Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

Okay well then go ahead and expect that lol again this is a message board and I'm discussing my thoughts for this upcoming season. Just like you are. I'm just going off of what coaches are saying he's done and everything I've read about what he's done to improve from his not so stellar first year at IU.....

I wish this to be true

But hey at least people have been talking about IU football on here, two-three years ago it was hit or miss.  Lately it's been intriguing and captivating and can only see that going up with Tom Allen as he had me to the point where I wanted to go run through a wall after his press conference

50-26-10 time to breakthrough  

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I wish this to be true emoji3.png

24 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

People want the best QB out there on the field. What's wrong with that? 

^^This^^ As I mentioned, this defense is special and if RL struggles out of the gate you can't afford to let him play out the season while you hope he corrects his mistakes. He's a senior. Have to see what else you have. I hope he does well. Same goes for other guys on offense as well.

33 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

I'm not saying anything is wrong with that. Where have I said that I don't want the best QB out there?! Two pages ago I said practice and scrimmages will tell. There won't be a tie. From what I hear Lagow is still number one. That could change day one of camp....which I'm fine with. I get the criticism. And I'm not the only one who has said this but it seems like a lot of people put the offensive woes onto this kid who really had a lot of hype out of juco. Yeah okay there were some let downs, but again as others have said WRs dropped the ball, Wilsons play calling was asinine at sometimes and he def didn't have the run support like we all thought he would have last year. If Ramsey is better than Lagow then I'm all for it, but to say eh he was very inconsistent last year and made bone headed decisions....thats going to be a given. I'm excited for a QB battle we had no comp last year really and I loved what Zander brought mentally he just did not have the consistency....even tho I think when he threw the ball last year...he did impress me. I guess I should write something like why are we all so adamant on writing Lagow off after a single season aka first true D1 season. 

You're questioning why people might want him benched. Seems pretty obvious to me. If he's struggling it makes perfect sense to get him out of the game. Nobody is rooting for the kid to fail (or at least nobody on this thread), but if he looks the same this coming season as he did last season it's time to bring in Ramsey or someone who can keep the offense on the field. I've said multiple times in here that I hope he turns it around, that would be awesome.

With this said, I fully expect Lagow to be the starter when the year starts and to look improved. It looks like he's truly been trying to improve and I believe having a full offseason to learn the offense will be beneficial. He also seems to take criticism well and not let it get to him and alter his confidence which is a very good attribute to have as a quarterback. But, I still think with this offense, Ramsey would be the better fit. I just think having a quarterback who can run and throw is so valuable in college football and from what we've seen from Ramsey, he can do that. Especially since we're moving away from a bombs away offense and more towards a run first, Lagow's arm strength becomes less valuable for this offense. I don't know how many times they ran a read option last year and Lagow had a wide open lane because they knew he wasn't going to run it so they just focused on the running back. However, I think it will take a complete meltdown from Lagow for him to lose the starting spot.
I'm very excited about Morgan Ellison. Whether it be this year or in years to come, I think he's going to be a huge factor in our run game.
Lastly, I think one of our biggest assets on our offense that no one is talking about is Ian Thomas. DeBord likes to utilize the tight end in the passing game and Thomas is looking good this offseason.

It doesn't matter who's in the backfield without a line pass and run blocking.  Last year the backs had to deal with front five injuries that were a huge blow to the offense. (Feeney missing 4 games due to concussion was devastating.)  Some of Lagow's throws were indeed his fault and down right awful but the reason he was throwing in the first place was due to not having an efficient running game.  It was night and day once Feeney was cleared to play again.  A running game is crucial for a guy like Lagow.  Just my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

It doesn't matter who's in the backfield without a line pass and run blocking.  Last year the backs had to deal with front five injuries that were a huge blow to the offense. (Feeney missing 4 games due to concussion was devastating.)  Some of Lagow's throws were indeed his fault and down right awful but the reason he was throwing in the first place was due to not having an efficient running game.  It was night and day once Feeney was cleared to play again.  A running game is crucial for a guy like Lagow.  Just my opinion.  

Is our line this year projected to be good or worse than last year? 

38 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's hard to replace a Dan Feeney, but they should be solid this year. There is size and depth, although the depth is pretty inexperienced. I'm not worried about the starters at all.

22 hours ago, lucel15 said:

Quick question. Where's everyone's season tickets if you have them.  I'm section 8 not best row since I waited so long (thanks to remodeling of house). 

Section 9

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's hard to say.  Coach DeBord will more than likely call a different offense philosophically.  Dan Feeney (NFL LAC) was last year's leader, and rightfully so. Dimitric Camiel (NFL Houston) is gone.   Jacob Bailey is gone.  That's a big chunk of experience and leadership missing for this year.  What is promising is what RBB89 mentioned.  They have Knight (Jr.) and Cronk (So.) with experience at the tackle spots.  Which will help a lot.  The remaining projected starters are Simon Stepaniak (RS-So.) at the RG spot with 12 games played under his belt, Wes Martin (RS-Jr.) LG 13 starts under his belt, and Hunter Littlejohn (RS-So.) at C with only 1 game played last year.  They'll be young.  

If you look at how DeBord called the Tennessee offense last year and what Coach Allen wants they'll probably be a little more run heavy this year.  

Edited by Lebowski

I don't think our team will be as flashy offensively as it has been in recent years, but overall, it ought to be more balanced and solid, top to bottom. Can't wait to see how things develop with DeBord and with Allen calling the shots now. If nothing else, there should be fewer stupid gambles taken during the game.

It's hard to say.  Coach DeBord will more than likely call a different offense philosophically.  Dan Feeney (NFL LAC) was last year's leader, and rightfully so. Dimitric Camiel (NFL Houston) is gone.   Jacob Bailey is gone.  That's a big chunk of experience and leadership missing for this year.  What is promising is what RBB89 mentioned.  They have Knight (Jr.) and Cronk (So.) with experience at the tackle spots.  Which will help a lot.  The remaining projected starters are Simon Stepaniak (RS-So.) at the RG spot with 12 games played under his belt, Wes Martin (RS-Jr.) LG 13 starts under his belt, and Hunter Littlejohn (RS-So.) at C with only 1 game played last year.  They'll be young.  
If you look at how DeBord called the Tennessee offense last year and what Coach Allen wants they'll probably be a little more run heavy this year.  

Hmm I do know that UTs running game basically revolved around Dobbs who was an absolute stud athlete.

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hmm I do know that UTs running game basically revolved around Dobbs who was an absolute stud athlete.

Indeed.  He was/is.  Dobbs rushed for 831 yards and almost threw 3k yards last year!   I could be completely wrong but from what I understand Coach Allen wants an offense run by a dual-threat QB.  And Coach DeBord is a perfect hire for what he wants.  Also, Ramsey and Tronti fit this philosophy much more than Lagow.  It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Indeed.  He was/is.  Dobbs rushed for 831 yards and almost threw 3k yards last year!   I could be completely wrong but from what I understand Coach Allen wants an offense run by a dual-threat QB.  And Coach DeBord is a perfect hire for what he wants.  Also, Ramsey and Tronti fit this philosophy much more than Lagow.  It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

I agree. I just meant idk about the "run heaviness" if Lagow starts. BUT he isn't a horrible runner either. He could run the zone read 2-3 times a game and keep it 1-2 times to keep ppl honest. Idk if you all remember, but we ran a zone read on 3rd and goal in the FIU game last year and scored. Didn't come back to it much last year with RL though.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:19 PM, btownqb said:

I agree. I just meant idk about the "run heaviness" if Lagow starts. BUT he isn't a horrible runner either. He could run the zone read 2-3 times a game and keep it 1-2 times to keep ppl honest. Idk if you all remember, but we ran a zone read on 3rd and goal in the FIU game last year and scored. Didn't come back to it much last year with RL though.

I wouldn't say he's a good runner either so maybe somewhere in between. I want to root for this kid but I just didn't see it last year. I guess you can't teach arm strength but he seemed to lack a lot of the skills you like to see in a QB (pocket awareness and feeling the pressure, decision making, seeing the play before it develops). It should make for an interesting fall camp and given the new OC and coach it wouldn't surprise me if IU goes in another direction IF one of the other QB's shines. Otherwise, Lagow definitely gets the first crack. 

Edited by TXHoosierDaddy