Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Indiana vs Louisville Game Thread

Crean sounded very confident that the team could easily fix its problems and right the ship. I agree, much of what is going wrong is correctable. He talked about a lack of off-ball movement with some guys....truth. Careless turnovers are correctable....truth, though I think we will always have 10-12 because we don't have anyone with a handle. Team needs to look in the mirror and find out what has changed from KU/UNC till now. Something is different.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Crean sounded very confident that the team could easily fix its problems and right the ship. I agree, much of what is going wrong is correctable. He talked about a lack of off-ball movement with some guys....truth. Careless turnovers are correctable....truth, though I think we will always have 10-12 because we don't have anyone with a handle. Team needs to look in the mirror and find out what has changed from KU/UNC till now. Something is different.

Those things are correctable, but as we work on correcting them against Ft. Wayne, Butler, Louisville and Nebraska, our potential seeding is dropping like a rock. Meaning that we'll probably once again be regulated to a 5th-7th seed and a Sweet Sixteen would be a nice accomplishment, keeping IU locked into this Crean cycle of doing just enough to not get fired. 

It's also frustrating that I keep seeing headlines like, "Louisville's defense stifles IU". We did not lose this game because of Louisville's defense. We lost it because of our defense. That is the story right now, our defense being putrid against average to below average offenses like Butler, Louisville and Nebraska. 

20 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

The team just isn't there mentally and hasn't been for a couple weeks. The McSwain jersey incident today just sums it all up. I mentioned this the other night, but I was with a friend in the Assembly Hall parking lot before the game Wednesday and we saw Blackmon walking in well after everyone else was there. These guys need to get their heads on. 

17 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Those are correctable.  The same problems have existed since Crean has been here though, so I have a hard time seeing that it's going to change.

It's also frustrating that I keep seeing headlines like, "Louisville's defense stifles IU". We did not lose this game because of Louisville's defense. We lost it because of our defense. That is the story right now, our defense being putrid against average to below average offenses like Butler, Louisville and Nebraska. 

Defense is the great equalizer. When not shooting well, a great D keeps you in the game.

Imagine the thoughts Louisville had going from Virginias D to ours.

The team just isn't there mentally and hasn't been for a couple weeks. The McSwain jersey incident today just sums it all up. I mentioned this the other night, but I was with a friend in the Assembly Hall parking lot before the game Wednesday and we saw Blackmon walking in well after everyone else was there. These guys need to get their heads on. 

Why did Mcswain not have his jersey on?

Just now, 8bucks said:

Why did Mcswain not have his jersey on?

Probably figured he wasn't playing today and never gave it a second thought. Until he realized he was playing. Like I said, majority of the team has had their heads in the clouds for the past two weeks. 

It pisses me off that Crean still played him. I don't care if McSwain has to run more in the next practice. Knight never would have played a kid that couldn't remember to put his jersey on. 

I agree that something is off with this team mentally. Could they be lacking confidence? My take is that there has been a noticeable lack of intensity since The UNC game...even in the store-bought wins. I mean a precipitous drop in defensive intensity. James Blackmon showing up late and Freddie not having a jersey baffle me. James wants to prove he's ready for the NBA and Fred wants to play.... I think the players need to start holding each other accountable.

How did you guys notice he didn't have his jersey I missed it

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I was at the game and somehow noticed it live. It was in the middle of a nice run we had (OG breakaway dunk) and Mcswain got called to go in. What's surprising is they still put him in like 6 minutes later.

I'm not a big fan of Freddie but he sure is a hell of a lot better than McRoberts who doesn't have anything going for him at all.

I was at the game and somehow noticed it live. It was in the middle of a nice run we had (OG breakaway dunk) and Mcswain got called to go in. What's surprising is they still put him in like 6 minutes later.

I'm not a big fan of Freddie but he sure is a hell of a lot better than McRoberts who doesn't have anything going for him at all.

Any idea who he was going in for? My guess is OG since he had that big dunk and all

I think JBJ has a negative effect on team chemistry. He's a major liability on defense and on the offensive end a lot of times he either is trying to do to much or the ball "sticks" when it gets to him. I understand we need his offense but I think last year we ended up having better chemistry without him. Curious to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think JBJ has a negative effect on team chemistry. He's a major liability on defense and on the offensive end a lot of times he either is trying to do to much or the ball "sticks" when it gets to him. I understand we need his offense but I think last year we ended up having better chemistry without him. Curious to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Ever since JBJ decommitted from IU and then recommitted I had a feeling he had a "me" attitude and only played for himself. Just like his friend Trey

Oh I don't know. I think his defense has improved. I believe he thinks he's the only real scoring option, making him try to do to much. I did see him look off TB late for an open 3. Hard to tell if he is affecting chemistry negatively though. Whether he wants to be or not, he's one of the leaders on this team. He needs to start leading by example. In the post game interviews, he seems to be saying all the right things.

I do agree it looks like he has made an effort to improve on the defensive end. He does have trouble creating his own shot against lengthy defenders, that is probably why it looked like he was forcing things at times this afternoon. Thanks for the feedback.

I to have noticed James improved effort on defense. He is moving his feet much better, in particular there was a late play against the Huskers in front of their bench where he had his hands up and feet moving and got called for s bogus foul. There is NO WAY we are a better team without him. We need to run more sets and screens for him to get his shot off. Someone earlier made a Eric Gordon comparison, not close EJ way bigger and stronger, overall much better player.