Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Some tough questions need to be asked of Fred Glass

From what it sounds like Fred Glass did right thing but this is THIRD time a coach on his watch has had off field issues. First the softball coach nearly got axed for abusing player, than the women's coach axed for something having to do with off field incident and way he treated people I think, now Wilson for abusing players.

How many questionable characters can Glass bring in before people wonder? Interestingly I have met Glass a few times and really like him and think he is a great guy but clearly his judgment in people's character when hiring is an issue. This needs to be addressed.

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

From what it sounds like Fred Glass did right thing but this is THIRD time a coach on his watch has had off field issues. First the softball coach nearly got axed for abusing player, than the women's coach axed for something having to do with off field incident and way he treated people I think, now Wilson for abusing players.

How many questionable characters can Glass bring in before people wonder? Interestingly I have met Glass a few times and really like him and think he is a great guy but clearly his judgment in people's character when hiring is an issue. This needs to be addressed.

Don't agree. I'd argue that he's stricter than your average AD, and much quicker to pull the trigger or label and issue as a zero tolerance violation.

If what the Oklahoma player said about ripping players helmet off is true clearly they're were warning signs prior to the hire. Also look how long it took Glass to act as this has been going on for several years. As I said I think Glass is a great guy but clearly he is over looking character issues based on the examples of the 3 coaches I citied above. I would have no problem with Glass staying on as AD but having nothing to do with future hires of coaches. However, trustees need to audit his hiring process

The solution is so simple. Kevin Wilson is not a medical professional. The athletic department should have a system in place in which players can only play once they are medically cleared by doctors or trainers (who are not "Yes" men to the head coach).

I blame the athletic department for not recognizing the issue before it became an issue.

The solution is so simple. Kevin Wilson is not a medical professional. The athletic department should have a system in place in which players can only play once they are medically cleared by doctors or trainers (who are not "Yes" men to the head coach).

I blame the athletic department for not recognizing the issue before it became an issue.

But if so simple, why would Glass not do just that? Glass has been slow to make changes for the most part and if the fix is that simple then you make this change and keep your coach.

Also Alex Bozich just reminded everyone on Twitter (and I forgot about this) is they had to dismiss the Tennis coach for a similar reason and Water Polo coach for an unknown reason (although it should be noted program was winning at a high level when dismissed). A disturbing pattern?

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

But if so simple, why would Glass not do just that? Glass has been slow to make changes for the most part and if the fix is that simple then you make this change and keep your coach.

I agree with you that it is simple. The reason Wilson has to be fired is that Bob Ley is already producing his "Outside the Lines" segment on the mistreatment of IU football players. Once the media gets a hold of something like this - you have to cut bait or they will completely wreck your university.

Note: I don't actually know that it is going to be on OTL, but it sounds like ESPN is interviewing people.

3 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I don't he's that great in evaluating and hiring coaches, but the guy really knows how to raise money and market the team real well.  

That's what the hiring firms are for. So if there were prior indiscretions with Wilson before IU, Cool Dad can palm it off on lack of research by the firm that recommended Wilson.

16 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

That's what the hiring firms are for. So if there were prior indiscretions with Wilson before IU, Cool Dad can palm it off on lack of research by the firm that recommended Wilson.

You can hire them for football and basketball, but I imagine it wouldn't be cost effective to hir them for the rest of our sports.