Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

21 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Nile Sykes is out for the season. Big blow to our pass rush. Brandon Knight is limited but will be back sometime in camp.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Anyone know who is likely to step in? I know we returned 9 of the 11 starters outside of Oliver and a DL. I guess this now makes 8 of 11. If there is any weakness now it has to be on the line with losing two guys. 

59 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Anyone know who is likely to step in? I know we returned 9 of the 11 starters outside of Oliver and a DL. I guess this now makes 8 of 11. If there is any weakness now it has to be on the line with losing two guys. 

Covington should be the other linebacker starting next to Scales. Greg Gooch and probably Omari Stringer will be the main pass rushers.

9 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

Covington should be the other linebacker starting next to Scales. Greg Gooch and probably Omari Stringer will be the main pass rushers.

Thanks! Allen had a lot of praise for Covington. Man that's a scary LB corps if he improved a lot when you consider Scales and Ball. Also, I just read he mentioned Dameon Willis as someone needing to step up to provide depth on the LB front. 

Sykes didn't start

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2017

“It’s always a hard place to win and has been for 50 years."

"Kevin Wilson didn’t work with the culture, and that got him in the end."

"Tom Allen can do what Indiana needs to win because he’s more like Bill Mallory than any coach that’s been there since. He’s worked in the state before, and he gets it — because you have to really ‘get’ Indiana to be successful. He’s got the character Wilson didn’t have to manage the Indiana people and get players to trust you."

"Wilson sold his offense to try and get better talent in there. Besides Ohio State, we didn’t see an offense that had the kind of ceiling Indiana’s did. Mike DeBord runs something that’s as appealing as Wilson’s offense when it comes to recruits. DeBord is so efficient as a coordinator. His offenses show so much confidence and great timing on film. It was a great hire for Allen."

"Defensively, they’re going to be even better. Allen was a great coordinator before he got the head job. We looked at his defense at USF last offseason against particular passing attacks. Indiana was better coached on defense, finding fits, making tackles, than we’d seen in years. We saw them identify things we wanted to do pre-snap.”

Kirk Herbstreit calling the IU/OSU game:

Herbstreit will have a particularly busy start to the season, working three game broadcasts over five days -- Ohio State-Indiana (Aug. 31 in Bloomington, Ind.), Alabama-Florida State and finally Georgia Tech-Tennessee (Sept. 4 in Mercedes-Benz Stadium) -- in addition to his College GameDay role. It’ll be his first such stretch.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/espn-college-gameday-coming-atlanta/0ZSWidIEPyUJADwW9vMw9M/

He will be paired with play by play man Dave Flemming. They are rotating analysts for the Thursday night game this year.

Outside of QB, what position are people most interested/concerned with heading into the season? I think it's safe to say the linebacker and secondary cores are pretty strong. Would also seem the starting WR's are as well along with special teams. I would say OL and DL seem to have the most questions. Thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Outside of QB, what position are people most interested/concerned with heading into the season? I think it's safe to say the linebacker and secondary cores are pretty strong. Would also seem the starting WR's are as well along with special teams. I would say OL and DL seem to have the most questions. Thoughts? 

RB for me because it's such an unknown. I think we'll ultimately be fine, but until we see them in action I'm concerned.