Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) PG Jordan Walker to Seton Hall

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

5'9" under recruited PG. lovely.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Who was one of the City of Palms national tourney MVPs in December playing against guys like Duval,Tillman, Sexton, Knox, MJ Walker, and more. We need a court-vision pg. This kid is one.

Who was one of the City of Palms national tourney MVPs in December playing against guys like Duval,Tillman, Sexton, Knox, MJ Walker, and more. We need a court-vision pg. This kid is one.

Where have you seen video of him being a "court vision pg?" I'd love to see it. All I could find was a street ball tournament where he would be called for a travel or carry every possession in the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, bhaggard89 said:

Where have you seen video of him being a "court vision pg?" I'd love to see it. All I could find was a street ball tournament where he would be called for a travel or carry every possession in the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The 247 article on his play at the City of Palms tournament cited his strengths and weaknesses:

The City of Palms is in a new venue, but the nation's top high school tournament is as strong as ever in Fort Myers, Florida. On day 1, these were ten of the biggest standouts:

Trevon Duval: The nation's premier point guard lived up to the billing in a blowout victory for IMG Academy. The best point guard in the class of 2017, Duval brings court vision, size, active hands on defense and a killer handle with an uncanny ability to penetrate to the position. While some point guards may score more (Sexton) or end up with more assists (Green), Duval can do it all, while ending up leading his team in the category that all point guards are ultimately judged by: wins. Duval is the only person to win a championship on two of the three sneaker circuits. Now a student at IMG Academy, Duval has cut his list of suitors to a final five of Arizona, Baylor, Duke, Kansas, and Seton Hall. In this opener, Duval was efficient from the field (8/10 FG), while electrifying the crowd with his creative and precise passing (officially 5 assists, 1 turnover). He is currently working on setting up official visits with his father to his five finalists.

Kevin Knox: One of the premier hybrid-forward prospects in the class of 2017, Knox' versatility, athleticism, and improving perimeter skill level is what has attracted coaches from around the country to the 6'8" Tampa Catholic senior. In this match-up, he was faced against a physically imposing 6'10" five-star big man Jeremiah Tillman of East St. Louis. While many tend to think of versatility in terms of one side of the ball, Knox, a former football player, is a legitimate two-way player and has the combination of lateral quickness and strength to defend at least three positions for extended stretches. In this game, he used his mix of length, anticipation, and quickness to generate six steals. Offensively, he tried to draw Tillman away from the basket by shooting a high number of perimeter shots. Although he connected on three three-pointers, he was much more efficient when playing mid-range and in. In front of three Duke coaches, Knox finished with 30 points, 12 rebounds, and 6 steals in a close victory over East St. Louis. Knox is considering four schools: Duke, Florida State, Kentucky and UNC.

Jahvon Quinerly: The 6' junior point guard from Hudson Catholic brings clarity and poise to the position. Quinerly plays with a patience that enables his teammates to be in a position to be successful. In this contest, his shot wasn't falling from the outside and so he tried to adjust by penetrating more, while also surveying the court for open teammates. Like Duval, Jahvon Quinerly has a penchant for making winning plays. The top 30 junior and honor roll student has been hearing from Arizona, Stanford, Seton Hall, UVA, Kansas and Maryland, but is open to new schools.

Jeremiah Tilmon: At nearly 6'11" Tilmon has been blessed with physical traits that give him an advantage over almost every player on the court that he's set foot on, but he hasn't always brought the energy or production that comes with that burden of expectation. In the game, despite the loss, Tilmon looked like the five-star player that many had expected or hoped he would eventually develop into. He's in the best shape of his life and, as a result, was able to play extended minutes and imposed his will on Tampa's defense for stretches. When motivated, he's very challenging to keep off of the glass and ultimately prevent from scoring. The Illinois commit finished with 19 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 blocks. The key for Tilmon will be to extend this level of effort and enhance his low-post skill as well as eventually develop more of a face-up game. If he can, the future will be very bright for Tilmon and Illinois.

Luther Muhammad: Wired to score, the current four-star junior Muhammad looks like he's not only fully healthy (suffered an extended injury earlier), but a more complete player than he was before. A capable ball-handler with an improved body, Muhammad put constant pressure on his defender by scoring mid-range and in. He's got an ability to navigate through tight defenses to get to the rim, while finishing through contact. Like most quality scorers, he has a knack for adding points at the free throw line, while putting the opposition in foul trouble. In an area for improvement, he'll need to work on his consistency from beyond the three-point line in the coming years. He's been hearing from Tulane, St. John's, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Syracuse, Cincinnati, and Notre Dame.

Jamir Harris: The Minnesota commit was on fire from beyond the arc, knocking down six three-pointers and playing quality on-the-ball defense. Sometimes overlooked do to his talented teammate Nick Richards (Kentucky commit), Harris plays with a poise, intelligence, and toughness that sets a tone for his talented Patrick School squad. In this contest, he and fellow backcourt mate Jordan Walker put such intense pressure on the opposition, with their combination of penetration and perimeter shooting. For Gophers fans, Harris can combine a similar dynamic with future teammate Isaiah Washington, a four-star point guard Minnesota commit from St. Raymond's.

Luka Garza: The Maret four-star senior was very challenging for Hudson Catholic to cope with inside. Garza's mix of size, overall skill in both posts, and sense of spacing just forced defenders to allow him to score unimpeded or foul, which he proceeded to knock down 15 of 17 shots from the FT line. Garza's body and conditioning has also improved, which he'll need as he heads to Iowa and used to finish through contact in this contest. Despite the loss, Garza's 27 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 blocks were critical in keeping Maret in the game and certainly bode well for Iowa into the future.

Emmitt Williams: Williams' motor is always on and usually higher than anyone on the court. There are bigger forwards, but Williams' energy and physicality allows him to produce consistently than more celebrated players. In this contest, his effort level helped inspire his teammates, while Duval's court vision helped take advantage of Williams' athleticism. The current 2018 four-star forward finished with 14 points and 6 rebounds on a talented IMG Academy squad. The junior already has offers from Oklahoma, LSU, USC, Florida, Florida St., Texas A&M, Kansas St., and Penn State, but said he's focused on this season with his talented teammates.

M.J. Walker: Walker is one of the top available seniors and stepped up in the final session to help deliver Jonesboro the victory. The robust wing finished with 29 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 steals. Although he seems to prefer to play on the perimeter, he is so effective near the basket, using his mix of athleticism and strength to punish the defense. In the future, he'll need to tighten his body, continue to improve his perimeter skill set, and take care of the ball better (7 turnovers in this one). Walker's upside is substantial. It's just a matter of tapping into his potential.

Jordan Walker: A quick, undersized point guard with a tight handle, Walker has good court vision. In this contest, the high energy competitor penetrated at will and used his mid-range pull-up. An active on-the ball defender, he generated four steals and frustrated the opposition. Although he still needs to improve the consistency of his three-point shot, he played very much under control in this one and stuck with his strengths as a player. Walker finished with 20 points, 4 assists, 4 steals, and 4 rebounds.

Just watched him on espnu on that high school classic tournament they are showing today. He was game mvp in a double overtime win and finished one rebound short of a triple double.  Said he had talked to the IU coaches earlier today when they interviewed him after the game.  Bright kid in the interview and looked really good today.

Jersey point guard hearing from Indiana

1283261.jpg?w=50&h=50&faces=true
MIKE PEGRAM
2:37 PM

Jordan Walker of The Patrick School in New Jersey shined on national television earlier today, showing why Indiana and other high major programs are jumping in on the ultra quick point guard.

In a game where all the hype was on a five-star big man battle, little 5-foot-10 point guard Jordan Walker stole the show.

In the second game of the Spalding Hoophall Classic at Springfield, Massachusetts, Walker and The Patrick School (NJ) outlasted Pace Academy (GA) in double overtime, 68-60.

After finishing with 15 points, 11 assists, nine rebounds and four steals, Walker was selected for Spalding Player of the Game in the contest televised live on ESPNU.

A noteworthy accomplishment considering Duke bound big man Wendell Carter went for 28 points and 18 rebounds in the game for Pace Academy. Walker's outstanding game helped make up for teammate Nick Richards' foul troubles. Richards, a five-star Kentucky signee, fouled out in regulation with 10 points and six rebounds.

Walker was a difference maker in the second overtime. His 18-foot jumper broke a 60-all tie and he followed with an assist and one more basket to play the biggest part of the eight point run to end the game. 

He nearly won the game in regulation with a long three-pointer but was called for a controversial push-off on his step back move.

Walker is a senior who is considering a move to the 2018 class.

After the game he spoke to ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

"As of right now I am 2017," Walker said. "Right now I am just thinking of whether I go prep or stay 2017."

The Patrick School is a traditional high school power that has produced many NBA players including like Kyrie Irving, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Al Harrington

While the school is located in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Walker is actually from Port Washington, New York (Long Island area).

Walker began drawing attention after his fine play at the City of Palms tournament in Fort Myers, Florida during December. Indiana was among the schools that scouted that event and was the first school to roll off his tongue today when asked by ESPN about the status of his recruitment.

"Indiana called me the other day, LSU, Seton Hall, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, a couple other schools--St. Louis, VCU. I don't remember all of them," Walker said.

Seton Hall, VCU and Kansas State all made reported offers before the season and Georgia made one soon after the City of Palms event.

Basketball.Recruiting:  Jordan Walker may be attractive 2017 option at point guard

The Patrick School basketball squad is loaded from top to bottom this year. Former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice is helping lead the way, a team that boasts such talents as Kentucky signee and five-star big man Nick Richards, to go along with others committed to Minnesota and Monmouth. However, the catalyst for the Jersey program this winter is neither of those three but rather it is Jordan Walker, a 5-foot-11 lead guard that has seen his stock soar in recent months.

Walker had 15 points, 11 assists, nine rebounds and four steals in his team’s loss at the Hoophall Classic in Springfield, Mass., earlier this month, showing why Oklahoma State, Indiana, Seton Hall and a bevy of others have gotten involved with the top-150 recruit.

Walker embodies everything that one looks for in a high-major point guard. The tough-nosed playmaker can score from all three levels on the floor, is quite possibly the best post feeder in the nation, and can be leaned upon for his lethal on-ball defense.

Walker is likely headed to a prep school after graduating this spring, making him a member of the 2018 class and giving him a chance to boost his stock even further. Or, he could stay in the class of 2017 and join a college team in the fall.

“I don’t really know that as of right now but I will make that decision later on,” Walker said. “It just depends on the school. If it fits me best and I feel like I can be a really big asset right away, I will go. If not, I don’t know then.”

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Walker discussed teams that have been talking to him.

“Seton Hall is recruiting me really hard, Indiana just started recruiting me hard, LSU and Providence; that’s probably the ones I know off the top of my head,” Walker said. “I like Seton Hall but I like a lot of different schools. They are local and they’re one of the first schools that started recruiting me hard.”

WHAT'S NEXT

No decision is expected any time soon from Walker on whether or not to attend a college in the fall. Do be on the lookout for a slew of unofficial visits to take place before any types of plans are set. In the meantime, Walker will remain the head of the snake that is The Patrick School basketball team this winter before running with the Southern Stampede travel team this spring and summer.

RIVALS REACTION

Point guard play has become more and more vital in recent years and seeing that several programs have swung and missed on some of their top lead guard recruits earlier in the year, it comes to no surprise the amount of attention that Walker has stirred up. The fact that many more are just learning that he could attend a college this year instead of next changes things a bit further. The Jersey native is likely to become one of the more talked about recruits this winter thanks to the dearth of available point guards and because of Walker’s ability to affect both sides of the basketball.

I miss Yogi and I am soooo itching for a true point guard. While DeVonte Green is a very valuable player, someone I expect to be in the starting lineup soon and for good, and has some point guard tendencies, to me he is not the on-court quarterback or penetrator that makes him our true point guard going forward. 

Therefore, Jordan Walker for me, please.