Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Do they care though?  

Care about what? There is enough equipment in there, and it is large enough to have multiple teams in there at once, comfortably, so that everyone can be using the same equipment. They have had other power five schools come in to check out the layout of it and the football complex. Good planning/smart allocation of resources is not a negative. And again, if football chooses to kick other sports out when they want to lift, they can. It’s their weight room. But that’s never an issue, because of the size and good scheduling. This is making up an issue that doesn’t exist.

This is like complaining about how they’re going to also use the new training table/dining hall as a club area on game days. That’s a good use of resources. For a school that doesn’t have the amount of cash like an Ohio State or Alabama, that’s a really good idea.

1 minute ago, RBB89 said:

No it doesn’t, and no one gets in the way. It has enough equipment for multiple teams to use it at once, and football can kick them out if they choose too. It’s their weight room.

That's what I figured. From everything that I've heard IU has great facilities for their athletes. The other sports benefit from having all this equipment, and it doesn't negatively affect the football team. Everyone wins. It would be one thing if the weight room/equipment was old and run down, but that's not the case here. Recruits aren't going to pick another school over IU just because other teams use the same weight room.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That's what I figured. From everything that I've heard IU has great facilities for their athletes. The other sports benefit from having all this equipment, and it doesn't negatively affect the football team. Everyone wins. It would be one thing if the weight room/equipment was old and run down, but that's not the case here. Recruits aren't going to pick another school over IU just because other teams use the same weight room.

Yep. And the fact that everything is pretty much centrally located, especially for football, is a really nice recruiting pitch. But even baseball, softball, wrestling, volleyball, field hockey, soccer, etc. can show recruits around the stadium complex, because that’s where everything they could possibly need will be. And their playing facilities are not far away from there. There are a lot of nice facilities at a lot of schools, but many times various training/academic facilities are very spread out all over the place.

2018 Cream & Crimson Game Details
Apr. 05, 2018 Football

Indiana University Football
2018 Cream & Crimson Spring Game
Saturday, April 14 • Memorial Stadium

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The 2018 Indiana Football Cream & Crimson Game will take place on Saturday, April 14 at noon. This year's game will be broadcasted LIVE on BTN2Go and will be re-aired on the Big Ten Network at 10 a.m. the next day, April 15.

Due to the Hoosier Half Marathon and IU Dance Marathon FTK 5K Run,fans in attendance should primarily enter from Bypass (Gates 10 and 11), but can access stadium lots from Fee Lane (Gate 12) or Dunn St. (Gates 8 and 9) closer to kickoff. 

Below is a breakdown of activities on April 14:

Hoosier Half Marathon and IU Dance Marathon FTK 5K Run - 8 a.m. - Noon
Start/Finish Line at DeVault Alumni Center, 1000 E. 17th Street

Youth Football Clinic - 10 a.m.
Memorial Stadium Field

Children ages 5-12 are invited to participate in a special one-hour youth football clinic on the Memorial Stadium Field. The non-contact clinic (no helmets or pads) will feature different stations. Children participating in the clinic must have a signed waiver. Parents and guardians should bring clinic participants to the east side of Memorial Stadium for check-in beginning at 9:30 a.m.

Spring Game Tailgate Party/Fan and Kids Zone - 10:30 a.m. - Noon
Free Hot Dogs, Brats, Chips & Drinks

Free hot dogs, brats, chips and drinks will be available in the east side tailgating lot of Memorial Stadium. Additionally, inflatable games, the Old Oaken Bucket Football Toss and Selfie Stations will be available to fans. IU Football schedule posters, team rosters, and schedule cards will be distributed as well. Memorial Stadium concessions stands will also be open that evening for the game. Special behind-the-scenes tours of Memorial Stadium will be available to fans from 10:30-11:45 a.m. Henke Hall of Champions will also be open for public tours and ticket information beginning at 11 a.m.

2018 Cream & Crimson Game - Noon
Memorial Stadium

Preview the 2018 Indiana Hoosiers. Admission to the Cream & Crimson Game is free. Players will warm-up starting at approximately 11 a.m. At halftime, Head Coach Tom Allen will speak and recognize players for spring practice awards. After the game, the team will sign autographs on the field. For seating, at the game, please enter through the East side stadium gates only.

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

No, they don’t give opposing schools an easy recruiting advantage by forcing the football team to share a weight room.

If you want, I can argue that this is a recruiting advantage for a sport dominated by hypercompetitive alpha males:

"The 25,000 sqft weight room is shared by all sports, but they have to work around YOUR schedule. And if those other soft non-contact sports think they can share the space with you, you have the authority to kick them out. This is your house, and they will ask your permission to use it. Welcome to IUFB."

But you can continue to find reasons to complain if you'd like. Anyone who thinks instant gratification is a millenial thing clearing has never read fan forums. Fred Glass is building up IU to be a athletics powerhouse in the long-term, while McRobbie is leading an academic resurgence I don't think Indiana has ever experienced. I'm really proud of what the leaders of the university are accomplishing.

EDIT: Sorry mods, feel free to move to the appropriate thread if this is out of place...

20 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

@RBB89 have you heard much about Tronti? Sounds like Ramsey and Penix are the emerging leaders for the starter spot at QB. Is Reese Taylor still competing for a QB spot?

Reese isn't on campus. I am pretty sure it was decided he was starting on defense.. I still think he will return kicks or punts and get some time on offense in some gadget plays of some sort. 

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

@RBB89 have you heard much about Tronti? Sounds like Ramsey and Penix are the emerging leaders for the starter spot at QB. Is Reese Taylor still competing for a QB spot?

Tronti is definitely 3rd at the moment. He’s only going to be a RS Freshman though. Ramsey and Penix are getting most snaps, yes. Taylor will be on campus in the fall.* It appears he may start off at CB, per Matt Weaver, but they will also likely design a package for him at QB.

* It’s hard to keep track of what freshmen arrive early, since it’s happening more and more frequently!

1 hour ago, RBB89 said:

Tronti is definitely 3rd at the moment. He’s only going to be a RS Freshman though. Ramsey and Penix are getting most snaps, yes. Taylor will be on campus in the fall.* It appears he may start off at CB, per Matt Weaver, but they will also likely design a package for him at QB.

* It’s hard to keep track of what freshmen arrive early, since it’s happening more and more frequently!

Cool, thanks for the update!

3 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Transfer from western Michigan originally from ft Wayne. 3 Star kid out of H.S.  zenden dellinger 

0060A427-8C23-4EAD-A559-007E2CBFCDA6.png

Looking at his WMU page it appears that he redshirted in '17 (his only year with the club), does that mean he will be eligible this Fall or will he need to sit out the year?

http://wmubroncos.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4909

23 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Looking at his WMU page it appears that he redshirted in '17 (his only year with the club), does that mean he will be eligible this Fall or will he need to sit out the year?

http://wmubroncos.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4909

From what I’ve read he might have to sit out. But others I’ve talked to say they thought he would still be eligible to play this year

Really wish I could go to this!  If you've never been to one of these, I highly recommend it!!!  I've still got videos of the first year we went, with Shane Wynn, Sudfeld, Coleman, Latimer, etc.  My daughter has a track meet in Bloomington, she wouldn't notice if I slipped out....