Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

And finally, Tom Allen makes a decision that's not conservative and in the best interest of winning.    

I think I get your point, but they are not mutually exclusive. The conservative move is often in the best interest of winning. 

However, this being IU FB we can all agree almost anything is better than the way it's usually done and I'm definitely more excited with Penix then I would be with Ramsey. 

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm the farthest thing from a troll on this board but let's remember boys and girls this is (yawn) Indiana football you're talking about.  

As opposed to (yawn) Indiana basketball (no NCAAs since 2016)? ... LOL! 

I'm interested to see how Penix did. I thought he was pretty inaccurate in the Penn State game, but maybe he has improved on that. I was hoping to see how Ramsey looks in a different offense, but if Penix is the better quarterback then play him of course. 

I'm interested to see how Penix did. I thought he was pretty inaccurate in the Penn State game, but maybe he has improved on that. I was hoping to see how Ramsey looks in a different offense, but if Penix is the better quarterback then play him of course. 

Ramsey still can’t throw the ball more than like 15 yards. Also I believe the wind was blowing like 45 mph in the Penn State game. Good luck to anyone trying to throw in those conditions with accuracy. That’s what made his completions in that game more impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Ramsey still can’t throw the ball more than like 15 yards. Also I believe the wind was blowing like 45 mph in the Penn State game. Good luck to anyone trying to throw in those conditions with accuracy. That’s what made his completions in that game more impressive.

We've seen plenty of proof that your claim about Ramsey not being able to throw the ball more than 15 yards downfield is false, but for some reason you and others continue to repeat it. I won't waste my time trying to convince you. 

In the Penn State game, Penix went 9/19 for 94 yards. 4.9 YPA. In the same game, Ramsey went 26/36 for 236 yards. 6.6 YPA. So, only one of the two quarterbacks had trouble "throwing in those conditions with accuracy".

But, that was last year. We will see what happens this year. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I guess we were at different games, I thought Penix was the best player on the field till he got hurt against PSU. Ramsey is fine and can beat the likes of Ball State but you need someone else to try to beat UM, OSU or someone like that IMO

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Can't let this die. Read this article. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't. Take 10 mins and read it. DeBoer is a winner. He has that mindset. I'm EVEN MORE excited for IUFB than before. Thx for sharing!

Jon Blau is one of the better writers I read, in terms of actual journalism.  

4 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Winters has entered transfer portal. Unfortunate. Thought he would fight the depth....heck of an athlete can start somewhere else. Wish him nothing but the best. 

Yeah I heard he was homesick plus not going to play for a year or two. Said the campus was really big. He was only coming out of his room to go to practice. From a small school in Missouri if I'm not mistaken

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah I heard he was homesick plus not going to play for a year or two. Said the campus was really big. He was only coming out of his room to go to practice. From a small school in Missouri if I'm not mistaken

Yeah that interview was the really tell all

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I guess we were at different games, I thought Penix was the best player on the field till he got hurt against PSU. Ramsey is fine and can beat the likes of Ball State but you need someone else to try to beat UM, OSU or someone like that IMO

What made you think he was the best player on the field? The physical abilities are there, no question. He can run, and he has a strong arm. But, we've seen in the past in guys like Richard Lagow that a strong arm doesn't mean much if you can't find your receivers. In the Penn State game Penix was not an accurate quarterback. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What made you think he was the best player on the field? The physical abilities are there, no question. He can run, and he has a strong arm. But, we've seen in the past in guys like Richard Lagow that a strong arm doesn't mean much if you can't find your receivers. In the Penn State game Penix was not an accurate quarterback. 

He was so dynamic when he was on the field, he had the "it" factor. From what I was told that it was too easy for DC to game plan for Ramsey. He can't make all the throws, so defenses would take away certain routes and dare him to beat them. Can't do that with Penix. But going this route, if it doesn't work out you have an experienced backup ready to go. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He was so dynamic when he was on the field, he had the "it" factor. From what I was told that it was too easy for DC to game plan for Ramsey. He can't make all the throws, so defenses would take away certain routes and dare him to beat them. Can't do that with Penix. But going this route, if it doesn't work out you have an experienced backup ready to go. 

That's true. And, all I have to go off is what he looked like as a true freshman 10 months ago. He's had a lot of time to improve. I'm excited to see how the new OC's offense looks. 

I was told by a friend that Tuttle had also been looking really good lately. Maybe that correlates with him finally catching up to the playbook. If true, we have options if Penix were to struggle, which I'm not saying he will of course.

I’ve heard this as well. QB depth is good because Ramsey and Tuttle will probably both see time at some point whether it’s due to injury, blowout games, or other reasons.

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

One more thing, Sampson James is going to get some carries at RB. From what I have been told he is getting most of the reps behind Scott. 

Don Fischer said today James reminds him of Anthony Thompson.  That's not some guy using those words.   That's Don Fisher.  I'm excited to see that kid...because I KNOW what Cole Gest was, and he was a b*tch to bring down and absolutely brought it every play.  The RB position might be damned good.

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We've seen plenty of proof that your claim about Ramsey not being able to throw the ball more than 15 yards downfield is false, but for some reason you and others continue to repeat it. I won't waste my time trying to convince you. 

In the Penn State game, Penix went 9/19 for 94 yards. 4.9 YPA. In the same game, Ramsey went 26/36 for 236 yards. 6.6 YPA. So, only one of the two quarterbacks had trouble "throwing in those conditions with accuracy".

But, that was last year. We will see what happens this year. 

His deeper throws have a hump in them.  That's truth.  Verified to me by 2 different media members who attended practice within the last 2 weeks.   He was last in the NCAA top 50 in YPA last season.  You aren't last in that category (with plenty of yards) unless your specialty is short throws w YAC.  There is NO proof that Ramsey can make the longer throws with consistency.   Love you...but disagree on this topic and have for 2 years.   

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with this (and Old Friend's statement above).  I certainly am hoping we do not see Ramsey get any kind of regular time behind center this year.  He floats throws of any length and for that is supposed to hurt opponents with his legs, he certainly doesn't put up much yardage on the ground.  He's probably better served being a gimmick guy whom you occasionally move around at different spots but doesn't get a bulk of time.....kind of what we tried to do with Reece Taylor.

I'm hoping that if Penix doesn't work we go with Tuttle.  

25 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

His deeper throws have a hump in them.  That's truth.  Verified to me by 2 different media members who attended practice within the last 2 weeks.   He was last in the NCAA top 50 in YPA last season.  You aren't last in that category (with plenty of yards) unless your specialty is short throws w YAC.  There is NO proof that Ramsey can make the longer throws with consistency.   Love you...but disagree on this topic and have for 2 years.   

I know we disagree on this, but I still think the issue last year was, at least partially, with the conservative play-calling. I was hoping to see Ramsey with a different OC to see if he could handle consistently throwing the ball downfield. 

But, I just want IU to win, so if Penix gives us the best chance then I'm on board.