Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Miller'sTheMan

Biggest changes needed to the football team?

It's the off-season, so lets see what changes everyone thinks are needed for a successful season next year?

Mine are as follows:

1) Lagow cannot be the guy, he's displayed time and time again he just doesn't have the accuracy or the decision making to be the starter. I don't care whether it's Ramsey, King, or if we add a grad transfer, but we need someone else who can lead this offense.

2) Speaking of the offense, i'd go after a new OC. I know Johns wasn't the main guy behind the offense while Wilson was here, but I think i'd still split ways after the disaster the offense was at times this season. Maybe a new input or style is needed to get the most out of this unit.

3) Not necessarily a change, but I just wanted to give a tip of the hat to the defense this year, they played OUTSTANDING. Even our depth players were great (Tyler Green had a heck of a game vs Utah filling in for Riggins). The talent on this team is better than any I can remember at IU, but we just need to start turning the talent into more W's.

1) Grad transfer would be great. Hova mentioned that King is suppose to have really good accuracy, and that Wilson mentioned he struggled with the playbook. Its been mentioned that Allen wants to rely more or on the run going forward. Maybe with a simplified playbook and route tree King is the guy. Could honestly help Lagow as well to not expect as much from him.

Raphael Green is the only loss on defense (although that's a big loss) assuming Fant or Scales don't dip for the NFL. On offense we lose Paige and Jones, but we get back Simmie Cobbs, J-Shun Harris, and Jordan Fuchs from injuries. Feeney is a big blow and Wes Rogers is another starter on the o-line, but I trust Coach Frey to have them ready to go on the line. If we can just figure out QB this team has the potential for at least 8 wins next year.

58 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Your first 2 points covered everything I was going to say. I would add on we need to utilize Patrick more next season, hopefully he'll be healthy and ready to unleash then.

I think Patrick should be moved to RB next season. With Harris and Cobbs returning to an already good receiving core we should be set at WR. Redding/Patrick can be a really good RB duo.

I think point 1 depends on point 2. We have to know who will run the offense before we can speculate who will be the QB. Will the OC be Johns, Watson/Heard, or heck, Cam Cameron? If Johns stays, you have to think Lagow has the leg up. If we have a new OC, maybe there is a need for a more athletic QB and Ramsey has a legitimate chance.

I think we'll have a much better idea of the changes needed once CTA competes his staff.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

34 minutes ago, Crean'sTheMan said:

I think Patrick should be moved to RB next season. With Harris and Cobbs returning to an already good receiving core we should be set at WR. Redding/Patrick can be a really good RB duo.

Redding/Patrick/Natee could be a savage trio

41 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

II hope we actually use Natee. He had that one game against Maryland then we stopped using him

He was really only useful in specific situations. I think he can be a good player, but to become an all around back he needs to drop 15-20 pounds to try to gain some explosiveness.

My biggest problem with Lagow is it looked like he wasn't reading at all at times. Just out there grabbing the ball and chucking it. If it was just a mechanic issue I would have hope for him, but  with it being physical and mental I just don't see him being the guy long term next season. Please prove me wrong Lagow. I am hungry for some Crow. 

Patrick is going back to RB like last spring. Allen mentioned that back in the second week of December. Allen and him sat down and had a meeting.

Simmie Cobbs is the biggest wildcard. I like him but without Paige which for some reason I thought he was a redshirt junior and would be back and Jones we lose a lot. Harris has potential as well, but our running game is gonna carry us on offense behind another great o line as usual even without Feeney. The defense should be just as good if not better. Scales & Fant possibly leaving is huge but Fant just got into a new program I saw on twitter. I can't remember exactly what but he should be back. Scales should be coming back to show this year wasn't a fluke.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Simmie Cobbs is the biggest wildcard. I like him but without Paige which for some reason I thought he was a redshirt junior and would be back and Jones we lose a lot. Harris has potential as well, but our running game is gonna carry us on offense behind another great o line as usual even without Feeney. The defense should be just as good if not better. Scales & Fant possibly leaving is huge but Fant just got into a new program I saw on twitter. I can't remember exactly what but he should be back. Scales should be coming back to show this year wasn't a fluke.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I think between Simmie, Westbrook, Timian, J-Shun, and Fuchs coming back as well we're fine with pass catchers. I forget, is Marqui Hawkins still around?

Lagow cannot be QB. I cannot watch another season of that. I don't care if they put a kitten in an IU jersey under center. Anything but Lagow. 

Lots of peeps on here smarter than I when it comes to player development, but with a season under his belt and now an entire off season to work shouldn't we expect Lagow to improve and at least become a serviceable QB?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Lots of peeps on here smarter than I when it comes to player development, but with a season under his belt and now an entire off season to work shouldn't we expect Lagow to improve and at least become a serviceable QB?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

All the advanced statistics suggest that Lagow was average this past season. That includes the good (passing yards) and the bad (turnovers). I agree, Lagow should see an incremental improvement in his game after a full year in our program. Shawn Watson as QB coach will help as well.

A new OC with a new offense might make the adjustment tough for Lagow. I don't think Lagow's strengths fit well to the offense CTA and DeBord want to run. Lagow is a good measuring stick for a QB competition. We know we have an average QB with good potential and a year of starting experience, so any QB that beats him out will either be pretty good, or Lagow will have had to seriously regress.

I think Ramsey is a very good fit for DeBord's offense. Will McBride is a DT QB who is a TN commit. With TN getting a new OC, possibly a high profile one like Helfrich who will likely have his own guy, could DeBord bring him to IU? McBride is an early enrollee as well.

We should see some serious movement of recruits once the dead period lifts. I'm sure we'll lose some kids, but we'll gain some too. Will be fun.

26 minutes ago, akhosrof said:

All the advanced statistics suggest that Lagow was average this past season. That includes the good (passing yards) and the bad (turnovers). I agree, Lagow should see an incremental improvement in his game after a full year in our program. Shawn Watson as QB coach will help as well.

A new OC with a new offense might make the adjustment tough for Lagow. I don't think Lagow's strengths fit well to the offense CTA and DeBord want to run. Lagow is a good measuring stick for a QB competition. We know we have an average QB with good potential and a year of starting experience, so any QB that beats him out will either be pretty good, or Lagow will have had to seriously regress.

I think Ramsey is a very good fit for DeBord's offense. Will McBride is a DT QB who is a TN commit. With TN getting a new OC, possibly a high profile one like Helfrich who will likely have his own guy, could DeBord bring him to IU? McBride is an early enrollee as well.

We should see some serious movement of recruits once the dead period lifts. I'm sure we'll lose some kids, but we'll gain some too. Will be fun.

Out of curiosity which advanced statistics?