Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

20 minutes ago, mamasa said:

What's everyone's take on Wommack?  I truly don't know enough about the coaches to form an opinion

Good move imo, you figured that move would be coming given his background of running and working in a 4-2-5 defense and his relationship with CTA.  Young guy who so far has proven his worth, not just at IU but was already a DC somewhere else. It’s a good move because this scheme is what he’s basically known his whole career. I don’t think this ruffles hagena feather at all....and I’m sure Hagen will get a bump in pay to just say hey stay we appreciate you. 

30 minutes ago, mamasa said:

What's everyone's take on Wommack?  I truly don't know enough about the coaches to form an opinion

Not a good move in my opinion. Allen seems to be quite a control freak and doesn't surround himself with anyone outside his inner circle who would have fresh ideas. He only wants guys he's worked with in the past. This doesn't help with recruiting, this doesn't bring talent to the coaching room. It's a status quo shell game and a huge gamble. 

He was the youngest DC in college football a few years back. His South Alabama team had basically the same defensive improvement that IU did when they first brought Allen in. I think it's a good move since it will allow Allen to focus on managing other aspects of the team and not on scheming and calling defensive plays during games. Now I'm still waiting to see if DeBord "retires" and who his replacement may be.

32 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Not a good move in my opinion. Allen seems to be quite a control freak and doesn't surround himself with anyone outside his inner circle who would have fresh ideas. He only wants guys he's worked with in the past. This doesn't help with recruiting, this doesn't bring talent to the coaching room. It's a status quo shell game and a huge gamble. 

How doesn’t this help with recruiting? Womack is one of the most highly thought of coaches on the staff when it comes to recruiting. He was the one that went down and convinced James Miller to come up to IU. He was head recruiter of Cam Williams. He got one of most athletic linebackers I’ve seen committ to IU in this signing class in Kervens. He helped improve a lowly defense I. South Alabama. So what if he has ties to Tom Allen from the past. Most head coaches hire from within their circle and guys that they trust or have a good relationship with. And nowadays you can’t just run a 4-3 or change the philosophy. You have to cover against spread offenses. 

4 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

How doesn’t this help with recruiting? Womack is one of the most highly thought of coaches on the staff when it comes to recruiting. He was the one that went down and convinced James Miller to come up to IU. He was head recruiter of Cam Williams. He got one of most athletic linebackers I’ve seen committ to IU in this signing class in Kervens. He helped improve a lowly defense I. South Alabama. So what if he has ties to Tom Allen from the past. Most head coaches hire from within their circle and guys that they trust or have a good relationship with. And nowadays you can’t just run a 4-3 or change the philosophy. You have to cover against spread offenses. 

He's already on the staff. Why would promoting a guy who's already doing your recruiting for you help get new/better recruits? Bringing in a guy who has national credibility and recruiting ties increases the pipeline and adds another body who would have bandwidth to hit the road and get in front of kids we may not otherwise have the ability to recruit. It's not like Womack was getting job offers from other programs. Being one of the most thought of coaches on this staff??? I'm sure there's an ESPY for that.

Thanks lucel for trying to provide intelligent insight.

Im not worried about the defensive side of the ball - I think this is a good promotion to continue doing what we’re doing and remove distractions from Allen. Still want to see a change at OC.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners