Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

Who is our best player?

I have to go with Blackmon.  He's the only guy able to step and be our leader.  It's not easy to know you're supposed to be the best scorer, and then also live up to that.  Thomas planned on doing it this year, but he's kinda wilted under the expectations.  OG is awesome, but he doesn't take over games.  I see JBJ as a force multiplier of sorts, where teams have to devote an inordinate amount of attention to him, thereby helping the rest of the guys score as well.

I am fully aware of the criticisms of JBJ's defense.  I'll never understand why IU "fans" get so rabid in their hatred of a guy on the team.  I see JBJ as the team's leader and best player.

I have to go with Blackmon.  He's the only guy able to step and be our leader.  It's not easy to know you're supposed to be the best scorer, and then also live up to that.  Thomas planned on doing it this year, but he's kinda wilted under the expectations.  OG is awesome, but he doesn't take over games.  I see JBJ as a force multiplier of sorts, where teams have to devote an inordinate amount of attention to him, thereby helping the rest of the guys score as well.

I am fully aware of the criticisms of JBJ's defense.  I'll never understand why IU "fans" get so rabid in their hatred of a guy on the team.  I see JBJ as the team's leader and best player.

The last paragraph was perfect. I understand being frustrated with kids, but the constant bashing of JBJ for defense when we have other guys just as bad is crazy. Even if there wasn't he is the leading scorer we have had in a decade. We can't just give the kid a break and look past how much he has done for the program? How many wins have any of you guys got us this year? My point made.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

23 hours ago, Stromboli said:

JBJ is one of the most selfish guys Ive watched in an IU uniform. That is where the "hate" comes from.

JBJ is one of the most selfish guys Ive watched in an IU uniform. That is where the "hate" comes from.

Most selfish kids in an IU uniform huh? Name some examples please!! Cause he isn't good on defense? Cause he shoots a lot? He is the best scorer per average since Crean has been here. If he doesn't shoot we don't have many others that could take his shots if they wanted. RoJo is literally the only other kid who I would even take a shot a game away from JBJ. Good grief the attacks on our own kids has to stop. JBJ has got in NO trouble and considering the players that have been it makes this statement laughable. What about Yogi, Stan, Hanner, Holt, Davis and I can keep going. Players who put the program in trouble on and off the court!! That made our program laughable at times. So tell me exactly what has JBJ done? He is on pace to graduate in 3 years, hasn't been in ANY trouble, choose us over not just UK whether he had a spot or not he could have went almost anywhere, stayed w us through all the Lyles stuff which was his best friend and I could go on. Every single kid has one flaw at least and if JBJ's is taking extra shots and being a bad defender....send me that kid instead of plenty other kids. Noah is another example of a bad egg. Or even TB. Smfh!!

That and being they"best" player on an underperforming team is really the crux.

Bracey Wright comparisons abound.

And i enjoyed watching both of them play, but wish their teams were better.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I personally don't understand the selfish stuff about James. He has put up with a lot of **** from this fanbase and still plays hard every night. I respect him a lot for that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think it's more my comment. He gets the angst because he's the best player on an underperforming team. That and the defense issues.

The best player and coach gets the majority of the blame when things aren't going as expected.

On top of that, our turnaround directly coinciding with his injury last year did him no favors.

Yogi got a lot of crap for both his on court performance and his off court stuff. He matured and was not only the best player but a leader. The best player on a bad team with a terrible coach doesn't help. However, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a bad defender. Is there anything wrong with pointing out that he's a bad defender? I can see where the selfish comments come from too. Just a few examples from recent games..

- running harder after a loose ball, harder than he's ever chased a defender, to get an easy layup when OG was right there to pick it up and go in for a dunk.

- after a ball was knocked loose he started to run back for the fast break rather than actually picking up the ball

I know there are a few other examples in just the last few games. He'll continue to get criticized about these plays until he 1) defends to his ability, 2) the team starts winning, or 3) Crean is fired.

30 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Most selfish kids in an IU uniform huh? Name some examples please!! Cause he isn't good on defense? Cause he shoots a lot? He is the best scorer per average since Crean has been here. If he doesn't shoot we don't have many others that could take his shots if they wanted. RoJo is literally the only other kid who I would even take a shot a game away from JBJ. Good grief the attacks on our own kids has to stop. JBJ has got in NO trouble and considering the players that have been it makes this statement laughable. What about Yogi, Stan, Hanner, Holt, Davis and I can keep going. Players who put the program in trouble on and off the court!! That made our program laughable at times. So tell me exactly what has JBJ done? He is on pace to graduate in 3 years, hasn't been in ANY trouble, choose us over not just UK whether he had a spot or not he could have went almost anywhere, stayed w us through all the Lyles stuff which was his best friend and I could go on. Every single kid has one flaw at least and if JBJ's is taking extra shots and being a bad defender....send me that kid instead of plenty other kids. Noah is another example of a bad egg. Or even TB. Smfh!!

There are countless examples to point to where JBJ could've passed to the open man on a break or drive, but instead chose to take it for himself. It has nothing to do with his defense or anything else. It comes from observation. He is without a doubt though our best offensive player.

At times jbj seems like someone who is worried about getting "his" and looking good for pro scouts. It also kind of seems like he's grudgingly returned to IU the past two years even though his heart hasn't been in it. Not saying that he deserves hate for that, but I think those things play into a lot of it. 

The kids who got in trouble got a lottttt of hate when it happened but they're no longer here so no point in hating on them. Yogi got a lot of hate too until he became a senior and grew exponentially as a leader. 

There are countless examples to point to where JBJ could've passed to the open man on a break or drive, but instead chose to take it for himself. It has nothing to do with his defense or anything else. It comes from observation. He is without a doubt though our best offensive player.

And so do other players. We all had issues with Yogi his sophomore year and junior but it was okay then because he was our best option just like JBJ is now. Your number scoring option is supposed to do that. Why do we neex to pick apart any of our kids?

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

At times jbj seems like someone who is worried about getting "his" and looking good for pro scouts. It also kind of seems like he's grudgingly returned to IU the past two years even though his heart hasn't been in it. Not saying that he deserves hate for that, but I think those things play into a lot of it. 

He may wish he was in the NBA, but I really like how he said he was going to pick up the torch from Yogi for this year.  That is awesome.

I think it's more my comment. He gets the angst because he's the best player on an underperforming team. That and the defense issues.

The best player and coach gets the majority of the blame when things aren't going as expected.

On top of that, our turnaround directly coinciding with his injury last year did him no favors.

Totally agree with that. Just the selfish part doesn't register with me. The best scorer on a team is always going to pass up on some open players and things of that nature, it's just how scorers work.

2 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

And so do other players. We all had issues with Yogi his sophomore year and junior but it was okay then because he was our best option just like JBJ is now. Your number scoring option is supposed to do that. Why do we neex to pick apart any of our kids?

I'm not picking him apart. I'm just saying I can see how others think he is selfish. We're allowed to critique our players, that's what a forum is for. But I agree with Hova above in that when you have a player who is wired to score, he is going to pass up those assist opportunities sometimes. Just the way it is

9 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

JBJ thought he was 1 and done. He would have went to UK. Cal knew better. He is a streaky shooter. Spent the last couple years trying to prove he is more than that but streaky shooter is his game.

He shot 46% on 6.2 attempts per game last year, and 42% on 7.2 attempts this year. I wouldn't call that streaky, he is a legitimately elite shooter. 

Totally agree with that. Just the selfish part doesn't register with me. The best scorer on a team is always going to pass up on some open players and things of that nature, it's just how scorers work.

I will go even further: the best shooter and scorer on a team is SUPPOSED TO keep the ball rather than pass when a lesser teammate doesn't have a layup. That's effective basketball.

1 hour ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

He shot 46% on 6.2 attempts per game last year, and 42% on 7.2 attempts this year. I wouldn't call that streaky, he is a legitimately elite shooter. 

He can and has disappeared for games. My main point is he trying to be something he isnt. Trying to show he has other skills that translate to the next level. Doesnt necessarily help the team you are on. If you have an elite shooter why not run stuff to get him open looks? That is on Crean. Recruiting promises made to get JBJ to the next level that hurt the team is what I am not fond of.