Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

6 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

I haven’t followed much IUFB offseason news. What’s the QB situation looking like at this point? Is Ramsey the likely #1 going into the season? Has there been an update on Penix’s knee? How’s Tuttle looked?

Penix is full go. Ramsey is returning starter. Tuttle has looked good and rusty  at times as he had to sit out end of spring and I believe most of may and June due to undisclosed illness. I’d say it was mono. As he did look skinnier but looks good now. It is a QB competition and there is no timeline set for a starter to be named. My guess is Ramsey gets start for ball state and other guys get rotation. All three had a good day today from interviews and what I heard from my cousin. 

Athlon: Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2019

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

What other coaches had to say about the Hoosiers:

"You hate playing this team. They're always competitive; they're always fighting back and staying in games even when they're down."

"They've been decent offensively, and they can scare you with their tempo if your guys aren't locked in."

"They've got some nice young backs and a quarterback (Peyton Ramsey) that can really give them a chance. They're changing OCs, and the guy from Fresno (Kalen DeBoer) should change some things up."

"They've had trouble finding the right QB to build a program around. A lot of us thought the other QB, Michael Penix Jr., could be that guy, but he tore his ACL. He was probably their best talent at the position."

"Defensively they're giving up too many points. They're bad against big plays; you can take the top off on them. The line loses a lot. It's going be a tough year for Tom Allen, but he's sort of a magician at finding good defenses with bad rosters."

"Being in the Big Ten East doesn't help them at all when you're trying to build from scratch. It's why they've been stuck right at five wins."

"Allen is highly respected and really well connected in the state. He's doing a great job recruiting in state, even against Purdue, who really has it going. And it's not an easy place to recruit top-level guys to. It's just not a program with an identity when you get outside of that state. It's a basketball school."

On 8/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, ThompsonHoosier said:

Athlon: Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2019

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

What other coaches had to say about the Hoosiers:

"You hate playing this team. They're always competitive; they're always fighting back and staying in games even when they're down."

"They've been decent offensively, and they can scare you with their tempo if your guys aren't locked in."

"They've got some nice young backs and a quarterback (Peyton Ramsey) that can really give them a chance. They're changing OCs, and the guy from Fresno (Kalen DeBoer) should change some things up."

"They've had trouble finding the right QB to build a program around. A lot of us thought the other QB, Michael Penix Jr., could be that guy, but he tore his ACL. He was probably their best talent at the position."

"Defensively they're giving up too many points. They're bad against big plays; you can take the top off on them. The line loses a lot. It's going be a tough year for Tom Allen, but he's sort of a magician at finding good defenses with bad rosters."

"Being in the Big Ten East doesn't help them at all when you're trying to build from scratch. It's why they've been stuck right at five wins."

"Allen is highly respected and really well connected in the state. He's doing a great job recruiting in state, even against Purdue, who really has it going. And it's not an easy place to recruit top-level guys to. It's just not a program with an identity when you get outside of that state. It's a basketball school."

That pretty well sums it up except the one who thinks Ramsey's the one who can "really give them a chance."  He probably wants Ramsey to start.  =)

The Big Ten needs to do something about the divisions.  Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers have the toughest climb in sports, and it's not close.   For now, 6 wins is about all any reasonable fan can expect.  Sad that Purdue can expect 8 with the same talent.

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

That pretty well sums it up except the one who thinks Ramsey's the one who can "really give them a chance."  He probably wants Ramsey to start.  =)

The Big Ten needs to do something about the divisions.  Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers have the toughest climb in sports, and it's not close.   For now, 6 wins is about all any reasonable fan can expect.  Sad that Purdue can expect 8 with the same talent.

That coach was me ;)

Smh are we even trying to compete?? Let’s face it, we will never be a competitive program until we AT LEAST have lockers with ipads and literal beds in them! Come on Fred, you’re getting embarrassed out here by the schools that actually care!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’d want Ramsey to start too. He can’t throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field and makes game planning really easy for them lol

32 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Anyone who doesn't think IU went all out on these locker rooms, please take time to go see them. They are amazing, the pictures do not do them justice. You do not have to be an IU employee, or alumni or anything, just ask someone in the football office or one of the coaches and they will be happy to let you see them. Simply put this is one thing that you can't be disappointed with Fred Glass about. He and Tom Allen did really well with this, also a big thanks to Terry Tallen for the money. 

That sounds like a challenge that some here will accept!

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

I’d want Ramsey to start too. He can’t throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field and makes game planning really easy for them lol

Exactly. =)    Until he shows the ability to get it down the field consistently, he can't get it down the field consistently.  

He had a high completion %, but one of the lowest YPA in the top 50 in that category.  He is a .500 quarterback at best.  5-7 looks like his ceiling until it's not.   He is the safe, conservative play.

hopefully he is wrong but there wasn't any substance to why he thought they didn't look very good.

He took 588 words to say "I have only seen  2 hours of 1 practice and they don't look good enough to win 3 Big Ten games and go bowling."  I summed it up in 24 words.  Must be a slow day.

5 hours ago, HoosierRobbie said:

Kent sterling isn’t impressed the the IU football team.. http://kentsterling.com/2019/08/14/after-watching-one-iufb-practice-im-not-as-hopeful-as-i-would-like-and-im-an-optimist/

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If I’m correct......the practice he attended wasn’t full go to the ground and there were many players taking a recover day cross training basically after the scrimmage. This is just a hit piece and click bait for him because he didn’t see anything from his 2 hour skelly practice and needed to put something out, that’s my opinion. I typically like Kent and what he does, but he added no substance to what he saw or watched.....that’s one of the worst things I’ve read.  And if anyone’s been following any other writers who have been to more than just 1 practice, they are liking what they are seeing, depth, talent, speed, and strength. It’s also not a 3 man race. It’s down to Penix and Ramsey. If you’ve listened to deboer recently aka yesterday’s interview.....he references both meaning two and a reporter asked him about it....he had to back track a little. Lol. At the scrimmage on Saturday it was basically Penix and Tuttle with 1’s and 2’s 

22 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Sorry, so Tuttle isn’t cutting it?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Didn’t say that at all. Just because he’s third right now doesn’t mean he can’t grow into his potential. I just know Penix and Ramsey have been very sharp. Very very sharp compared to tuttle. This is an actual competition. Tuttle wasn’t promised anything at IU. He’s known it was going to be a competition from the start. He’s shown some flashes here and there but he hasn’t been consistent like the other two from what I’ve heard. 

3 hours ago, lucel15 said:

If I’m correct......the practice he attended wasn’t full go to the ground and there were many players taking a recover day cross training basically after the scrimmage. This is just a hit piece and click bait for him because he didn’t see anything from his 2 hour skelly practice and needed to put something out, that’s my opinion. I typically like Kent and what he does, but he added no substance to what he saw or watched.....that’s one of the worst things I’ve read.  And if anyone’s been following any other writers who have been to more than just 1 practice, they are liking what they are seeing, depth, talent, speed, and strength. It’s also not a 3 man race. It’s down to Penix and Ramsey. If you’ve listened to deboer recently aka yesterday’s interview.....he references both meaning two and a reporter asked him about it....he had to back track a little. Lol. At the scrimmage on Saturday it was basically Penix and Tuttle with 1’s and 2’s 

I was expecting him to delve deeper into why he was so disappointed but his only reasoning was because we haven't chosen a starting QB yet.....which everyone knows. Yeah that article was a pile of steaming crap only intended for clicks.