Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) PF Jake Forrester to IU

I've heard 1st hand accounts that much of what he does is sporadic and chaotic, in regards to practice schedules, practice content, etc.. I'm sure recruiting falls into that too.

How many 2018 spots are we looking at? 2-3?

Jallow, Langford, Phinisee..... Then about 5-10 other offers already. I don't really get or understand the plan ever.

I'm guessing many of these are contingent offers but I hate the idea of that too. I guess I don't know enough about it, but our results indicate a recent lack of recruiting success. Gotta wonder what all plays into it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I'm not 100% certain just where Forrester is enrolled this year.  In '14-15, he attended Central Dauphin HS in Harrisburg, PA.  In Aug. '15, he announced he would transfer to Kiski School in Saltsburg, PA (about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh) and re-classify to '18.   Good background on Forrester and family in the following:

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/-7269964313469696720/central-dauphins-basketball-playing-jake-forrester-making-the-move-to-western-pennsylvanias-kiski-prep/

This snippet from December '15:   JAKE FORRESTER, PF, KISKI SCHOOL, 2018: One hard-playing forward who posts hard down low on the block and is engaged on every loose ball and rebound opportunity, Jake Forrester displayed a wealth of upside during his time on the floor at Kiski on Sunday. While he isn’t the most athletic of guys around, that doesn’t affect the Pennsylvania native’s ability in producing from 15-feet and in. He shows off major shades of Wake Forest star big man Devin Thomas within his arsenal as he passes the ball very well facing the basket, plays angles well on the block, has a solid turn and face jumper from the mid-range, and is a giant area rebounder of the ball. With a lone offer in hand from North FloridaForrester has the capabilities to become a top-100 recruit within his respective recruiting class.

In June 2016 he received an offer from Temple and was quoted in the following cbssports article:  " I hold offers from Siena, North Florida, Rice, Bowling Green, Boston U, and Stony Brook."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/temple-offers-versatile-2018-f-jake-forrester/

Central Dauphin to Kiski and now apparently attending Westtown HS in Norristown, PA.  I could not find any summer 2016 AAU stats for him as he apparently did not play 'up'.

Based solely on the limited information I've found, I can't understand why we would extend an offer.  He's certainly not on any high major radar screen.

29 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm not 100% certain just where Forrester is enrolled this year.  In '14-15, he attended Central Dauphin HS in Harrisburg, PA.  In Aug. '15, he announced he would transfer to Kiski School in Saltsburg, PA (about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh) and re-classify to '18.   Good background on Forrester and family in the following:

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/-7269964313469696720/central-dauphins-basketball-playing-jake-forrester-making-the-move-to-western-pennsylvanias-kiski-prep/

This snippet from December '15:   JAKE FORRESTER, PF, KISKI SCHOOL, 2018: One hard-playing forward who posts hard down low on the block and is engaged on every loose ball and rebound opportunity, Jake Forrester displayed a wealth of upside during his time on the floor at Kiski on Sunday. While he isn’t the most athletic of guys around, that doesn’t affect the Pennsylvania native’s ability in producing from 15-feet and in. He shows off major shades of Wake Forest star big man Devin Thomas within his arsenal as he passes the ball very well facing the basket, plays angles well on the block, has a solid turn and face jumper from the mid-range, and is a giant area rebounder of the ball. With a lone offer in hand from North FloridaForrester has the capabilities to become a top-100 recruit within his respective recruiting class.

In June 2016 he received an offer from Temple and was quoted in the following cbssports article:  " I hold offers from Siena, North Florida, Rice, Bowling Green, Boston U, and Stony Brook."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/temple-offers-versatile-2018-f-jake-forrester/

Central Dauphin to Kiski and now apparently attending Westtown HS in Norristown, PA.  I could not find any summer 2016 AAU stats for him as he apparently did not play 'up'.

Based solely on the limited information I've found, I can't understand why we would extend an offer.  He's certainly not on any high major radar screen.

Westtown, PA. Same school as Brandon Randolph and Mo Bamba.

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A couple of points of interest:

-> He is apparently about to start appearing on the high major radar:

"Heading into the event this weekend, all of the talk surrounding the Westtown basketball program was about five-star big man Mo Bamba, Arizona signee Brandon Randolph, and five-star junior small forward Cameron Reddish. However, it was Jake Forrester, a 6-foot-8 forward out of central Pennsylvania, which took the floor by storm. "

No surprise that there will be late arrivals to the scene.

-> He is a very good student who re-classified to '18 once upon a time. I betcha betcha betcha we are looking at him for '17, not '18.

Westtown is in West Chester, Pa. about 10-15 miles from Norristown. Same school as Brandon Randolph, Mo Bamba (as mentioned above) and Cam Reddish. Cam is originally out of Norristown, Pa and have heard Crean has watched him. Much bigger fish

14 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Westtown is in West Chester, Pa. about 10-15 miles from Norristown. Same school as Brandon Randolph, Mo Bamba (as mentioned above) and Cam Reddish. Cam is originally out of Norristown, Pa and have heard Crean has watched him. Much bigger fish

So why do we throw an offer at Forrester?  Rhetorical question; just doesn't make sense IMO.

Flavor of the day.

Who really knows.

Sounds almost like a Emmit Holt type player to me.

Honest question. At what point does the staff lose recruiting confidence?

Second question, can this staff keep winning at the rate they are with recruiting under the radar kids? I ask this because maybe we can. Idk. To answer my own question, I think we can. However I don't think we will beat the blue bloods consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Class of said:
So why do we throw an offer at Forrester?  Rhetorical question; just doesn't make sense IMO.

Unfortunately there is a lot of moving parts in the game of recruiting that us message board recruiting followers will never fully be aware of. A couple of things to keep in mind. Iu has been tracking Bamba for a while and has seen forrester play more then this month so I don't feel this is a flavor of the month. Another thing is when dealing with a team that is loaded with talent, other players on the team seem to be misevaluated. Victor olidipo was under ranked partly because his team was loaded. College coaches get paid big money to use their judgement in these instances. This year painter got a steal in Carson Edwards( he played on a loaded team aau team with fox from Kentucky)
You never no when a kid is going to blow up and go from a little or middle fish to a big fish. Colin sexton wasn't always a top 10 player and Alabama evaluating him and offering early might of played into him choosing bama over Kansas. Last year wenyen Gabriel went from unranked (only offers New Hampshire, and providence only high major offer) to top 10 prospect in a matter of 1 evaluation period. I don't know how forrester will turn out but when scouting services point out in articles that he is one that helped his stock the most then I start to pay attention and will track his progress. Just my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It makes sense if he's good enough.

Not trying to be a smartass; he's a 6'8" face-up wing who rebounds at a high level and is a high-character kid. We are likely going to lose OG, and so, Forrester's description fits the "we need that" bill. Is he the right guy for that slot? I have no idea, but apparently the IUBB staff has seen him in person, (I expect on multiple occasions) and thinks he might be.

36 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It makes sense if he's good enough.

Not trying to be a smartass; he's a 6'8" face-up wing who rebounds at a high level and is a high-character kid. We are likely going to lose OG, and so, Forrester's description fits the "we need that" bill. Is he the right guy for that slot? I have no idea, but apparently the IUBB staff has seen him in person, (I expect on multiple ocassions) and thinks he is.

45 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of moving parts in the game of recruiting that us message board recruiting followers will never fully be aware of.

As to USPS, such nonsense you speak.  This board is all-knowing and the most intelligent and insightful board in our solar system.  LOL

And for you Stu as well as USPS, I do understand what you're saying.  In part, I guess I just don't fully understand our love affair with the east coast which is where the majority of our offers seem to go.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not an "only Indiana" believer, but when I see an offer such as the one made to Forrester, my thought is aren't there any other equally good recruit candidates between the Appalachians and the Rockies?  OK, I'm done!

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

As to USPS, such nonsense you speak.  This board is all-knowing and the most intelligent and insightful board in our solar system.  LOL

And for you Stu as well as USPS, I do understand what you're saying.  In part, I guess I just don't fully understand our love affair with the east coast which is where the majority of our offers seem to go.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not an "only Indiana" believer, but when I see an offer such as the one made to Forrester, my thought is aren't there any other equally good recruit candidates between the Appalachians and the Rockies?  OK, I'm done!

It would be incredibly disappointing if there was real evidence that we prioritized similar or lesser recruits from the east coast over the Midwest.

It would also be disappointing if we took a player who would not be as valuable to our roster just because he was from the Midwest.

It's a long-standing discussion on this board, but there's plenty of evidence that we work hard locally and regionally (Gelon, OG, Juwan, JSmith, etc), but don't pass up a good opportunity from the east. For the past few years, it seems that the most valued common denominator among our recruiting interests has been character, with high-level talent as the second highest priority.

Ranking service star ratings? That is not a dis-qualifier, but also most assuredly is not a real factor.

Jaedon LeDee has an offer and he is from Texas does that count . I hear what u r saying