Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Is Thomas Bryant going to declare for the draft?

Is Thomas Bryant going to declare for the draft?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is Thomas Bryant leaving us after the year?

• Yes he's gone
    • No he will be back
    • Yes but he shouldn't

35 minutes ago, Demo said:

Pretty sure neither of us are going to be gm's any time soon, but if you're saying that a kid who's going to measure 6'11" in shoes with a 7'5" wingspan, who can make perimeter shots, who can make the correct pass both out of the post and on the perimeter, who flashes the ability to make plays off the dribble, who can run the floor and has a motor, who works at his game and is coachable, is a good teammate and competitor, and will be 19 years old on draft night, is a 40-50 player in June, yeah, no. That tool kit won't get out of the top 25. 

Bryant absolutely needs to improve his game. I agree with your view of some, though not all, of his flaws. But when that kid decides to go, he's going to have as long a career as he wants.

No one doubts his work ethic, character, etc. He's a great young man. His current game just doesn't really translate to the next level. I can't see him being able to guard very many players in the NBA. His feet are too slow. Noah Vonleh's game was better suited to the NBA imo and he's still struggling to find a role in the league. 

Pretty sure neither of us are going to be gm's any time soon, but if you're saying that a kid who's going to measure 6'11" in shoes with a 7'5" wingspan, who can make perimeter shots, who can make the correct pass both out of the post and on the perimeter, who flashes the ability to make plays off the dribble, who can run the floor and has a motor, who works at his game and is coachable, is a good teammate and competitor, and will be 19 years old on draft night, is a 40-50 player in June, yeah, no. That tool kit won't get out of the top 25. 

Bryant absolutely needs to improve his game. I agree with your view of some, though not all, of his flaws. But when that kid decides to go, he's going to have as long a career as he wants.

That's all great for projecting him as a pro but at IU the player Bryant needs to be scoring or being fouled around the rim.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

No one doubts his work ethic, character, etc. He's a great young man. His current game just doesn't really translate to the next level. I can't see him being able to guard very many players in the NBA. His feet are too slow. Noah Vonleh's game was better suited to the NBA imo and he's still struggling to find a role in the league. 

i guess it depends on how you and I are defining where his game is from a draft standpoint. Does his game extrapolated out over the length of a career translate to the NBA game? Sure it does. If you want to see his floor, Imo, this is it: 

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3460/marreese-speights

That's 9 years as a rotational 4/5, the last 3 with really good teams. Is that a star? Of course not. But I'm pretty sure if you told GM's picking in the 20's that they are going to get that production, they aren't all going to pass it up.  And I think his ceiling is good bit higher than that.

17 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's all great for projecting him as a pro but at IU the player Bryant needs to be scoring or being fouled around the rim.

I agree with you, but I thought the conversation was about Bryant's future.

On 12/24/2016 at 10:39 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Crean appears to be recruiting like either Moore will be ready to contribute Day 1 or he thinks Bryant will be back. Or I suppose he might just want to play 5 SFs which is actually possible. 

I dont think we can go off Creans recruiting. Priorities seem to change daily at times.

26 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Troy Williams started for the Grizzlies this year. No one knows what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff, nor will they ever. 

Lol, okay. You brought up one example of a guy proving a lot of people wrong. So of course that equates to no one ever knowing what they're talking about and they never will. Flawless logic. Who cares that there are plenty of examples of guys who people have talked about and been dead on about with their pro prospects. This one example trumps that

On 12/24/2016 at 2:11 PM, Brass Cannon said:

This has been a hot topic for a few weeks so I thought I would give it a home. 

Too early to say.  Reputations can be made in March. His performance against quality opponents will raise or lower his chances to be drafted.

Yeah, that's a little off. The original question was about whether Bryant will declare for the draft not his production if/when drafted. NBA scouts talk plenty so there can definitely be an informed opinion on draft position...

Any idea if this comes down to draft position or more like Troy?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Any idea if this comes down to draft position or more like Troy?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Definitely different than the Troy situation.

I'd say about 70/30 go vs stay (if I had to put some numbers to it) but trending the other way. A lot more to shake out here.

2 hours ago, KingPG21 said:

Lol, okay. You brought up one example of a guy proving a lot of people wrong. So of course that equates to no one ever knowing what they're talking about and they never will. Flawless logic. Who cares that there are plenty of examples of guys who people have talked about and been dead on about with their pro prospects. This one example trumps that

On this site, yes. 

Another sophomore that reminds me of Bryant's situation is Ivan rabb from California. If he would of left after his freshman year he probably would of went in lottery or at least the first round. So far this year he has not dominated like he was supposed to. Doesn't mean he won't later in the year but many think he should of came out last year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

30 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

On this site, yes. 

Except there have been discussions about plenty of guys that have been spot on. Again you're just acting like this one example trumps every other. 

I'll will say that I always said Troys game better fit the NBA and if he could improve his shooting to at least average he'd have a good shot at the NBA.

Still think semi reliable shooting will be his make or break. I was one of very few that gave Troy a good chance.

I think TB can make it, but I too, would be hesitant to select him. His lack of low post strength, lateral speed, and jumping ability makes him a low ceiling pro.

I know for sure, that IU has been working extensively on improving these thing with S&C. Vertical has already improved at a record breaking rate if you trust Our teams measurements.
If he can improve these things that will be his make or break imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners