Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Post-Butler Frustration Thread

Keep improving on D and let the offense come to them if they start cold instead of trying to force it. Even though O.G. is said to be ready to go, I still see him with some limits. Morgan will do Morgan things. Bryant really needs to establish something in the post.

Keep improving on D and let the offense come to them if they start cold instead of trying to force it. Even though O.G. is said to be ready to go, I still see him with some limits. Morgan will do Morgan things. Bryant really needs to establish something in the post.

I would really like to see Davis get early post touches to get the Butler bigs in foul trouble. I see Butler playing physical and I'm not sure Bryant is up for that task.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I would really like to see Davis get early post touches to get the Butler bigs in foul trouble. I see Butler playing physical and I'm not sure Bryant is up for that task.

Really like Davis and not because he has my last name. He is going to be good! Really like his post awareness, with a little more experience he will be an absolute nightmare for other teams.

Really like Davis and not because he has my last name. He is going to be good! Really like his post awareness, with a little more experience he will be an absolute nightmare for other teams.

Agree, I know our player development will help with perimeter skills. I hope he is closer to a 90% post and 10% perimeter. I don't like how TB plays more and more on the perimeter but his post skill hasn't taken the jump I thought we'd see.

Agree, I know our player development will help with perimeter skills. I hope he is closer to a 90% post and 10% perimeter. I don't like how TB plays more and more on the perimeter but his post skill hasn't taken the jump I thought we'd see.

I agree, sadly guessed this coming with TB. It bugs absolute shite out of me to watch him play 90% of the time! I know that the "game is changing" and all but he needs to park his longed armed ass down on the block at least half the time. Hey CTC! We have guards and wings that actually feed the post, unlike years past. Absolutely excited to see DD develop! Just hope it's down there where he needs to be

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And oh yeah, been scared of this game from day one! Kansas win made me feel a lil better but after the IPFW loss. Brought me back to my expectations of this group. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance about being so negative. but I just cannot get excited about IU basketball anymore. And no one hates that more than I!! A whole lot more I want to say but I won't do it here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To me TB has been most disappointing player so far versus my expectations. He has had numerous games where he should absolutely dominate. This Butler game is another. Wideman is probably going to guard him as a 6'8" player with average length.

Bryant's inability to get and maintain deep post position is beyond troubling. He doesn't have the speed to be a traditional face up big. He DOES pass really well and shoots above average but he doesn't use his length on offense or defense like he could.

Butler is going to hope to make up the size difference by forcing/allowing us to turn it over. We need to play as hard as them on both ends and this should work themselves out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

To me TB has been most disappointing player so far versus my expectations. He has had numerous games where he should absolutely dominate. This Butler game is another. Wideman is probably going to guard him as a 6'8" player with average length.

Bryant's inability to get and maintain deep post position is beyond troubling. He doesn't have the speed to be a traditional face up big. He DOES pass really well and shoots above average but he doesn't use his length on offense or defense like he could.

Butler is going to hope to make up the size difference by forcing/allowing us to turn it over. We need to play as hard as them on both ends and this should work themselves out.

My fears are 1) not matching the physicality and intensity of Butler 2) turnovers leading to points and 3) playing on our heals. Butler knows they can't stand toe to toe with us in terms of talent. They'll Butler it up to even that out. If we don't force our way we'll be playing from behind and tiring from the physical style.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I have a bit of a different perspective. I'm not saying TB has been dominant, but in his defense I think early on this season everyone is keying on stopping him. Teams aren't sold on our guards (especially without Yogi this year) and we run a guard focused offense anyways. Teams are doubling and packing in on TB, and our guards aren't good at getting him the ball. It's a little like the Vonleh year, where our guards simply aren't patient enough to let things play out. I've watched numerous times where TB is open on the block but the guard (usually Blackmon) is way to quick to swing the ball and TB is wide open a split-second late. 

So while he hasn't been as dominant as expected, I don't think that means he hasn't been really good and impactful. He definitely impacts games in a lot of ways beyond scoring. But yes, we do need to get him much more involved in the offense to be as good as we hope. 

I have a bit of a different perspective. I'm not saying TB has been dominant, but in his defense I think early on this season everyone is keying on stopping him. Teams aren't sold on our guards (especially without Yogi this year) and we run a guard focused offense anyways. Teams are doubling and packing in on TB, and our guards aren't good at getting him the ball. It's a little like the Vonleh year, where our guards simply aren't patient enough to let things play out. I've watched numerous times where TB is open on the block but the guard (usually Blackmon) is way to quick to swing the ball and TB is wide open a split-second late. 

So while he hasn't been as dominant as expected, I don't think that means he hasn't been really good and impactful. He definitely impacts games in a lot of ways beyond scoring. But yes, we do need to get him much more involved in the offense to be as good as we hope. 

What is the difference between TB and DD in the post?

Edit: Not as much film on DD? Guards doing a better job of getting DD the ball in good position? I've actually been surprised by JBJ's willingness to pass the ball this season. That's not to say the ball doesn't stick in his hands sometimes but I've seen him much more willing to pass it than in years past.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

What is the difference between TB and DD in the post?

Edit: Not as much film on DD? Guards doing a better job of getting DD the ball in good position? I've actually been surprised by JBJ's willingness to pass the ball this season. That's not to say the ball doesn't stick in his hands sometimes but I've seen him much more willing to pass it than in years past.

I've thought about that as well, and it's probably a variety of things. Teams aren't keying on Davis defensively like they are TB and Davis has a wider frame so to Wayne's point he does clear out and seal better than TB. I'd also be curious to see the difference in who their minutes are with in terms of the guards they're on the floor with. For example, someone like a Devonte Green is going to look to pass more than a JBJ. 

Semi-official good news.  Go get 'em, OG!!!

Hoosiers forward OG Anunoby (ankle) to return Saturday

8:56 AM ET
  • katz_andy_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Andy KatzESPN Senior Writer

The Indiana Hoosiers will get OG Anunoby back Saturday for the rivalry game against Butler in Indianapolis. He missed the past three games with a left ankle sprain.

Indiana coach Tom Crean said in a text Thursday that Anunoby will play, but he's not sure if he will start against the No. 18 Bulldogs (9-1). The No. 9 Hoosiers (8-1) have won the last three games against low Division I teams without Anunoby. He suffered the injury in the Hoosiers' 76-67 victory over North Carolina on Nov. 30.

Anunoby, a 6-8 sophomore, is averaging 12.5 points and six rebounds a game.

Butler coach Chris Holtmann told ESPN that to beat Indiana, the Bulldogs must limit the Hoosiers' clean 3-point looks, prevent the Hoosiers from driving the lane and keep the Hoosiers from dominating the backboard.

The guards haven't been getting Thomas the ball in spots they need too. I've seen Rob miss TB on pick and rolls waaaay too many times. It just seems to me like the guards on this team like to take over possessions instead of taking what the defense gives them. Out of all the guards though, I like Curtis' post entry passing the best. I don't think it's just his chemistry with TB either because he seems to do a pretty good job at getting De'ron the ball when he calls too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app