics and bring them in line with modern day culture, a movement that IU is lagging way behind in. 

Tom Allen has a cool factor. That's why his recruiting has been so solid. 

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Tom Allen has a cool factor. That's why his recruiting has been so solid. 

Idk, maybe the players think he's cool. I'm not around him on a day-to-day basis. He seems goofy to me though based on some of the things he's done. Kinda like Crean. And his recruiting, while solid by IU standards, is still towards the bottom of the Big 10.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk, maybe the players think he's cool. I'm not around him on a day-to-day basis. He seems goofy to me though based on some of the things he's done. Kinda like Crean. And his recruiting, while solid by IU standards, is still towards the bottom of the Big 10.

We can't control how well other teams recruit. We signed our best class ever. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

We can't control how well other teams recruit. We signed our best class ever. 

We can't control how other teams recruit, but signing our best class ever won't matter much if all the schools we play against signed better classes than we did. Improving relative to ourselves isn't as important as improving relative to the schools we compete against. 

But a lot of teams with good coaching play above their rankings.  If the gap between our classes and other Big Ten classes are marginal, then we should be able to go close to .500 in conference play.  If we take care of business in the non-conference, then that would be a very good next step.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We can't control how other teams recruit, but signing our best class ever won't matter much if all the schools we play against signed better classes than we did. Improving relative to ourselves isn't as important as improving relative to the schools we compete against. 

No it's important to improve ourselves before anything else. The gap until now has been huge, it's not now. 

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

But a lot of teams with good coaching play above their rankings.

Oh for sure, but the jury is still out on whether Allen is a good coach. I'm pretty low on him, but I want to see how we look with the new OC before making a judgment. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No it's important to improve ourselves before anything else. The gap until now has been huge, it's not now. 

In what ways has Allen closed the gap? The big improvements came under Wilson's leadership. Allen took a team coming off back-to-back bowl games and led us to 5-7 records the past two years.  People point to our division as the big reason for our struggles, but as @IUgradman pointed out, we don't beat the B1G West teams either. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

In what ways has Allen closed the gap? The big improvements came under Wilson's leadership. Allen took a team coming off back-to-back bowl games and led us to 5-7 records the past two years.  People point to our division as the big reason for our struggles, but as @IUgradman pointed out, we don't beat the B1G West teams either. 

We dont get as many swings at Big Ten West teams as the teams that are in the west. 

And obviously he's closed the gap in the recruiting? By a lot. 

And as sad as this is to say.. back to back 5-7 isnt all that bad for IU standards. 

Regardless... he signed our best class ever, its irrelevant what the other teams are doing because he's closed the gap to them. Before we were like last in the conference and ranked like 60th.. this past year were 36th and like 8th overall. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We dont get as many swings at Big Ten West teams as the teams that are in the west. 

And obviously he's closed the gap in the recruiting? By a lot. 

And as sad as this is to say.. back to back 5-7 isnt all that bad for IU standards. 

Regardless... he signed our best class ever, its irrelevant what the other teams are doing because he's closed the gap to them. Before we were like last in the conference and ranked like 60th.. this past year were 36th and like 8th overall. 

If he's recruiting better classes than Wilson did, but getting worse results on the field, why should I be confident in him as our coach moving forward? 

If he's recruiting better classes than Wilson did, but getting worse results on the field, why should I be confident in him as our coach moving forward? 

I am pretty indifferent on him, but it’s hard to say or point to results of his recruits yet. His classes will be four year classes. I would be shocked if his teams are that much better after two. Coming up this year and next that’s when they should have shown improvement. Plus the continued consistency in recruiting will mean something too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I am pretty indifferent on him, but it’s hard to say or point to results of his recruits yet. His classes will be four year classes. I would be shocked if his teams are that much better after two. Coming up this year and next that’s when they should have shown improvement. Plus the continued consistency in recruiting will mean something too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We've seen other coaches come in and make immediate turnarounds. I hate to keep going back to Purdue, but we saw what Brohm has done in two years. They beat the brakes off of Ohio State last year. I'd kill for us to do that just once.

i hope that Allen can have success here. He seems like a good man. A much better ambassador for the university than Wilson. This year will tell us a lot about him, imo.